It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video - B.C. Mayor speaks on Corporate Manipulation of Environmental Assessments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I've just come across this video on my facebook feed from someone in the area; this is a local dispute, the basis of which is not the concern of this thread.

the concern of this thread is that this man, (Derek Corrigan, Mayor of Burnaby, B.C.) is not only recognizing, but is publicly denouncing the tactics used by corporations to undermine the public interest, by placing people (assets) who support them in positions where they are able to manipulate information to benefit the company/body in question. (in this case SNC-Lavalin)

the following is in reference to the scandal he mainly mentions; link below.

Controversies[edit]

Reports of murky affairs have prompted calls for Canada to tighten bribery law.[14]
SNC Blacklisted from bidding on World Bank Global Projects[edit]
In September 2013, it was reported that SNC Lavalin and its affiliates represent 115 of the 117 Canadian companies there were part of 250 total companies blacklisted from bidding on the World Bank's global projects. “As it stands today, the World Bank debarment list includes a high number of Canadian companies, the majority of which are affiliates to SNC Lavalin Inc.,” said the bank’s manager of investigations, James David Fielder.[15] The companies were debarred due to an investigation relating to the Padma Bridge project in Bangladesh where World Bank investigators worked with RCMP officers to make a collective action against corruption.

SNC-Lavalin Wiki

as many of us here are aware, this happens all over the world and to a much more severe degree than presented in this case, but I thought it worth bringing to light since this type of speaking out is quite rare indeed and I felt it rather refreshing to hear/see.

if only there could be some people of larger import on a grand scheme to speak out against things higher up in the food chain. ie, placement of past monsanto directors on various other boards, etc, etc etc..

food for thought.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The Federal government is divesting itself of twenty odd harbours in BC....You can rest assured they will be going to the moneyed people.....

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by EmpathicBandit

I am in B.C. as well. It is nice to see people, especially in an official capacity, speaking out.
But it does happen everywhere. Money makes the world go 'round. Maybe it hasn't hit his pockets yet? Let's hope he will keep speaking out.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

stirling
The Federal government is divesting itself of twenty odd harbours in BC....You can rest assured they will be going to the moneyed people.....

certainly, we are not at a point yet where that can be avoided, however, as I stated - its not the basis of the confrontation that is the focus of this thread - but the fact that this man of considerable local importance is recognizing and speaking against the corrupt practices being used is something i feel worth mentioning (perhaps if only to show a glimmer of faith in humanity) and that we need to see more of this on a grander scale from people of even greater position and influence if we are ever to affect change against what is the corporate machine.

I am in B.C. as well. It is nice to see people, especially in an official capacity, speaking out.
But it does happen everywhere. Money makes the world go 'round. Maybe it hasn't hit his pockets yet? Let's hope he will keep speaking out.

certainly, that is more or less what I was attempting to get across with my reply above as well; we can only hope that the ones who do speak out stay true and grow in number.
edit on 26-1-2014 by EmpathicBandit because: added second reply

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Hey Rob Ford!

This is how a REAL mayor acts. You should take some pointers from us here in BC, you might just learn a thing or two from us

new topics

top topics

join