It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Synthetic Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Redesigned viruses are being used to build reliable genetic machines, but what else could this lead to? Currently if a biologist wanted to make a organism that would count to 3000 that could be done with avaible parts. But what else might this lead to? Could it lead to a self aware computer? Or could it some day be used to make a horrible biological weapon? I have no doubt that there is a awfull lot of good comeing from this reasearch right now, but I also must ask if we are ready for all that it will lead to.

Refrence Scientific American May 2004

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
do you have any more info on how they redesign a virus for computer-like applications? this sounds pretty interesting...

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Automobile technology can be used for good or bad, nuclear technology can be used for good or bad, a knife can be used for good or bad... see a pattern here? Genetics are in exactly the same boat. SOme will create an organism to help mankind, and others will create one to hurt mankind. It's called free-will, and sometimes it sucks hehe.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Well Isreal built a computer based off of DNA. A spoonful is more powerful than all the computers on the earth combined.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Well Isreal built a computer based off of DNA. A spoonful is more powerful than all the computers on the earth combined.

Havent heard this. Could you provide a linky?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Here is a link.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

But I would argue the statement

A spoonful of Shapiro's "computer soup" contains 15,000 trillion computers. And its energy-efficiency is more than a million times that of a PC.

Sort of way simplified(and not exactly correct) if you read the whole article.

Bentov

[edit on 22-11-2004 by bentov]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Densenuo,
The artical that I read did not go into any of the prosess of redesign a vires. And it is genes that they use. The use different kinds of genes that oscillate between on and off states, output proteen is monitered by another gene and then gives a flourescent responce. The May 2004 Scientific American May 2004 does go into more aplacations if you want more info on it. Also hear is the adress for the computer made by Isreal useing this technology;
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread36339/pg1

I am aware that this all can be used for good or bad, but just cant help but feel that the bad side of this could be the wost of all that was ever bad on this earth. Might sound strange comeing from some one who made it through the cold war, but what else could I say?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Sure you can manipulate the inhibator sequence in the virus so that it only replicates itself for so many cycles. Is like giving it a predetermined off point. You start it and let it run its course. Then count the copies. Could be used as sort of a biological trigger to a "biological explosive" who knows....

No, electronics, no electricity, no metal parts, the perfect bomb really.

Organic matter, ie a fertilizer/Nitro bomb mixture with some sort of phosperous trigger ??? with a biological timer. It would look like a a blob that when activated would countdown and self destruct.

Amazing weapon.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

Originally posted by sardion2000

Havent heard this. Could you provide a linky?

Sure heres a couple i found with a quick google search.
news.nationalgeographic.com...
www.webopedia.com...
www.washingtontimes.com...

new topics

top topics

join