It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Resurgence Of Preventable Diseases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Thanks Anti-Vaccer's

How Vaccine Fears Fueled The Resurgence Of Preventable Diseases

For most of us, measles and whooping cough are diseases of the past. You get a few shots as a kid and then hardly think about them again. But that's not the case in all parts of the world — not even parts of the U.S.

As an interactive map from the Council on Foreign Relations illustrates, several diseases that are easily prevented with vaccines have made a comeback in the past few years. Their resurgence coincides with changes in perceptions about vaccine safety. Since 2008 folks at the think tank CFR have been plotting all the cases of measles, mumps, rubella, polio and whooping cough around the world. Each circle on the map represents a local outbreak of a particular disease, while the size of the circle indicates the number of people infected in the outbreak. As you flip through the various maps over the years, two trends clearly emerge: Measles has surged back in Europe, while whooping cough is has become a problem here in the U.S. Childhood immunization rates plummeted in parts of Europe and the U.K. after a 1998 study falsely claimed that the vaccine for measles, mumps and rubella was linked to autism. That study has since been found to be fraudulent. But fears about vaccine safety have stuck around in Europe and here in the U.S. Viruses and bacteria have taken full advantage of the immunization gaps. In 2011, France reported a massive measles outbreak with nearly 15,000 cases. Only the Democratic Republic of Congo, India, Indonesia, Nigeria and Somalia suffered larger measles outbreaks that year. In 2012, the U.K. reported more than 2,000 measles cases, the largest number since 1994. Here in the U.S., the prevalence of whooping cough shot up in 2012 to nearly 50,000 cases. Last year cases declined to about 24,000 — which is still more than tenfold the number reported back in the early '80s when the bacteria infected less than 2,000 people.

continue to source article at npr.org

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I seen this on Facebook posted by a friend of mine.
While I believe in some vaccinations I think we go a little over board.

But prepare for the tin hat skeptics my friend they will tear you a new one, and try to poke holes thru this article.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Don't you think that the increase in these diseases are coming from immigrants from other countries that don't readily supply vaccinations?

To blame it on the anti-vaccers, as you put it, isn't quite fair.
edit on 26-1-2014 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Oh well, if the Council on Foreign Relations says so, we should all agree with it.

Pfffft. Not. One look at the member roster of the CFR tells me all I need to know about that source...not to mention the corporate membership.

en.wikipedia.org...

Besides....if this thing called "herd immunity" really worked, then those who have gotten their shots shouldn't worry.

HOWEVER...

From December 9, 1983, to January 13, 1984, 21 cases of measles occurred in Sangamon County, Illinois.* Nine of the cases were confirmed serologically. The outbreak involved 16 high school students, all of whom had histories of measles vaccination after 15 months of age documented in their school health records. Of the five remaining cases, four occurred in unvaccinated preschool children, two of whom were under 15 months of age, and one case occurred in a previously vaccinated college student (Figure 5).

The affected high school had 276 students and was in the same building as a junior high school with 135 students. A review of health records in the high school showed that all 411 students had documentation of measles vaccination on or after the first birthday, in accordance with Illinois law.

www.cdc.gov...

Or this:

An outbreak of measles occurred among adolescents in Corpus Christi, Texas, in the spring of 1985, even though vaccination requirements for school attendance had been thoroughly enforced. Serum samples from 1806 students at two secondary schools were obtained eight days after the onset of the first case. Only 4.1 percent of these students (74 of 1806) lacked detectable antibody to measles according to enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, and more than 99 percent had records of vaccination with live measles vaccine. Stratified analysis showed that the number of doses of vaccine received was the most important predictor of antibody response. Ninety-five percent confidence intervals of seronegative rates were 0 to 3.3 percent for students who had received two prior doses of vaccine, as compared with 3.6 to 6.8 percent for students who had received only a single dose. After the survey, none of the 1732 seropositive students contracted measles. Fourteen of 74 seronegative students, all of whom had been vaccinated, contracted measles. In addition, three seronegative students seroconverted without experiencing any symptoms. We conclude that outbreaks of measles can occur in secondary schools, even when more than 99 percent of the students have been vaccinated and more than 95 percent are immune.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Look how they go from Africa to Europe. I'm saying immigration.

My daughter is pregnant and I wonder about the vaccines now.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I'm all for the MMR vaccinations, it's the flu vaccinations that I'm sketchy about.

The MMR vaccinations have and still do save lives, I'm not so sure about the influenza vaccines.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Yeah sure blame it all on anti-vaccers.

Now that the pharmaceutical industry is really worried about people actually waking up to the many unspoken secondary effects of vaccines, we will have to endure study after study which will try and prove that anti-vaccers are causing the comeback of diseases.

I'd say they have to convince me before anything else that vaccines, and not the advancement in the way we live our lifes, really made these diseases disapeared in the first place. Except maybe polio, I'm highly septic towards many of them. And I'm not even talking about influenza vaccines which are a total joke.

edit on 26-1-2014 by St0rD because: typo

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
NVM

Controlled immigration would quell a crap-ton of new incidences of these ailments.

Let the flaming begin

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

kimish

Don't you think that the increase in these diseases are coming from immigrants from other countries that don't readily supply vaccinations?

To blame it on the anti-vaccers, as you put it, isn't quite fair.

Many outbreaks here in the US stem from people who have traveled abroad and carried the disease back here. There have been several cases of intentional unvaccinated carrying those diseases. Imigration may cut down on the outbreaks but as long as people travel people will come into contact with pathogens and if they are not vaccinated against them they become carriers.

Here is such a case
Measles Outbreak in a Highly Vaccinated Population, San Diego, 2008: Role of the Intentionally Undervaccinated

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
A few thoughts;

- manmade vaccinations do not give lifetime immunity, hence vaccinated can still get infected and possibly even a worse case.

- 'herd immunity' is a concept that existed before vaccinations, it means when a certain number of the herd becomes immune (never happens with manmade vaccinations) then the pathogen basically dies out of that population

- in the 1940's a physician in N. Carolina named Klenner successful cured polio and many other infectious diseases with IV Vitamin C which has been replicated by many others since. This opens the door to a nutritional based prevention and treatment of infectious disease which has virtually NO side-effects. It has been systematically ignored and even fought against ever since.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The problem with this picture that has gone viral on Facebook is that it is wayyyyy too simplified.

How many who have been infected were vaccinated?
How many infected were not vaccinated?
Are they originally from that area or did they emigrate into that country?
What is the mortality rate of those infected?
Are those that have been infected been confirmed to have the exact same strain as the vaccine prevents? Or is this a different strain?

I suppose you could call me an "antivaccer". My problem is that the CDC pushes vaccines from day one that a child is born. Hep B immediately after birth, when its a disease caused by dirty needles or sexually transmitted. Then there are many, many more in the following weeks. Years ago, kids didn't receive this many. They are pushing people away. It is their fault. Lets go back to the basic "needed" vaccines for children (NOT just weeks old).

We know the polio vac works, mmr, etc. Lets postpone vaccines until a child has a mylin sheath protecting their fragile brains and can handle a dose of mercury.

Too much of a "good thing" will turn bad. Now everyone is turning against it for good reason. It's excessive, controlling, possibly causing harm to children, etc.

new topics

top topics

join