It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter Trekking gear- Crampons and microclamps and ice cleats.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
So the TV news this morning said the Carolina's could expect a major ice storm this week, like on Wednesday--- and I thought now might be a good time to talk a little about the kinds of gear we mountain folk use to get around on the snow and ice.

Let me start by saying I am not a survivalist... But I am a mountaineer... Winter Spring summer or fall I love hiking, climbing, mountain biking, hunting, fishing... Don't get me started on skiing
I could fill hundreds of pages writing about my favorite winter sport...but today we're going to talk about Crampons.

So lets start at the beginning
from wiki

A crampon is a traction device used to improve mobility on snow and ice during ice climbing.[1] There are three main attachment systems for footwear: step-in, hybrid, and strap bindings. The first two require boots with welts, the last adapt to any type.

Oscar Eckenstein designed the first 10-point crampon in 1908, dramatically reducing the need for step cutting.

and this is what they look like

And this is what I used them for

Pretty self explanatory right?

The one's I use are made by Black Diamond
looking at the list, prices start around $130 USD.

Now they make several very different types of crampons. some are made to slip on over a boot, other's are made to clip onto your snow/ski boots. they even make a type of crampon that fits to your cross country ski's to aid in hill climbing... trust me on this, ski crampons sound like a good idea but your better off using skins.

personally I prefer the type that straps on over your boot and if your lucky enough to have a store you can walk into 'REI' and try on the various models. then I strongly suggest you go in wearing the boots you'll want to use them with. In other words, make sure they fit before you lay down your hard earned cash...

MicroCramp or trail runners

Like this set from Yaktrax are a lot less aggressive they work pretty well on crunchy snow and ice... this pair BTW sells for only $30...FYI they don't hold up all that well if your trekking rock fields or concrete sidewalks.

Even Wal-Mart sells what they call an Ice Cleat

The Wally World Web Site says their out of stock online but check with your local store... I've seen them hidden in both sporting goods and shoe departments...usually in some out of the way place you wouldn't think to look for them cost around $15-16 USD. down side is they don't have a lot of 'Bite'

The rule of thumb 'You get what you pay for' is very much in effect here.
If all you need is to cross a few icy streets then by all means save your money and go to Wal-Mart or better still buy the Yaktrax.

But if your going to do some serious winter backcountry trekking then you need some
Serious Gear
edit on 27-1-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I wish we had the weather here to use such equipment, just made some snow chains for my power chair!!. I may be 3/4 crippled, but that wont stop me!. great gear review.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I've always looked to mountaineering for my survival skills. If a human being can survive the rigors of a mountain like Everest -- that's who I'm looking to!

One thing to keep in mind if you want crampons like the first ones in the OP -- you'll need crampon compatible boots. A good pair of gaiters is always a good buy.

You have to be careful with the slip on kind, as I've lost a few pairs over the years. Somehow they mysteriously seem to fall off.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by billyvonhelvete

You might want to see if you have a local Sierra Club where you are...
they often host backcountry and mountaineering events for disabled persons...

while they may not be able to teach you anything you don't already know they would have access to specialized gear and equipment you might find useful?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Yeah, I've lost a number of them too...
Most of them use rubber as a kind of tensioner and we all know when rubber gets old and or cold... it becomes brittle... a nic from a sharp rock will cause tearing too.
that's why we always check and recheck our equipment, right?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by HardCorps

thanks, il give them a look.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Yea I got a couple of sets of yak trax.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Pretty self explanatory right?

Yes. Snow and ice is slippery but the sharp pointy thingies keep you from slipping, right? Cool.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

nixie_nox
Yea I got a couple of sets of yak trax.

I buddy of mine turned me onto the Yaktrax.
He uses his when he fishes mountain streams and rivers.
say's they give him that extra bit of grip standing on the gravel beds and river rocks.

Mine came in real handy this weekend when the wife and I took our girls to Aspen to watch the X Games

Here's a live web cam of the mountain

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

ProdigalSonofa

Yeah well I'm a guy
so if I didn't have pictures to get my point across then you 'all
would be stuck with a lot of pointing head nods and grunts

top topics

join