It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idiots and their 4x4 Trucks and Winter.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
This has got us peeved to no end at the moment, I am sure we here in Canada along with everyone in North America are getting sick and tired of this brutal weather.

First thing first is that yes we own a 4X4 GMC truck, and a regular car as well.

What our problem is seems miniscule at first glance, but after witnessing it time and time again it is actually legit we believe.

Time and time again we see them slipping this way and that way but seemingly under control till they hit the ditch.
Just last week we were passed by at least a dozen of the speedsters oblivious to the ice and snow on the highway.
Of that dozen we came upon one in the ditch, slowed down to check on them and they ( a couple were out and walking) so we kept going on to our destination.
We were driving at about 70KM's per hour in a 100KM zone and it was very stupid to go any faster than that due to the blowing snow.
Now today our city street is very icy and snowy, what we observed was at least 3 Yahoos in 4X4's going up and down the street wagging their tails and kicking up huge snow plumes and creating black ice.

These idiots have no consideration for the folks that have to go to work in the morning and do not have 4X4 and have to traverse these huge ruts in the snow and black ice that their spinning tires created.

You can pick them out anytime it snows, on our street all of a sudden there is an abundance of the 4X4's and going to beat the band up and down the street.
Going to no destination but sure as heck driving like true idiots......

Just us? We highly doubt it at all but lets wait and see what the good folks here at ATS have to say.

A rant is very good for your health and I do believe we will sleep better tonight......:-)
Let your personal horror winter driving stories rip!

Regards, Iwinder & YogaGinns

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
You just described indiana in the winter,,, your definitely not alone.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71

We didn't think so either, LOL
How bad is your weather and idiot drivers there in Indiana?

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 26-1-2014 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I have a 4 wheel drive truck myself, a K2500 diesel. And when I get in it to drive in bad weather, I have a little mantra I say to myself:

"I am not invincible. Ice trumps a 4x4. I am not invincible. Speed is not my friend. I am not invincible."

And I keep repeating that.
edit on 1/26/2014 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

schuyler
I have a 4 wheel drive truck myself, a K2500 diesel. And when I get in it to drive in bad weather, I have a little mantra I say to myself:

"I am not invincible. Ice trumps a 4x4. I am not invincible. Speed is not my friend. I am not invincible."

My wife is an aggressive driver in my opinion, as you said above I keep telling her that you cannot stop any faster in a 4X4, actually with our truck its very very heavy so the sliding factor comes into play.

I do believe that she has the hang of it now and as your mantra says....."she knows she is not invincilbe"

Good post and many thanks indeed.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

This is the worst winter we've had in around twenty years, thats cold and snow. I think two feet of snow so far in January.
The ones that drive me crazy are the soccer moms in their suv's. They have no clue how to drive those beasts. The salesman says its a 4x4 so they think it will go anywhere. It don't!

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71
reply to post by Iwinder

This is the worst winter we've had in around twenty years, thats cold and snow. I think two feet of snow so far in January.
The ones that drive me crazy are the soccer moms in their suv's. They have no clue how to drive those beasts. The salesman says its a 4x4 so they think it will go anywhere. It don't!

But it does go anywhere including the ditch.......thanks for the post and your wisdom.

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 26-1-2014 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I own 4x4 trucks and have seen the same problems here. The roads are pure ice and a 4x4 will whiz past me doing about sixty and they wind up in the ditch ahead. I have witnessed this many times. They are crawling out of there trucks....I just check noone is hurt and ride on by. I have had a car phone since 88 and have called the police a few times when needed to tell them there was a truck in the ditch. I also tell them about them passing me. Within a few minutes the cops were there in case someone was hurt.
I'm such a nice guy aren't I calling to get them assistance.

These kind of people complain about others going to slow. I have had a 4x4 for twenty five years minimum and know that a 4x4 is no better than a 2 wheel drive at stopping on ice, in fact sometimes they are worse.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
It's the same here where I live.Idiots out on the highway will pass by like the conditions are clear. That being said, every time a big snow hits(12 inches or more) I go play in my extra-cab Toyo
But, I don't go fast
My little boys love 4-wheeling. They laugh 'til they cry when we're stuck up and spinning the tires or whatever. *Disclaimer: Before any of you call me a terrible parent, just know that it is in a very safe and controlled manner and I do not do anything stupid to jeopardize their well being so there!!

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71

That's why I don't miss the north.....lol. Living in the south (for now). It was 65 degrees today.

I have loved ones who live up north where they get "Lake Effect." Nope....don't miss it AT ALL.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I'm out in the northern tier middle USA, in the Bakken oil field. With all the southerners here, it's an even bigger nightmare than usual. The locals are all fairly well behaved, as they know what winter brings here and most are smart enough to respect it. However, with the influx of others from all over the US, many have no clue what the weather up here can deliver (they are sure finding out this winter!!), and many have no respect for it. We see cars and even big rig trucks in ditches all over, 99% of them from sheer stupidity. I've no issue with folks needing to make a living. None. But drivers out for whatever reason, in this kind of weather, is just plain stupid. The thing is, they don't realize that 4 wheel drive, isn't 4 wheel stop. Get a clue people!! They just close the roads here now to keep the idiots home. I don't think there is an open road in the state at present. It's a huge fine if you cross the barriers, and there is no rescue if you happen to hit the ditch or get stuck. No snowplows are going to happen by.. No Highway Patrol out to help stranded drivers....you are on your own here if you are indeed that stupid. They are having to go out of their way here now to keep those kinds of drivers home, jumping the gun prematurely, to prevent accidents and deaths.

Canada, USA, I think it's all the same. There are always a few in any group.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I hate getting behind a driver who can't handle the current road conditions!! If you can't drive safely ... Stay the frick home why don't you?

People who drive over-cautiously cause traffic to pile up behind them ... and then you deal with the yahoo who is a risk taker.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Where i came from the 4x4 boys usually plowed a path along the right hand side of the lanes for the 2x4s to follow.....
At least till the plows got out and widened the snow free part of the highways.....
Other wise the 2x4s would be trying to share the same tracks as the opposite traffic on the sharp corners....this works well till a logging truck or semi comes a barrelassing the other way, and they loose it trying to regain their proper lane position.....
The guys with 4x4s probly saved a few lives of the too stupid to stay home crowd
NYAAAAAA

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

You're describing a typical day in Michigan as well - All the people in 4x4's seem to think that they are the God/Goddess of the roads out here in winter. The trucks are the worst offenders - I've seen a guy pass up all 5 of us on a two-lane road, only to have to slam the brakes because the light changed to red too quickly.

Whenever I have to drive in these conditions, I remind myself that it's better to be able to stop the car than slide through a red light, and if that means that the driver behind me is running late, then so be it. Granted, now that I have new tires, I found that my car can go a little bit faster on the roads than before - doesn't mean that I'm going to though, as the last thing I need on the roads is to get "cocky" and gain false confidence in the roads. A lot of these people driving like idiots in the snow should try driving in the small town I'm originally from: Imagine, having 3 inches of snow (or more on the dirt roads), and calling that "done". 4x4 drive won't save you in that case, but going slow will.

-fossilera

PS: I find that the earlier you get up, the less likely you are to run into these people - It's probably because they figure they have all-wheel drive, so they can just leave at their normal time for work.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
People seem to think that 4x4 means immune to winter road conditions wherever you are. I once spent 3 and a 1/2 hours driving home in 1"/hour snow amounts on what is normally a 20 to 25 minute drive. Why? There was one stretch of road with a bit of incline and every single moron with a 4x4 vehicle felt that all they had to do was gun it to go up. They had three lanes of road jammed for miles behind them because they kept spinning out and couldn't get up the road, and the longer it took them the worse the jam got, the longer it was before any plows could hit the roads, the worse THEY got.

Once I hit that stretch, I just went very slow and very steady in my little front wheel drive, tiny engine, Hyundai putt-putt car and went right by them, but it took me forever to get there and have the chance.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
When the roads are icy, 4 wheel drive doesn't mean 4 wheel stop. I keep my distance from everyone and I get home maybe 20 minuets later from work. Beats the ditch.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

schuyler

Ya see. Now that there is wise...recite. breath in...breath out..
Lol now tell that to the 22 and under that live on my street. We have a foot of snow here ( to cold for salt to work ).And the boys seem to think a pickup with bald tires is impervious.

Edit: my Chevy silverado was awful in the snow. All torque and no weight in the rear. Heck a Chevy Aveo with narrow tires and front wheel drive works way better if you're not aggressive.
edit on 26-1-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Another good point.

Bought all my goodies 2 days ago...

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   
What drives me nuts are the idiots that spin their tires when they're taking off from a stop sign or red light... creating huge patches of glare ice underneath them so that everyone else can slide through the intersection in an "Ice Capades Stock Car Rally" dance routine.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I posted this the other day in another thread. But it's a big pet peeve of mine.

We're getting slapped down with a good sized snowstorm where I live right now. I just got off the roads which were covered with snow and the road crews cannot keep up. I do this looking for people who need help and a chance to exercise my 4x4. It's fun...usually.

And what do I see? Idiots who have not properly cleaned off their cars and are texting in low visibilty and slick roads. I hope they don't hurt anybody, but I do hope that they total their cars. They don't belong on the road in this weather.

I do drive slower than usual in conditions like this as well. If I want to hot rod, I'll find a ampty school parking lot to spin around in.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join