It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People who are pro death penalty are much more likely to commit homicide than those who aren't

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
How do you feel about the above statement?

In my opinion people who are pro death penalty have a much lower regard for human life and also place much much higher on the sociopath scale than the people who don't believe in capital punishment.

These two factors combined meant that the average pro death penalty supporter was much more likely to commit a serious violent crime, including murder, than the people who are not supporters of it.

I firmly believe that if we can turn people's minds away from violent retribution it will also lower the murder and serious violent crime rate.

The only problem is, those who are pro death penalty almost never listen to the ideas of others and would almost certainly never let themselves be educated as to why it is wrong.

Basically if you remove the violence from the top, it trickles down and people end up losing certain sociopathic traits and violent tendencies.

The death penalty actually does the opposite to what it's supporters claim.

edit on 26-1-2014 by bates because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bates

Hmm, so I can assume that you believe the same about war.

Remove violence from sight and the mind over time does not know it.

Do you train monkeys often?

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

bates

I feel it needs to be proved. Where is your data? How many people commit homicide in the first place? If your statement is not backed by data, it is worthless.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

bates

In my opinion people who are pro death penalty have a much lower regard for human life and also place much much higher on the sociopath scale than the people who don't believe in capital punishment.

These two factors combined meant that the average pro death penalty supporter was much more likely to commit a serious violent crime, including murder, than the people who are not supporters of it.

I firmly believe that if we can turn people's minds away from violent retribution it will also lower the murder and serious violent crime rate.

The only problem is, those who are pro death penalty almost never listen to the ideas of others and would almost certainly never let themselves be educated as to why it is wrong.

Basically if you remove the violence from the top, it trickles down and people end up losing certain sociopathic traits and violent tendencies.

The death penalty actually does the opposite to what it's supporters claim.

edit on 26-1-2014 by bates because: (no reason given)

Strictly out of curiosity.....your parents...what was their viewpoint on the matter? Were you spanked as a child? What were your punishments like?

I'm not trying to bait you into anything, but rather, I am curious as to your viewpoint origins are on this matter.

So, I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't mind answering this question

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Hi Captain Obvious, nice to meet you. Sorry for flippant intro but hey, just calling it how it is. Of course one who is for a death penalty will indeed be more likely to kill... I cannot believe someone wasted time and monies to research this.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
People who like tuna are more likely to go fishing than someone who doesn't like tuna.

*I just don't understand this. Well....I understand it, I just think it's stupid is all.

No offense OP

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

LeaderOfProgress
Hi Captain Obvious, nice to meet you. Sorry for flippant intro but hey, just calling it how it is. Of course one who is for a death penalty will indeed be more likely to kill... I cannot believe someone wasted time and monies to research this.

Nobody did. That's kind of the issue here. OP just threw this out with no data at all. he just made it up.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

I don't see anything "obvious". There isn't even any data in the OP. I wouldn't just assume being pro-death penalty is somehow synonymous with homicidal tendencies. I could also argue that someone who has committed or is planning to murder may be strictly against the death penalty since they may see themselves in that position in the future, meaning that murderers who premeditate(d) their crime may actually be against the death penalty.

But without any actual research it's all just opinion.
edit on 26-1-2014 by kx12x because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
OP, your entire post was your opinion, which you have a right to, but being as you have zero evidence to back it up, that's all it is....opinion. Not fact.

I believe the death penalty comes from the Old Testament ("An eye for an eye"). This is the basis of it. Not bloodlust and sociopathic tendencies.

Nice try, no cigar.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

Psst.... you missed the "in my opinion" part of the OP
edit on 26-1-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by bates

In my opinion, if criminals know that they may die as a result of committing a crime, there'd be less crime.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bates

No offense, but, your progressive, perfect utopia mindset is what's killing our Country.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I would suspect that everyone who is in prison for homicide, facing execution, is against the death penalty.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bates

I think you present an interesting hypothesis; however, I don't see how it can be proven one way or the other.

A flag for audacity and a star for peaceful intend.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by bates

In my opinion, if criminals know that they may die as a result of committing a crime, there'd be less crime.

Concensus on the deterant effect of the death penalty hasn't been reached. Here is a pro/con argument on the subject...

deathpenalty.procon.org...

Remember to consider the sources listed on each side of the argument and their actual affiliation with the subject matter. An anaysis by a criminalist would weight more then an analysis of an accountant.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

charles1952
I would suspect that everyone who is in prison for homicide, facing execution, is against the death penalty.

Greetings Charles,

And I would rebut that many on death row are in fact seeking death... consciously or not.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Yes, because people who don't believe in capatial punishment would only kill in self defense, or possibly in a red out if someone raped and murdered their child. And that isn't murder, it fits into what the average person would do, thus its unlawful for it to be illegal even though I don't condone it. They would never do so in cold blood, or retaliate a year later in cold blood, like capital punishment, and some would turn the other cheek and self defense would only occur in defense of others. Its Higher Mind that doesnt believe in capital punishment and lower mind that does.
edit on 26-1-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I have sit on juries that resulted in two people being sent to the chair but have never thought about murdering someone. The only killing I have done was in the military.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bates

You are wrong.

You are way off. Liberals are more likely to place higher on the sociopath scale (more points on the hare checklist). The desire for people to be put to death is usually out of an extreme emotion rather than disregard for life. The decision to oppose death penalty is more analytical/less emotional. Also a sociopath/psychopath carefully createsa persona. So more likely to be opposed to death penalty and more likely to be opposed to guns (despite being equally likely to own a gun while being opposes to them). The fact they (psychopaths) may face such a punishment may factor in in some rare cases, causing further opposition.

This was one of my areas of study. Your opinion doesn't really work because it doesn't accurately take into account the sociopaths personality.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
So again, in short, liberals are more likely to be and rank much higher generally on the sociopath scale. You have it completely backwards due to little understanding of sociopaths. In reality they wouldn't actually care either way and would flip flop depending on the group they are with, but their official line would likely be opposed (unless we are talking about a politician sociopath - then their official stance would reflect the majority of the party's).

Sociopaths are meticulous about the face they put forward. Perpetually pretentious. Your opinion is incorrect because it works on the assumption that sociopaths would support the death penalty because they have known no regard for human life. That doesn't work because they aren't thinking yeah kill these people! They have no reason to think that because it doesn't benefit or gratify them. They are thinking "me me me." They just wouldn't give a damn either way and only side when they are manipulating someone. The people that would support the death penalty are doing so from a much more emotional place.
edit on 26-1-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join