It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today is International Holocaust Remembrance Day

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Today the 27/01/2014 is International Holocaust Remembrance Day, any thoughts fellow ATS members given that in this day of age we now consider anti semitic actions to be socially unacceptable?

Have we learned from the tragic events of the holocaust or are we doomed to repeat them?

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 27-1-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

andy06shake

Have we learned from the tragic events of the holocaust or are we doomed to repeat them?

Oh, we're learning something alright.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

I would like to hear what that something is Wingsfan? Your input is most welcome.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

I don't know. It seems like having a specific day anymore is pointless. Isn't every day holocaust day?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Atleast for us Rhoma gypsies porrjamos (holocaust) havnt end yet, they send Rhoma back to roads without their belongings, family members etc, they denied our suffering for decades, even in 2002 they denied by american president Rhoma from holocaust memory court. Nazies allie Romania continued evil genetic studies on around 80thousand Rhoma children up to 80th and today many countries in europe still killing Rhoma becouse their race. Maybe one day we can have justice too..

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   

No? We have stuff like Christmas day too...

You don't think that something like this should be remembered, even if it's just for one day?
edit on 27-1-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
If we need a day for every horrible thing humanity has done in the past everyday would be depressing.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Today the 27/01/2014 is International Holocaust Remembrance Day, any thoughts fellow ATS members...

It may be proclaimed as International Holocaust Remembrance Day, yet there are cultures/nations, individuals even, that may not engage in the observance of 27/01.

For those that choose to engage, that's ok... and for those that choose not to, well that's ok too.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Given the present political and socio economic climate i suppose that's a conclusion one may come to believe. I think we feel the need to assign dates/days to tragic events such as this so that people remember, lest we forget such atrocities, and in so doing repeat the actions of our predecessors.

Thing is, going by the ethnic cleansing/atrocities committed after the Nazi holocaust, have we really learned anything, or is this just an on going event playing to an agenda?

Albert Einstein said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. One may possible conclude that Humanity is insane as a whole considering the repetition!

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Annunak1
If we need a day for every horrible thing humanity has done in the past everyday would be depressing.

Honestly, I think we should remember things for 100 years (just because it sounds poetic) and then send them off with a bang!

If people still want to remember then it's their choice, rather than it being a national holiday.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   

iRoyalty

Annunak1

Honestly, I think we should remember things for 100 years (just because it sounds poetic) and then send them off with a bang!

If people still want to remember then it's their choice, rather than it being a national holiday.

I like that idea.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Why was this day chosen, was there a special event which occurred on January 27th? And it would be nice if the day focused on all the holocausts and not just one (American Indians, major wars, the Inquisition, some of the recent history of Africa, and many more).
edit on 27-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I have no idea, it looks to be a U.N resolution(Resolution 60/7), don't know if the date is in anyway significant.

As to inclusion of the rest of history's atrocities in said day, i'm all for it!

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

andy06shake
Today the 27/01/2014 is International Holocaust Remembrance Day, any thoughts fellow ATS members given that in this day of age we now consider anti semitic actions to be socially unacceptable?

I would add provided semitic actions are not socially unacceptable such as semitic armies firing on unarmed civilians. - unless others think that that action is acceptable.

I don't like the feeling that one group of people has hijacked a day for remembering their suffering only, as IMHO that is emotional blackmail, especially as its so long ago and all the nations who actually fought in WW1 and WW2 have made their peace and forgiven their enemies over the deaths caused by these wars.In one respect its something forced on us by the lobbying of this group through manipulation of our law. It seems disrespectful not to bring into this day's remembrance all the other groups of people equally persecuted and also all civilians who died in the blitz's and due to the war. There were very few families in this country who did not loose loved ones who were not in the armed forces.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

Nations and politicians may forgive each other my friend but people, especially when in racial opposite groups bend on genocide toward one another that's rather different!

How do you forgive mass genocide? How do we learn from our past mistakes and move on? How do we stop things like this happening time after time?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Didn't even know it was, won't change my day any. I often look back to WWII and the atrocities committed during that time on all sides of the fence. What upsets me even more now, is that Israel should know all too well what it means to lose everything they owned. How it felt when a non-caring Government entity just swooped in and decided you weren't worthy to live on their lands. Yet, it seems like that lesson went unheard as they're doing the same thing to the Palestinian people today.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

That is all.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Its rather circular is it not, the way the victim becomes the aggressor/abuser?

When will we ever learn!

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I don't know why this need to be a international event.

First, Jews are not above other humans, Many other human has suffered genocide and its happening even now, but nobody even hear dof these. Because obviously it seems some humans life's are worthless and some are worth more.

Some genocides are far worse then what Jews have endured, but there are not news, those people are not important.

Im not saying remembrance is anything bad, but keep it in Israel.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

andy06shake
reply to post by n00bUK

Its rather circular is it not, the way the victim becomes the aggressor/abuser?

When will we ever learn!

They're were millions of victims but in my own opinion the people at the very top of the pyramid knew that the atrocities that we're going on was going to lead them to 'their land'. Again this is my opinion with allot of facts to back it up, I'm not going to derail this thread anyway so I'll stop.

There's many Israeli's who disagree with the occupation right now, but until they actually rise up and take over their government I don't have nothing nice to say about Israel.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join