It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shizotypal personality disorder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
changingminds.org...

Psychic, alien's, conspiracy theories - this is the box we are placed in.

Opps guy below me. I have a keen interest in psychology and I couldn't help stumbling across the above term. It puts anyone who believes in non mainstream theories such as the above into the category of 'schizotypal' disorder. It's sciences way of trying to classify everything. There's some things on this world that science can't explain. Does science really think that they can take on the laws of creation ?
edit on 26-1-2014 by LouiseCTaylor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LouiseCTaylor

need more info. what is it you are trying to say/post. nope not gonna hit linky without more, been there done that with virus'. have a beer on me.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Oh yeah, thats me all the way LOL

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

thishereguy

need more info. what is it you are trying to say/post. nope not gonna hit linky without more, been there done that with virus'. have a beer on me.

Be paranoid...not unlike me...and put a few malware detection and cleaning apps on your system along a good virus protecting system....

And then...click away....

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Just wondering then if that means that everyone that believes in a god(s) has this disorder also? It would certainly seem to suggest that due to the "belief" in something that can't be seen would fall into this category.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mikelkhall

Probably. We like our labels down here

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by zeroBelief

got all the good ones installed. still doesn't mean things can't get through. and also, not paranoid , never been never will be.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by thishereguy

You can never be too careful but this link is okay for sure

Is certainly a term used within psychology

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Schizotypal Personality Explanations > Personality > Personality Disorders > Schizotypal Personality

Description
The Schizotypal Personality occurs where a person is very disturbed, with irrational thoughts.

Noticeable symptoms may include:

1-Inappropriate and untimely display of emotions.
2-Odd dress, speech and general behavior.
3-Strange beliefs.
4-Superstitious.
5-Complex fantasies.
6-Uncomfortable in social situations.
7-Poor social skills. Few friends.

I think this needs a bit of dissection before anyone swallows "the pill" and believes they fall into this category...or allows themselves to actually be categorized as such.

First of all, it is highly prejudicial, IMHO, "where a person is very disturbed, with irrational thoughts".

One can have the knowledge that we do about "conspiracy theories", and yet not be "disturbed". As far as "irrational thoughts" are concerned...to me, that is having a thought such as "TPTB are following *ME*...they know what *I HAD FOR BREAKFAST* because of examining the results of my bowel movement from the sewage line *FROM MY HOUSE* that feeds into the public sewage system".

IMHO, this is the kind of statement that says "disturbed" in combination with "irrational thoughts". Especially if it is said without sufficient backing proof or reason for why TPTB have would have such a blatant interest in that particular nobody.

Frankly, I read "where a person is very disturbed, with irrational thoughts" as a senseless and agenda oriented extension of paranoia. Paranoia has already been covered. This is no different than simply making more and more attempts at "gun control laws" when many people believe that the law we have for legal gun ownership are sufficient, and would work, IF THEY WERE ONLY FOLLOWED CORRECTLY AND PRECISELY.

Second, "noticeable symptoms *may* include:"

What immediately comes to mind is cherry picking. I do not read a single "symptom" listed there that cannot be had by anyone at any given time in their life. Or even lifelong "episodes" of dealing with the "symptoms". I'll say it again. Cherry picking what the therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist WANTS to pick out of the clouds before them.

Pareidolia at it's finest....

Pareidolia (/pærɨˈdoʊliə/ parr-i-DOH-lee-ə) is a psychological phenomenon involving a vague and random stimulus (often an image or sound) being perceived as significant, a form of apophenia. Common examples include seeing images of animals or faces in clouds, the man in the moon or the Moon rabbit, and hearing hidden messages on records when played in reverse.

The word comes from the Greek words para (παρά, "beside, alongside, instead") in this context meaning something faulty, wrong, instead of; and the noun eidōlon (εἴδωλον "image, form, shape") the diminutive of eidos. Pareidolia is a type of apophenia, seeing patterns in random data.

You see, even the "experts" are not immune from their own diagnoses.

And, as a computer programmer who specializes in solving problems..."seeing patterns in random data"...guess what, jaggoffs...that's what I get PAID to do......it is a societal necessity....random noise to you can be music to me...

Now, my final assertion regards point #7....

First of all, poor social skills.....a highly objective declaration to make.

A stereotypical "Jock" will have ENTIRELY separate social skills and degrees of courtesy than your stereotypical "Geek"

Now, for something of a less homogenous example, someone from a different countries culture coming to your own countries culture may very well be labeled as "having poor social skills". As an American, have you ever dealt personally with someone who is from Saudi Arabia? From my experience, I've learned that for some reason they seem to have zero sense of personal space, and get *uncomfortably close* when they speak to you. My experience with this DROVE ME INSANE, and I HATED talking to this person, and thought he was just the rudest person in the world. It wasn't until learning this can be common from Saudi Arabia and neighboring countries that I then understood this person, and adjusted my uncomfortable feelings towards it. Later, he became someone I owe much of my successful career to today.

A little effort in understanding can go a LONG way.

Now, "few friends"...

Any of you reading this...if you truly do have "few friends" specifically because of the knowledge that we gather here and the fact that the vast majority of our co-workers and neighbors, let alone you come across, do not....well, you need to overcome this.

Earlier, I used the word Pareidolia. It is a commonly used word here on this site. However, I can name a dozen or so friends of mine who either don't know it, couldn't spell it, or, quite honestly, are not bright enough to use it on any kind of regular basis.

I am not a religious person, yet one of my BEST FRIENDS...someone I consider to be a brother...genuinely a brother...He is a "dyed in the wool" Baptist. We have grossly contrasting beliefs on MANY things. The kinds of contrasting beliefs that would cause most pairs of people to not be friends at all. But what is special here...is that he and I ACTIVELY OVERLOOK or better yet, ACTIVELY ACCEPT these contrasts...and instead...focus on what we see as BEING GOOD IN EACH OTHER. We also value our differences. And, as a result, there are simply things that we understand we have contrasting beliefs or ideas, and either take that into consideration before opening our mouths in front of each other or simply abstain from saying something along those lines to offend the other in the first place.

Now, between he and I, it's not *just* religion where we vary.

I asked him once "If God is the only being with the right to decide to take a life, how is it that we as a country that is mostly christian, feel comfortable electing a President that we freely GIVE the power to do just that......not just take a life, but to cause WHOLESALE and WANTON destruction on a gross scale?" I asked this in such a way that was respectful, and that he would not feel prompted to be on the defense in his response...

His response was "Because God instructed us each in our hearts, as to which Presidential candidate would be the right pick for the office of POTUS."

"But, only God has the right to take life, right?"

"Well, in this case, God told us who to vote for because this one candidate is a breed apart, specially gifted with the foresight and knowledge to basically act as the hand of God."

I could be an absolute jerk and ask why then does God seem to prefer hawkish Republicans when it comes to going to war, but, out of respect for my good friend, I don't. Instead, knowing this about him helps me understand everything else about him even better.

Now, before you start flaming my friend...this conversation happened over a year ago, I didn't take notes...and this is heavily paraphrased.

I quite simply DO NOT agree with him on these and other issues. On the conversation we had? Well.....I just accept that he is who he is and that I trust in my knowledge that he is a good man. And we love each others company, laugh at the same things, and enjoy talking. Our families are mere extensions of a greater whole, and we both value this.

So, if you truly feel that you have few friends because of the knowledge you obtain from this and other sites like this one.... I'd truly like to challenge you to look deeper than these issues in people.

Find the things that are amicable, and catalog them in your mind. And then, weigh out those positive notes against the negative notes.

Don't be so obstinate in your thoughts or beliefs so as to limit what could be a wonderful and life enriching relationship with another human being.

P.S. - I later asked my friend how it is that he feels comfortable with me taking an active role in the lives of his children...to the point of actively *TRUSTING* me with their safety and guidance, which he does. I asked him, and explained to him, that I couldn't wrap my head around his trust in me WITH HIS CHILDREN when he and I both knew that according to his religious beliefs....I am a sinner...and I am going to hell.

His response...which was very typical of him...made me feel warm inside on some level (not sure what to make of that, other than it was a very pleasant and memorable sensation)...and truly showed me what he thinks of me....

"Because there is still time for you."

He is not one to proselytize at all. Actually, if you'd have never asked, he'd never once make his fervent belief in God and about being a Baptist publicly known. It was only during a frank and private discussion once on topics like gay marriage that his opinions, and therefore, his religious convictions became so readily apparent to me. These conversations came into play because I ASKED HIM. He never would have willingly broached these topics with someone. This, I can vouch for.

So for him to say something so warm and compassionate to me...well, it just underscores the decision process in which I knew I wanted him to be my friend.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

thishereguy

got all the good ones installed. still doesn't mean things can't get through. and also, not paranoid , never been never will be.

I said, "Be Paranoid, like me".....

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Wll, its what the Army diagnosed me before giving me the big combat boot: Borderline Personality Disorder with Schizotypal effective disorder, or something like that

new topics

top topics

join