It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buddhist Extremist Cell Vows To Unleash Tranquility On West

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

_damon
reply to post by iRoyalty

And how are you gonna do this im curious? Right, by meditating... Please whoever believes he can changes the world just by sitting on his arse in deep breath and focused on his third eye is clueless. Dont you think it is a little too easy? Ah right as long as it is convenient for the comfort of the mind at the present, who cares?

Words are wind.

lol focused on the third eye?

anyway, the benfits of meditation have been scientifically documented with our new advances in neuroscience.

for example. www.sciencedaily.com...

I could give you plenty more articles on science sites if you are genuinely interested.

dan rather also did a very interesting report on it a years ago.

edit on 28-1-2014 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
It is in no way related, but interesting symbolism. Suicidal Tendencies ft. Metal Mulisha did this song to support their joint clothing line, but I wonder how the monk who was mentioned would respond to this video:

Smash It - Suicidal Tendencies ft.. Metal Mulisha:

If you watch it, there is video of a "monk" getting dirt thrown in his face by a bunch of guys on bikes. The lyrics also are taking from the perspective of the person who is not the monk. The lyrics say: "to me meditation would be a sin."

I think it is interesting that the video was just released, according to Suicidal Tendencies' website. Just look on the left hand side of the image at the top when the page loads.

Link to Suicidal Tendencies website:

suicidaltendencies.com
edit on 1/28/2014 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/28/2014 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by _damon

I take it you have never meditated before, so that alone means any opinion you have on what meditation can achieve is hollow.

I began meditating nearly a year now I think? I was so shocked at how quickly it improved my life.

One of my major problems has always been a lack of motivation, the first thing I would want to do after a meditation session is clean my entire house top to bottom. If you knew me you would know how unlike me that is, I am a king of procrastination! On top of that it helped me see a deeper side to life, how things are connected and how negativity can act like a wave through the people around you, and how positivity can do the same.

Meditation is now recognised as a medical treatment for anxiety and depression, if you ever suffer from it I would whole heartedly advise taking meditation up and I would be happy to give you tips if you wish to U2U me. Either way, a way of life that has survived 2,500 years a go would not still be alive and well if they were not onto something.

Anyway, the idea is not that one person meditating will change the world, but the world meditating could change everything. It helps you see a different side of life, we spend all our time thinking outwardly, how often do you TRULY look at yourself and not just at how others look at you?

ETA: Tibetan Buddhists have had a lot of scrutiny, if you follow the Dharma and The Precepts, stuff like human sacrifice and holy wars should not be possible.
edit on 28-1-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by InFriNiTee

That was sad to watch, especially being a biker myself!

Or I was.. until I got my own place and that meant I couldn't risk my health because of work...

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mahatche

Funny how people react so strongly to something i never said. Im fully aware of meditation's potential and was already aware of its benefits before science studied them. First i didnt learn meditation on wikihow or others popular how to bullsites, unlike many out there. Second you can meditate in various ways it doesnt have to follow such or such rule or method.

But you wont change the world for the better by meditating. Just your life. But i know it must feel good to believe that you actually change the world when in trance although its a big fat lie.
edit on 28-1-2014 by _damon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by _damon

Again, not by one person meditating, by getting the world to meditate...

Also the post was a HOAX and was just a bit of fun...

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
It's interesting to note that meditation has the same health benefits of a good nights sleep.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Hoax or not, i know many people, especially new age followers believe collective meditating can change the world. And you know what i call that? A belief out of desperation or is this rather a way of escaping the reality of the current world situation? I dont know, i never fell that low. But what do i know? I cant meditate and i dont know its benefits. You said so.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by _damon

Well I assumed, I left it open for debate.

If you are refering to new age hippys who sit in meditation circles trying to use positive energy almost as a physical force, then I would agree with you, anyone who takes drugs could never achieve true enlightenment (could be wrong but I doubt it).

Do you seriously think that if every person got into meditation they would not see the world differently? That they wouldn't be less depression, anxiety and hatred in this world? I'm a logical man and was an atheist before, I have just never been able to stress the good meditation can do for people.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Aphorism
It's interesting to note that meditation has the same health benefits of a good nights sleep.

Interesting you said this actually! When I come out of a deep meditation session I really do feel like I've just woken up, stretching yawning. I attend meditation classes too and everyone does the same thing. I believe there is some aspect of a sleepless sleep in meditation.

Also, what benefits are you talking of? Decreased anxiety and depression most certainly don't happen over night!

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

luciddream
Peace and Tranquility!?? what an evil statement!

NOOO its burns!!! i want violence and uproar.!!

Just wait till they flash-mob the airports and railway stations with meditation groups

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

_damon

Funny how people react so strongly to something i never said. Im fully aware of meditation's potential and was already aware of its benefits before science studied them. First i didnt learn meditation on wikihow or others popular how to bullsites, unlike many out there. Second you can meditate in various ways it doesnt have to follow such or such rule or method.

But you wont change the world for the better by meditating. Just your life. But i know it must feel good to believe that you actually change the world when in trance although its a big fat lie.

That was strong reaction to you? You are the only one being defensive. I merely pointed out that meditation has scientific backing, after you dismissively talked about sitting on your ass and breathing as if it has no effect.

You seem to be missing that this is a satirical article from the onion, no one is really suggesting the world is going to be saved.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Aphorism

Maybe in some ways, but if everyone showed growth in their brains grey matter by simply sleeping, I'm sure this world would be a much better place. Actively going through the process of claiming your thoughts is also something you can't really do in your sleep.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I'm confused, is this t3rror1sm? Weapons of mass tranquility?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

mahatche

That was strong reaction to you? You are the only one being defensive. I merely pointed out that meditation has scientific backing, after you dismissively talked about sitting on your ass and breathing as if it has no effect.

You seem to be missing that this is a satirical article from the onion, no one is really suggesting the world is going to be saved.

I agree..

_Damon, what's your real problem with meditation? Or Buddhism? You seem thoroughly frustrated by this ideology but you haven't given any reason why, except you doubt it's potency. You seem far too wound up for that to be the only reason.

If you don't know the answer to this, guess what I suggest? A little meditation haha!

One of the things that amazed me about it, was that it makes problems in your life seem minuscule, ridiculous even! It also helps you to see problems you didn't even know were there.

My offer is still open for some pointers if you U2U me, you have strong view points for someone who I'm not sure has even tried it, nothing bad can really come of it.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Illuminawty

Haha it's a hoax! They were pretending Buddhist's were threating the world with peace and tranquility in an al quieda mock up!

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Illuminawty
I'm confused, is this t3rror1sm? Weapons of mass tranquility?

the onion is a satirical news site. It also has stories like "New Dating Website Helps Plus-Size Jewish Plane Crash Survivors Find Love"

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
The Onion uncovers some good stuff. It is still satire though?
edit on 28-1-2014 by Harvin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

It could or not. Meditation is a tool used to enhance your mind, deeper perception, better understanding, useful introspection, it has great effects on the body also, the brain for instance, it certainly improves blood circulation, improve your breathing and cells are better oxygenated but it is in the nature of things. These are just the first improvements. It makes you think clearly and you are in deeper connection with yourself, you can achieve peace of mind, be in total control of your emotions... And many others things that are even more outstanding though it requires to practise for decades unless you have a knack for it.

But it doesnt change your personality, it doesnt change your past, it doesnt remove hate, anger, fears although if thats the intent then yes its possible. What i mean is, as a tool, it can be used by anyone as long as one is patient and open minded and motivated. But a tool can be used in various ways. There are no absolute. While meditating you can find that good/evil are illusions. But you still can choose to play the game of duality. You can use a chainsaw for its right purpose or to do "evil" deeds or both. Same goes with meditation. It wont set you on the right path in the sense of there is not one unique right path but as many as there are living things. If the intent is to change yourself to become what you believe to be an ideal, yes you can. Doesnt mean you became the perfect model that everyone should aspire for. Enlightenment.. is different for each.

So would it make the world better? Yes and no. Traders do meditate, inmates, politicians, serial killers,... Does it make them better do you think? What if they choose to remain on their paths which would be seen as "evil" by most people, but use meditation as a way to improve their intrinsic qualities, talents, gifts, states of mind but without changing the path they took initially? What make you think that you are any better than them? In their head you are not. Yet meditation will still work for them. It will improve them the way they want. Would a total nihilistic comes to love life if he started meditating? Only if he wanted to, else he still could come to many realizations without changing his views of life. Do you get it? It can be used in various ways, in an infinite number of ways if i might say. There are no absolutes. Why do you think the world is still degrading? Unless you force everyone to think the same way you think the best - and who are you to choose that - which would be no different as mind control, it will do no good.

Anyways it is impossible to force people to meditate. You can sing of it all you want most people are too brainwashed. It is reality. They emprison themselves (with the help of the government) and they wont get out. Besides it requires faith, patience, motivation, perseverance to achieve a bit of what it can give and even with that, if you dont have the right mindset, you will never go past a certain point which i dare to say, is only when the real magic begins. Nothing is free.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I should have said "fast impulsive reaction" instead.. And i was a bit sarcastic in my post as always. Sorry i forgot the smiley i know how people strongly depend on it.

Satirical or not, what i said still stands because there is a growing number of people thinking collective meditation can change the world. But its good you are not one of them.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join