It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hats in church

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Why the big deal?
Someone please explain this to me.
Im not gonna comply to something I dont feel is necessary.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Their house, their rules.

Its that simple, and its called common curtsy, when you go to some place as a guest its nice to follow the rules they establish as a curtsy to your fellow human beings.

Or you can be rude, your choice.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
As far as I know everyone no matter their choice of attire is welcome in church. But common courtesy in almost every home, everywhere including churches is to take your hat off.

It sounds like you just want a reason to say no to church, so don't go. I'm sure the last thing any church needs is someone there who would rather not be.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

Im not a rude person I kindly stepped out.
I want to know what the origins of whats disrespectful about it.
I
I dont go to church by the way. I was kind of dragged along today.
I
edit on 26-1-2014 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

What is funny is that men traditionally used to almost always wear head cover in the Abrahamic religions. Something in the Hebrew bible and OT about it being respectful to (himever, a lot of different names, but always a dude) keep your head covered and cut off your foreskin to UNcover the other one. Odd. Why would an omnipotent man be so interested in chopping off foreskins? Why did (the dude) make them in the first place?
Gee, now I am confused. But that's what happens when you spend a good chunk of your life studying comparative religion.

I would think most religious institutions would be more concerned with getting asses in seats or on carpet samples or bean bag chairs or reclining seats that will be sat in again by people with tickets for the 4 pm showing of I, Frankenstein.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
George Carlin on religion and hats. Contains offensive language

If it really doesn't matter to you, but for some reason it matters to them, and yet this does not discourage you from wanting to hear what they have to say on a weekly basis, my advice is to just humor them.

If for some reason it matters, talk frankly to someone of authority or influence about why it matters and come to one understanding or another.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

I don't honestly know but here is my take on it.

Typically men wear hats to work, or they use them when working on cars, man things etc.. often times these are the same hats that men want to wear at church. Church is on sunday it is on sunday for a reason it is suppossed to be a day of no work, a day for God only. You are bringing your work into a holy place on a day you are suppossed to leave your work behind. Not only that but they are typically filthy.

edit on 26-1-2014 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

If I understood you correctly...did you just tell me to walk in with a kings crown next time?

George Carlin such a great soul.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

ElOmen
reply to post by brandiwine14

Im not a rude person I kindly stepped out.
I want to know what the origins of whats disrespectful about it.
I
I dont go to church by the way. I was kind of dragged along today.
I

You are unaware that even as an invited guest to somewhere that you should follow the rules of conduct they establish?

That is the origins of why its rude not to do it,

Their are however several different religious traditions involving covering of the head, and uncovering that could be the origin of the hat removal.

BEYOND that during the time when Hats where fashionable it was polite to remove them indoors.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Church? be serious, why turn your consciousness into a tool to be manipulated by others? Religion is a scam. There are no exterior answers to internal questions. "know not that ye are Gods'? " Sure, there may be some grains of spiritually usefull information to be gleamed in religious texts but seeking it is liken to the proverbial needle at the bottom of a Mt. Everest sized haystack. Meditate. Ask your higher self for guidance, go with the flow to where you are directed, master and do not try to control. As far as hats in church? Sounds like THEY are making you do something that YOU don't want to do? So why do it? Liberate yourself, love yourself and be your own counsel. I wish you PEACE.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

Ah, ok. I can be a little more helpful if that's the question.

It's a tradition to don and remove articles of protection to change how people see you. Not only in the sense of standing out or fitting in, but in the sense of what your appearance suggests to others about you and how you are relating to the environment. Outside a hat might mean that one wants his scalp protected from wind or sun. Inside it can't. So what's he wearing it for? Is he about to leave? Does he not want to be recognized? Does he want to be recognized? Is he covering a gruesome disfigurement? Etc etc etc.

If you refuse to honor a tradition when it requires no real effort to do so, people take that as a sight. "A grievance can be resolved, but a slight- an imaginary hurt- that guy's gonna hate you for the rest of his life" - Hoffa.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

I mostly agree, but church has its uses. For one thing it is the last vestige of anything town-hall like in many communities- the best sampling and access of your neighbors that some people can get, and it comes with a base model of the world to discuss that facilitates discussion of many different issues.

This means that if you can find a congregation that does not push you in a direction you don't want to go, and has a similar level of flexibility in its world view, you can use it to increase your influence and engagement within society rather than as an opiate.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
If I wear my hat in church it is an insult to others. If I take my hat off, the bald spot blinds others and they cannot read their hymnals or bibles. So it is better if I don't go there.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Their house, their rules.

Its that simple, and its called common curtsy, when you go to some place as a guest its nice to follow the rules they establish as a curtsy to your fellow human beings.

Or you can be rude, your choice.
reply to post by benrl

I tip my hat-off to your response! It's common respect and courtesy to follow rules when entering any institution. If you don't like it, don't enter. "Most" rules and laws is what prevents anarchy. It's like kids complaining about following rules in school. Without rules, it would be impossible to create an atmosphere for students to listen and concentrate on what they're learning.

edit on 26-1-2014 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

Its respect for being in whats considered Gods House. Women cover their head, men remove their hats.(Christians...Jewish men most time cover their heads)

It wouldnt have killed you to remove yours for the short time you were in there.

*Observation: My Credit Union has a sign that says to remove all hats and hoods when in the financial institution for security. Would you have? Or not?

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

you could always convert to Judaism...

Then you get a free hat that you have to wear in "church"

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Looks like popes and bishops don't have much respect for God.
They wear the biggest and most awesome hats in the hizzous of the Lord.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

mysterioustranger
reply to post by ElOmen

It wouldnt have killed you to remove yours for the short time you were in there.

I don't know about that...it seems that God OT stylee had it out for handing down his scorn and deathbrand of justice for disobeying the rules. One might get hurt...bad. Orthodox priests get cool hats too. Paradoxically perhaps? Maybe God has a big pimpin' hat and doesn't want any man to upstage his.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
It's just incase you have lined it with lead foil. God can't read your thoughts with a lead lined hat and thus cannot judge you accordingly, and cannot tell the priest how much sin you have committed and how much you need to contribute to fix the hole in the church roof.

edit on 26-1-2014 by CallYourBluff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

From ask Andy about clothes:
ETIQUETTE For Wearing & Handling Hats and Caps

When a gentleman “dons” his hat to leave or “doffs” his hat to a lady, his actions are being described by two British colloquialisms that come from contractions of the phrases “do on” meaning “to do”, and the Middle English “doffen”, which became “don off” meaning “to do off”!

Hats are tipped, (or doffed) slightly lifting the hat off your forehead, when meeting a lady (remove your hat if you stop to talk), or to “say” to anyone, male or female – thank you, excuse me, hello, goodbye, you’re welcome or how do you do.

Tipping of the hat is a conventional gesture of politeness. This hat tipping custom has the same origin as military saluting, which came from the raising of medieval Knights face visors to show friendliness.

Hats are worn less now, but at the turn of the 20th century, all adults wore hats whenever they left the house. It was a matter of good personal hygiene, since hats were a protection from industrial dirt.

Hats are removed when inside, except for places that are akin to public streets, like lobbies, corridors, and crowded elevators (non-residential). In a public building (where there are no apartments) the elevator is considered a public area.

You may choose to remove your hat in a public elevator, but in the presence of a lady your hat must be removed.

A gentleman takes off his hat and holds it in his hand when a lady enters the elevator in any building that can be classified as a dwelling such as an apartment house or hotel. He puts it on again in the corridor.

A public corridor is like the street, but an elevator in a hotel or apartment house has the character of a room in a house and there a gentleman does not keep his hat on in the presence of ladies.

Hats are removed for the National Anthem, passing of the Flag and funeral processions, outdoor weddings, dedications, and photographs.

Removed hats are held in hand in such a way that only the outside and never the lining is visible.
In places of worship head coverings are required for both men and women in Muslim mosques, and Sikh temples.

Men are required to cover their heads in Jewish synagogues, but only married women wear hats or scarves representing a display of her increased modesty towards those other than the woman’s husband.

The small, round head covering or skullcap worn by men is called a “kippah” which means, “dome” or “cupola”. The Yiddish word for the cap is “yarmulke”. The wearing of the yarmulke is a reminder of humility before God, a mark of respect in a Jewish congregation, and a sign of recognition of something greater above oneself, which is why many male Jews wear a head covering whenever they are awake, with the exceptions of bathing and swimming.

It is acceptable for women to wear hats in Christian churches, (it was once required, but the custom has all but disappeared) but disrespectful for men to wear them.

A woman may leave her hat on indoors or during the playing of The National Anthem, unless it is considered unisex like a baseball cap. When wearing such a unisex cap, a woman should follow the same guidelines as for men.

Why are there different rules for men and women? It may have to do with the difference in the styles of men’s and women’s hats.

Men’s hats are easily removed, but women’s hats with ribbons, bows, flowers and other decorations can be quite a production to remove, especially if they’re anchored with hatpins. Women might also risk messing up their hairdos if they had to remove their hats. A lady, however, never wore brimmed hats after 5 PM, a fashion rule that developed because she didn’t need a brim after sunset.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join