It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shark Culling begins in Western Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

large shark was killed off the west Australian coast on Sunday, the first under a contentious new state government culling policy aimed at curbing fatal shark attacks.

The Western Australia government on Saturday began placing baited hooks on drum lines off popular beaches in the state capital Perth and to the south to kill white, bull and tiger sharks over three meters (10 feet) long.

The policy is a response to seven fatal shark attacks in Australia's southwest in three years.

I am absolutely floored by this. The stupidity of this is amazing!

The federal government last week gave state authorities a special exemption from environmental laws to kill white sharks, a protected species.

abc

So they don't know what shark did this, so they kill all the big ones. I wonder how many people drown off that beach as opposed to death by shark.

◾Here in Australia, about 20 people a year die from horse riding accidents.

Better shoot all of the horses then while you are at it.

link

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I too think of this as a disgusting human atrocity, like so many others. We rape, we pillage, we slaughter, and for what? To feel 'safe.' To feel 'superior.' All this, after I've been reading for quite some time now, that shark populations are on the decline due to the demand in Asian circles for their parts. I sometimes think they should just detonate an atomic bomb underwater and kill everything down there, then no more danger. No more food too, but WTH, we'd be 'safe.'

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
When I heard about this about a week ago...I thought it was just some facebook hoax going around..I saw this..this morning on the local news. I couldn't believe it..I just cannot believe they would kill sharks to feel safer..how sad..how very sad..I just don't know where or how this world is going to survive much longer.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Humanity could stand a good culling of these type of people.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I live in Perth.

I am embarrassed and disgusted.

The ocean is NOT our natural habitat - it is theirs.

You play with fire - you risk getting burnt.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Wow sharks hunting in their own natural habitat...how dare they!

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Ban people from swimming, or driving, or walking, or stepping foot out of their house, or off their couch. You could die doing those things!

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
It's one thing to do this with land animals where they have a pretty accurate estimate of the population, but I'm not sure how you make the case they know anything of the sort here.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Australia, what else can we expect ........they'll wake up one day, maybe

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I support culling large sharks that come close to shore.
If we were out in the ocean catching them it would be different, but we're looking for man eaters close to populated beaches.
The ocean is their territory, not the beach 50-100m from the sand.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Except they've discovered some places in South Africa where the large whites cruise close to shore just to hang out and rest apparently. They hang out just off where the surf starts to break and cruise really slowly. It's almost like they're sunbathing. They clearly aren't hunting. Now that's not to say one wouldn't take a chunk out of someone if it got curious, but they have plenty of chances and don't take them.

Who's to say they aren't culling sharks doing that in Australia? Do they know?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Because we've had 7 deaths in 3 years.
Our sharks aren't sun-baking.
Also there has been a dramatic increase in the deaths/attacks that in my opinion, co-insides with the ban on hunting GWS.
We've let them breed, feed and thrive now we are at risk!

January 19th 2014
www.dailytelegraph.com.au...

BARELY 50m from the sand, these are the frightening pictures that show just how close a shark came to attacking unsuspecting swimmers. Typically spotted around dawn and dusk, these photographs of the four-metre great white shark coming within metres of swimmers at Hawks Nest, on the state's north coast, were taken around lunchtime.

November 13th 2013
www.perthnow.com.au...

Trigg Beach was closed yesterday afternoon when a four-metre shark was sighted 50m offshore.
At 3.45pm the beach was re-opened, about an hour after the shark was reported.
Shaun Daly, 19, said the shark nudged him in the water.
"It was massive, it was a big boy," Mr Daly said.
"It full on went for me, I would have been chomped fully, it full-on knocked me off my board... it was going for the kill."

I support culling large sharks that are close to shore!

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I used to be so proud to be a Western Australian but this is dosgusting & inhumane and it saddens me even seeing what they have done to our beaches aka the sharks homes! majority of people here that i talk to dont support it, even shark attack survivors dont! On the news last week there was a thing on Japanese killing Dolphins & how disgusted Australia was at this yet we allow this to happen?

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Can you tell me how much backlash the government is getting from this?

Not that other countries don't have to deal with these controversies. The US government allows ranchers to shoot wolves if the wolves threaten livestock.

So scum ranchers go around shooting wolves and then claim they were a "threat".

Also if the bison wander off yellowstone, they are open season. It is very sad.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Agit8dChop
I support culling large sharks that come close to shore.
If we were out in the ocean catching them it would be different, but we're looking for man eaters close to populated beaches.
The ocean is their territory, not the beach 50-100m from the sand.

For many sharks, those are their hunting grounds. Sharks are old creatures and have been around for millions of years. Humans, not so much.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Agit8dChop
reply to post by ketsuko

Because we've had 7 deaths in 3 years.
Our sharks aren't sun-baking.
Also there has been a dramatic increase in the deaths/attacks that in my opinion, co-insides with the ban on hunting GWS.
We've let them breed, feed and thrive now we are at risk!

January 19th 2014
www.dailytelegraph.com.au...

BARELY 50m from the sand, these are the frightening pictures that show just how close a shark came to attacking unsuspecting swimmers. Typically spotted around dawn and dusk, these photographs of the four-metre great white shark coming within metres of swimmers at Hawks Nest, on the state's north coast, were taken around lunchtime.

November 13th 2013
www.perthnow.com.au...

Trigg Beach was closed yesterday afternoon when a four-metre shark was sighted 50m offshore.
At 3.45pm the beach was re-opened, about an hour after the shark was reported.
Shaun Daly, 19, said the shark nudged him in the water.
"It was massive, it was a big boy," Mr Daly said.
"It full on went for me, I would have been chomped fully, it full-on knocked me off my board... it was going for the kill."

I support culling large sharks that are close to shore!

If I go into grizzly bear country, and get mauled by a bear, I would beg the bear to not be killed.

You can't kill off food supplies and habitat, and expect animals to not respond.

It is not a necessity for humans to go to the beach and swim. If you don't want to take the risk, go to a pool.

Sharks shouldn't be killed so people think they can feel safe doing recreational activities.

You do realize that they are killing 3 different species f shark even though they have no idea who is doing it?

new topics

top topics

join