It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buddhist Extremist Cell Vows To Unleash Tranquility On West

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

_damon
reply to post by iRoyalty

It could or not. Meditation is a tool used to enhance your mind, deeper perception, better understanding, useful introspection, it has great effects on the body also, the brain for instance, it certainly improves blood circulation, improve your breathing and cells are better oxygenated but it is in the nature of things. These are just the first improvements. It makes you think clearly and you are in deeper connection with yourself, you can achieve peace of mind, be in total control of your emotions... And many others things that are even more outstanding though it requires to practise for decades unless you have a knack for it.

But it doesnt change your personality, it doesnt change your past, it doesnt remove hate, anger, fears although if thats the intent then yes its possible. What i mean is, as a tool, it can be used by anyone as long as one is patient and open minded and motivated. But a tool can be used in various ways. There are no absolute. While meditating you can find that good/evil are illusions. But you still can choose to play the game of duality. You can use a chainsaw for its right purpose or to do "evil" deeds or both. Same goes with meditation. It wont set you on the right path in the sense of there is not one unique right path but as many as there are living things. If the intent is to change yourself to become what you believe to be an ideal, yes you can. Doesnt mean you became the perfect model that everyone should aspire for. Enlightenment.. is different for each.

So would it make the world better? Yes and no. Traders do meditate, inmates, politicians, serial killers,... Does it make them better do you think? What if they choose to remain on their paths which would be seen as "evil" by most people, but use meditation as a way to improve their intrinsic qualities, talents, gifts, states of mind but without changing the path they took initially? What make you think that you are any better than them? In their head you are not. Yet meditation will still work for them. It will improve them the way they want. Would a total nihilistic comes to love life if he started meditating? Only if he wanted to, else he still could come to many realizations without changing his views of life. Do you get it? It can be used in various ways, in an infinite number of ways if i might say. There are no absolutes. Why do you think the world is still degrading? Unless you force everyone to think the same way you think the best - and who are you to choose that - which would be no different as mind control, it will do no good.

Anyways it is impossible to force people to meditate. You can sing of it all you want most people are too brainwashed. It is reality. They emprison themselves (with the help of the government) and they wont get out. Besides it requires faith, patience, motivation, perseverance to achieve a bit of what it can give and even with that, if you dont have the right mindset, you will never go past a certain point which i dare to say, is only when the real magic begins. Nothing is free.

You should have opened with this.

I believe I just got enlightened!

Very very true, I have always been a good person, sure it helped turn me away from drugs, binge drinking and pointless sex but I was always nice.

It is impossible for me to know what effects meditation would have on a socio-path say, so very well said.

But I like to think it's only really that 1/10 that are not inherently good people, perhaps it could make that 9/10 more proactive, start realising the things that are really important instead of caring which celeb is boinking who!

Perhaps it would put the world into a perspective where those 9/10 good people in this world will have the mentality to finally ensure that good people take the roles of leaders, rather than those who are not good, or who are controlled by people who do not care about this planet or it's inhabitants beyond their own personal gain.

Would this not entitle it to somewhat of a noble goal?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
At first I was like "yes!" I couldn't believe that a group of Buddhist monks would do this. Comedic genius!

Then I realized that the link is from The Onion guys. It then just became decently funny instead of incredible.

So close

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

The most difficult part is knowing what is good and what is bad.

You are meditating, but what are you 'meditating on'.

It is human nature to remember something repeatedly. Just recalling a memory is not meditating.

The learning begin from understanding 'dharma' - that is knowledge of good and bad, virtue and evil. The meditation comes later.

This is the reason teachers are put on a very high pedestal in 'Veda', as teachers have the most difficult job. Humans are easily given to flesh-pleasures. A teacher who teaches by example the virtues of following God's laws is a great teacher and a great human being, somebody who should be revered by all.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

mahatche

Aphorism
It's interesting to note that meditation has the same health benefits of a good nights sleep.

Maybe in some ways, but if everyone showed growth in their brains grey matter by simply sleeping, I'm sure this world would be a much better place. Actively going through the process of claiming your thoughts is also something you can't really do in your sleep.

To add to this, something else you can't get from sleep, is training yourself to be more disciplined and dedicated. I always feel great after meditating, I feel the positive effects both mentally and physically, you would think that would be enough to make me to do it more frequently, but actually sitting through it with any real consistently, is a major hurdle for just about everyone when they start. My mind goes off to so many other places, there are so many other things I could be doing. Sitting alone on my ass in complete silence doesn't always sound like the most stimulating option. It's so easy for me to neglect the practice of meditation.

Sleep is more like auto pilot. It's doing it's thing whether you like it or not, sleep and it's functions are typically unavoidable. In comparison consistently practicing effective meditation is one of the most difficult things I've tried. I always felt like my mind traveled more than the average person, I don't always feel present in the moment. My mind stays running in a million different directions. There are also times when I am sitting there, but not really practicing. It's the pointless mind numbing equivalent of zoning out into a day dream or watching TV. I always have to catch myself and bring myself back into an actual meditative practice. It's more difficult to do consistently than people realize.

I can't say I ever had to practice sleep.

edit on 29-1-2014 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
A great idea but I'm afraid it will fall on deaf ears, there's too much hate at present which is why the worlds in such a crapstorm

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Have heard of a similar experiment with a group
edit on 29-1-2014 by twowings because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mahatche

Meditation ('dhyaan' in Sanskrit) is just one part of the overall spiritual development. It is not all.

You may feel good inside and even develop some super-natural powers; but in the absence of other components that are needed, your capacity to change the world in positive ways is rather limited.

Please read the thread by "VedaTruth" on ATS to get a perspective on this.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

GargIndia

Meditation ('dhyaan' in Sanskrit) is just one part of the overall spiritual development. It is not all.

You may feel good inside and even develop some super-natural powers; but in the absence of other components that are needed, your capacity to change the world in positive ways is rather limited.

I'm aware of it. I don't expect any super powers either. I'm very realistic about it. I have a strong interest in philosophy as well, there is more to it than meditation, but meditation is a very effective way to influence the development of our brain and it's habits. We are just now beginning to understand just how plastic our minds can really be. I'm sure negative meditation could also change people for the worse as well. I think meditation gives you what you put into it.
edit on 29-1-2014 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

I appreciate your thoughts.

The Vedic way of teaching is a progression

1. The starting point is history so that student understands the achievements of role models.
2. Next is 'dharma' that is the knowledge of right and wrong
3. The third is practical sciences or skills that are needed to survive and do well in life; one of which is yoga. Please note that 'yoga' includes meditation.

Meditation is not for all. Only a few person succeed in meditation. Please note that 'dhyaan' is an advanced state. "Yoga" has eight parts and the parts are learned/practiced in sequence, as earlier parts are key to success in the later parts.

Meditation by a person of unstable mind can yield negative results. We must not assume that every meditation is positive.

I recommend the thread by "VedaTruth". The ancient wisdom of people of India called "Arya" is eternal wisdom. Everybody should try to learn this.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

GargIndia

My goodness, super natural powers?! Are you serious?! I'd love more powers!

Well I can "see", I'm a philosopher, a technical social engineer and I am not obscured. I have all eccentricity which means I am godly (I don't mean I'm god though). All this took me 12 years and I know about energy that goes from your stomach to your brain (that's a secret). These are my powers.

I REALLY have to study Buddhism!

I meditate sometimes anyways so I'll just get used to Buddhism and more meditation. This is good.

Thank you!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationsDivad

I would not advise any kind of meditation until you follow "yama" and "niyam".

Please read thread by "VedaTruth" before you start. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

GargIndia

I would not advise any kind of meditation until you follow "yama" and "niyam".

Please read thread by "VedaTruth" before you start. Thanks.

Thanks gargindia! I'll study your advice.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Our desires are the biggest impediment to spiritual progress.

Each soul is a prisoner of his own desires. (The soul is always referred as male in Veda)

When a soul meditates (with correct methods), the soul begins to gain positive energy and gains spiritual powers. However, if the desires are not controlled, the soul has a tendency to use the energy for fulfilling desires. This is why you see powerful and rich people who are so evil.

But remember that the results of meditation or any other spiritual practice cannot be defined in timeframes. You may get result in the current life, or a subsequent life. So if you have an intention to gain immediate benefit, then again meditation may be of limited use.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join