It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have found that memories may be passed down through generations in our DNA

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Just like Instinct, it's downloaded to our own firmware, that explain why some people have a "natural attraction" to certain behavior or places or time periods e.g. Roman age of empires, Middle ages, Victorian era or desire for certain foods... it's in the DNA!

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Wow! I havnt read into it fully yet but could this maybe explain Dejavu?
Interesting stuff none the less. S&F

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

iRoyalty

It would definitely be a good step in understanding how insects and animals know exactly what they're doing without being taught it.

Neuroscientists are doing that kind of work. Some critters are easy to understand. Your average Jellyfish has only 800 neurons, pond snails have 10,000 neurons and fruit flies have around 100,000 neurons. That's mostly sensory processing fortunately. But some insects like those giant Asian hornets are actually able to remember each other.

www.livescience.com...

This suggests that vision evolved before brains.

en.wikipedia.org...

Even if you can get a super high-resolution grid of a brain with all the neural connections identifiable, you've still got to work out what each neuron or group of neurons do. Honeybee has 960,000 neurons. But even a brain with just 1 million neurons has 10,000 times that many connections.

www.frontiersin.org.../fnsys.2010.00030&name=Systems_Neuroscience&x=y

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Seems like Terence McKenna continues to be proven right even after the grave.

I urge some of you who have never heard of him to research quite heavily without a biased mindset.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I've often wondered if Schizophrenia isn't in some way related to past lives.
I mean multiple personalities maybe those were past lives flooding together
to basically drive a person nuts.
Way too much detail in most of those personalities.
Just a thought.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

I agree but it seems we have professionals on ATS that can tell all.
The human brain is much like the universe.
Very unexplored.
Ever heard of Junk DNA ?
I really wonder what that part is.
I suppose a PRO will tell us soon.
The Human Brain is Wonderous.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by NickK3

This would be a very efficient way to develop a species of insects to humans, that doesn't require each to carry all the info they need to survive in their relatively small bodies/brains, but allow access to the information by developing the tuning needed to contribute to and access the main body of it.

I've always wondered if that is what Ants are doing when they rub their
antenna together.
Not knowing all but downloading information.
So as to proceed to their work destination.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

tinner07
Very interesting. I wonder how many generations it can be passed down . . .
Coincidentally I was doing some research and came across this,
"am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents
to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me"
Exodus 20:5
. . . had to stop and think about this for a bit, even though
I am not a 'christian'.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
They also ran a test with white mice and proved that some knowledge gets passed down across the generations without experience creating the behavior. They subjected the first generation mice with a grape smell and a small shock. When they subjected the third generation to the smell they jumped like they got the shock. Since the second generation was not subject to the smell or shock it HAD to be passed down via the DNA.

Could it be the DNA passes down life threatening or traumatic events? If it passes down other information could we expect those born later to have more information to deal with? Hard to tell when the information came from so it might be the source of other somewhat irrational behaviors. Where an individual has a fear they cannot explain by experience.

I have also heard rumors of people getting transplants acquiring some memory or expertise from the donors. That could be a real game changer. Imagine wanting an ability and with a small DNA transplant from an expert getting access to it. That's real pie in the sky thinking though.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by datasdream

When they subjected the third generation to the smell they jumped like they got the shock. Since the second generation was not subject to the smell or shock it HAD to be passed down via the DNA.
But is it a "memory". Is a conditioned response a memory? Do the original mice remember the shock? Do the offspring? Do we remember cave bears or is it instinct that tells us that dark places are not necessarily a good place to venture into?

I don't think instinct (which could well be a product of epigenetics to a certain degree) has much to do with cognition. Memory consists of complex relationships and associations. Instinct is simple reaction to stimulus.

edit on 1/27/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

This raises more questions. Sometimes, the person who remembers their past life may describe their past life selves as a totally different person. They lived the life of someone who had no relation to them that we are aware of-genetically speaking. Or, let's say the reincarnated person remembers living the life of someone who died in the last 100 years. That doesn't allow much time for the dna pool to spread and get to the reincarnated guy. If a person can be born why couldn't reincarnation be possible? Perhaps we choose to do this?

I do believe we inherit genetic memories in our dna. We need to spend more time meditating.

edit on 27-1-2014 by foxykittybite because: Forgot to add more information

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   

purplemer

Scientists have found that memories may be passed down through generations in our DNA

This is interesting it may help to explain the irrational phobia people have like being scared of heights or a fear of the dark. The experiment indicates that memories can sometimes be stored on the genome. The mechanisms of this are not yet understood and more research needs to be done before it can be applied to humans.....

Maybe scientist have been reading ATS... look into this thread from 2005 www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 28-1-2014 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Phage
reply to post by datasdream

When they subjected the third generation to the smell they jumped like they got the shock. Since the second generation was not subject to the smell or shock it HAD to be passed down via the DNA.
But is it a "memory". Is a conditioned response a memory? Do the original mice remember the shock? Do the offspring? Do we remember cave bears or is it instinct that tells us that dark places are not necessarily a good place to venture into?

I don't think instinct (which could well be a product of epigenetics to a certain degree) has much to do with cognition.

Hi Phage! Loved you in Footloose, lol!
"Is a conditioned response a memory?" Isn't a conditioned response learned? The first generation of mice learned to fear the smell through experience...so why did the second generation even HAVE that fear? (I still think the genetic memory idea is worth investigating).

"I don't think instinct.....has much to do with cognition." So that leaves it questionable then....so it might....right?

Does "instinct tell us that dark places are not necessarily a good place to venture into?" or is that a learned fear? I believe that fear is learned through experience or taught by others who have that fear....so irrational fears...without previous experience or teaching....are coming from....?

I still think there is much more to this than we know...yet.
jacygirl

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   

foxykittybite

This raises more questions. Sometimes, the person who remembers their past life may describe their past life selves as a totally different person. They lived the life of someone who had no relation to them that we are aware of-genetically speaking.

Hey foxykittybite!
You bring up some good points that I have no answers for, lol.
I guess my only response would be...that perhaps we really have no idea who our ancestors truly are. We assume that people didn't have 'relations' with anyone other than their spouse, but we really don't know who made babies with whom.

I could be clinging to a theory because I don't like the 'other' theory (reincarnation)....? I just think there is much more to it than we have discovered. Another member brought up 'deja vu'...not quite sure where that fits in...maybe worthy of another thread?
Lots to ponder.

jacygirl

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Isn't a conditioned response learned?
Absolutely. I just have an issue with calling it a memory. I don't remember cave bears but dark caves make me nervous.

The first generation of mice learned to fear the smell through experience...so why did the second generation even HAVE that fear?
Research (pretty much in its infancy) indicates that the fear may be passed on through epigenetic "markers" that don't actually affect the DNA as such. They are sort of like add-ons that build up on DNA and affect the way the genome works, causing it to produce proteins (hormones) that it otherwise wouldn't. A fascinating aspect is that these epigentic markers can apparently be removed, causing that inherited fear to go away.

www.livescience.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Yeah Al, Scientology ...uhm, well they DO have some legit angles and practices, and it's no wonder as their guru was neck deep in Magik and esoteric ...stuff, which has, imo, some valid things to say.

BUT their practice and cult atmosphere destroy any legit good their methods might produce... but yeah, parasitic energy beings mucking up our works (or metaphor for a more scientific understanding)... lots of experiential psychic stuff and esoteric writings point to that, too, and that pool of info is where ol' L.Ron got his ideas... but he was at heart a manipulative huckster who found the keys to the kingdom (how to program a human in five easy steps) and misused the heck outta them.

So Scientology, bad... their ideas... interesting (minus the proper first name of some dude from 300 million B.C.) and horribly misused.

But then, the broad brush painting Scientology as a whack cult works, too, because one has to be fairly careful in self programming because EVERYONE is susceptible to programming... that's what humans are, wet, stinky computers.

Edit2: and as far as the OP, no wonder dark ocean waters give me the whillies... some poor slob in my past dna line got attacked by some denizen of the ocean, passing me the fear of dark waters, maybe... but if they were actually killed by the fear-causing event, then it wouldn't be passed down, right?

So if dna can give us memory, it seems that some who ascribe phobias' origins to this finding forget that the real fear causing event took the ancestor outta the genetic line and into a shark's tummy (or cave bears'... nod to phage).

edit on 1/28/2014 by Baddogma because: metaphor

edit on 1/28/2014 by Baddogma because: dna memory add

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hey Phage, thanks for the link! From that site: "If the method works, reshuffling the epigenome could prolong a cancer patient's life, offer a better alternative to chemotherapy and, perhaps one day, even cure cancer, Issa said." (THAT sounds promising!)

As for removing epigenetic markers? Where do I sign up, lol? I would love to lose my fear of spiders. (I'll take a dark cave over a spider any day!)

jacygirl

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Speaking of this Memories Instinct DNA Markers Repetitive Events causing an adaption into our DNA likes dislikes Fear Anger Love Hate Good Bad etc... From the Consciousness Mind ... causing Survival and Adaption !

Reminds me of this Movie I love Some Much in the Ground of the Very Same thing this Thread Speaks of !

What if a BIG WHAT IF We could Tap into those Memory markers ..

Love the Part ..

we could be Screw up our Genetic Structure how can we Stop this !

We have Million of years Stored A way in a computer Bank what we call Our Minds !

We Have Trillion of Dormant Genes in us Our Whole Evolutionary Path perhaps Id TAP into That!

What if Dreams of a past Life could of Been a real event .. and a Dejavu

A good lessen .. plz hear it .. a Close Ear..

Altered States - The Monologue

This is my favorite scene in "Altered States", when William Hurt goes off on a brilliant rant about his theological and scientific beliefs.

"I'm a man in search of his true self. How archetypically American can you get? We're all trying to fulfill ourselves, understand ourselves, get in touch with ourselves, face the reality of ourselves, explore ourselves, expand ourselves. Ever since we dispensed with God, we've got nothing but ourselves to explain this meaningless horror of life. I think that true self, that original self, that first self is a real mensurate and quantifiable thing, tangible and incarnate. And I'm gonna find the #er."

you may Laugh in the Above video post !!

but .. .. .. ... ....

Building a dinosaur from a chicken (TED Talks)

Renowned paleontologist Jack Horner has spent his career trying to reconstruct a dinosaur. He's found fossils with extraordinarily well-preserved blood vessels and soft tissues, but never intact DNA. So, in a new approach, he's taking living descendants of the dinosaur (chickens) and genetically engineering them to reactivate ancestral traits — including teeth, tails, and even hands — to make a "Chickenosaurus".

Now what if we Tap into those Memory polymers Markers from our thought our Mind Alone ... if Possible..?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Their seems to be different types of humans. Some people have a history of reincarnation-not everyone. If reincarnated memories was strictly caused by our DNA wouldn't we be reliving our ancestors memories all the time? Perhaps reincarnation is a choice? Hope that makes you feel better. No need to relive a life on this planet more than once-whew!

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
just wanted to link this thread with another thread !! of ATS

Interesting ATS

Scientists watch glowing molecules form memories in real time
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Molecular Basis of Memory
Watching Molecules Morph into Memories
www.einstein.yu.edu...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>