It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian official confirms country sought to build nuclear weapons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

A founder of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards now admits that the Islamic Republic was seeking to acquire nuclear weapons. This is the first time any regime official has made such an admission, even as another report claims that one of Iran’s most radical clerics was the spiritual overseer of the nuclear weapons program.

“We pursued ways in order to gain nuclear arms,” Gen. Mohsen Rafiqdoost told the regime’s Mehr News on Saturday. “I asked Imam [Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini] what his opinion was. He said do not pursue atoms, and we stopped.”

But that claim falls short of the truth. In the late 1980s, a letter by Mohsen Rezaei, then the chief commander of the Guards, asking Khomeini, the founder of the Islamic Revolution, for approval of the nuclear bomb program was revealed. It showed the leader had approved of seeking nuclear weapons.

Rafiqdoost became the first minister of the Guards and was in charge of purchasing arms on the black market.

Iranian officials have for a long time denied that there ever was a nuclear bomb program and have consistently insisted that the country’s nuclear program is for peaceful purposes to help feed its only existing nuclear power plant and ones the country plans to build.

Read more: dailycaller.com...

The above is from the DailyCaller. Click the link for the remainder of the article, which seems to be extensive in terms of dates, places and times.
Below is from the Iranian website that ran the article in question.

Mehrnews

The translation is horrible so if anyone knows of a better way / speaks the language and can translate for us it would be appreciated. Secondly the site has the English option up top, however when you select it the article is question is longer available / does not show up.

So what do people think?

Is it possible Iran is deceiving the world or is it possible Iran did have nuclear ambitions but has since renounced them? Are there any other situations where the Ayatollah has reversed position?

Also - an important note -

This author, who spied for the CIA in the Revolutionary Guards, revealed in the book “A Time to Betrays Saddam Hussein was trying to acquire nuclear weapons.s first centrifuges.

edit on 27-1-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-1-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

So they aren't and haven't been pursuing nuclear weapons.

Does he give dates? They were, but stopped. When did they stop, 30 years ago? Definitely quite a while back.

I guess Ben was a little off when he said they would have a nuke within a year (every year that he said that fort he last 10 years).

If you don't consider the Mehr news credible, you can't sincerely consider the dailycaller credible? It's hit and miss with the truth. It can be a secondary source, but I wouldn't trust it with stories that touch on foreign subject and especially ones that are known to be used for propaganda.
edit on 27-1-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Also, what's the point of the article? Even if it shows that the guy lied as an anecdote it doesn't show that they are and have in fact been building.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Nooo!

Don't!

Just don't!

Whatever the message, whoever the interviewee, just don't, in any way, use the word "confirmed" about anything - at all - stemming from an Tehran based news source!

Especially if owned by something called the "Islamic Ideology Dissemination Organization"!

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
All this does is confirm that Iran has in the past pursued nuclear armament. That doesn't mean the article's trying to say they're doing it now; calm down.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Xcathdra

Funny thing is that there are countries on this planet that have gone way beyond the phase of seeking to build. I hear tell that some have extensive on-going R&D programs, and some even have massive nuclear arsenals.

Perhaps these countries are as much a part of the problem as Iran. After all, if I know that the bully down the street has a big stick, it's only natural for me to get a bigger stick.

(See my signature line for the ultimate irony.)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The article talks about "Khomeini’s era (33years ago)" where things was «EXTREME», revolution was something new, Iranian army was scattered, issues of curfew in every cities, fighting insurgencies and domestic terrorism (MEK) and the other local dissident movement (especially communism) and in the middle of this soup Saddam Hussein forces was inside of Iranian western borders killing civilians destroying cities.

The whole western world was against Iran not to mention Iranian's arch enemy the "Soviet" helping and supplying Saddam’s invading army while refusing to support what the Shah of Iran and the government are “already paid for in advance back in his ruling time (like supposedly Iranian F-16 suddenly showed up in Israeli air force)!” etc.

In that sense:

“We pursued ways in order to gain nuclear arms,” Gen. Mohsen Rafiqdoost told the regime’s Mehr News on Saturday. “I asked Imam [Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini] what his opinion was. He said do not pursue atoms, and we stopped.”

Article is correctly translated and there are no (mistranslations).

Option was open to Iranian at that time and I pity them if they have refused to accept it.

edit on 27-1-2014 by amkia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DupontDeux

That's not my doing.. Per T&C I used the articles exact headline.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

GogoVicMorrow

Also, what's the point of the article? Even if it shows that the guy lied as an anecdote it doesn't show that they are and have in fact been building.

Apparently you missed this part of my op -

Is it possible Iran is deceiving the world or is it possible Iran did have nuclear ambitions but has since renounced them? Are there any other situations where the Ayatollah has reversed position?

As for the sources I brought up their credibility because I have seen issues with them in the past. The Iranian outlet im not familiar with so instead of just taking something at face value I asked if anyone who was familiar with either to sound off. One person did just that, noting the article is correctly translated.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Iran has already talked about building nuclear powered submarines. The belief they will not try to make nuclear weapons is about as stupid as thinking North Korea wouldn't have.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

This entire concept of Iran wanting or having a nuke is just silly. I suggest Israel GIVE IRAN A NUKE. Just give em one. There ya go, now what the hell can they do with it ? Nothing ! Nukes have signatures. The very old moronic argument goes, evil Iran MIGHT give it to Hamas [ pointless ] What would Iran do with said nuke ? NOTHING ! The whole world knows Iran is NOT insane and would prefer their Country remain in tact vs a sheet of melting Real Estate. The thought is simply unworthy of discussion. PERIOD !

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dazbog

You just proved you have zero idea how things work. Do some contemplation and if you actually think you will be amazed how wrong you are.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Xcathdra
reply to post by DupontDeux

That's not my doing.. Per T&C I used the articles exact headline.

So it is - My apologies. :-)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
As long as Isreal has Nulcear weapons I recognise Iran right for them too, espeicaly as Isreal refuses inspections or the same treatys as the rest of the world.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

OccamsRazor04
reply to post by dazbog

You just proved you have zero idea how things work. Do some contemplation and if you actually think you will be amazed how wrong you are.

Really ? I'm all ears . Enlighten me with your superior insight. I've stated mine. You my friend have offered nothing to indicate the error of my statement. Seriously, I'm slightly curious. Very slightly, but I will listen and consider what you have to say. If however your reasoning involves the alleged destabilization of the region through the introduction of yet another Country with a Nuke. Please don't bother. Belarus, Kazakhstan & Ukraine had access to nukes in 91 [ Per the State Department ] India; Israel Pakistan collectively have approximately 400. The fly in the ointment is Netanyahu.
He is shaking his pecker at the World " We have nukes but you [ Iran member of NPT ] Can't ! Additionally ,after his PUBLIC hypocritical rants on nukes [ other then theirs ] he wants the U.S. to do his bidding.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by dazbog

Think NK being impervious to attack no matter what they do ... wonder why ....

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

OccamsRazor04
reply to post by dazbog

Think NK being impervious to attack no matter what they do ... wonder why ....

I will indeed listen to what you have as I would with anyone of sound mind. Always willing to learn.

Your reply being overtly obtuse leaves me little to work with. NK - NUKE ? -North Korea ?
Who or what is ' impervious to attack ' ? " no matter what they do [ who are 'they' ? ]
Shoot .................. no guessing : ) Thanks

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Ah yes the daily caller a NeoCon News desperate for WARS WARS And Bloodshed.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dazbog

Your post proves my initial point that you have zero understanding, and it seems you just aren't able to understand if you can't figure out what NK means or 'they'.

Everything you need is there.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04
reply to post by dazbog

Your post proves my initial point that you have zero understanding, and it seems you just aren't able to understand if you can't figure out what NK means or 'they'.

Everything you need is there.

Apparently I have been misinformed. I assumed this venue [ ATS ] was to be utilized for the EXCHANGE of concepts, thoughts and opinions between intelligent rational MATURE individuals.

I offered an opinion with my reasons supporting said conclusion. You are welcome to refute my conclusion.
I've been polite " No guessing " smiled and offed a Thanks. What do I get from OccamsRazor ? More sophomoric
prattle suggesting my conclusions are incorrect because I am incapable of guessing whatever the hell is going on in your head ! The handle ' Occam's razor is most appropriate. The maxim that assumptions introduced to explain a thing must not be multiplied beyond necessity. Therefore I must go with, you are unable to refute my prior post. The simplest explanation. : ) Cheers

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join