It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have found that memories may be passed down through generations in our DNA

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

New research from Emory University School of Medicine, in Atlanta, has shown that it is possible for some information to be inherited biologically through chemical changes that occur in DNA. During the tests they learned that that mice can pass on learned information about traumatic or stressful experiences – in this case a fear of the smell of cherry blossom – to subsequent generations.

themindunleashed.org...

This is interesting it may help to explain the irrational phobia people have like being scared of heights or a fear of the dark. The experiment indicates that memories can sometimes be stored on the genome. The mechanisms of this are not yet understood and more research needs to be done before it can be applied to humans.....

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Its pretty cool how photons align with the double helix and keep the helix configuration even when the organic material is removed from a vacuum sealed chamber.
Interesting post.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

It would definitely be a good step in understanding how insects and animals know exactly what they're doing without being taught it.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Hi purplemer,
This topic is very interesting to me. I read a theory that memories (from ancestors) may be stored in our DNA, and the theory is that this is what is really happening, rather than 'past life' memories (reincarnation).
Perhaps I like this idea because I don't want to believe that I have to keep coming back over and over again...? (lol)

I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say.
S&F
jacygirl

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Interesting theory. Would possibly explain some of the stories you hear about children with vivid memories on a past life.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Very interesting. I wonder how many generations it can be passed down before the memory surfaces?

Could explain child prodigies.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

People in or from Scientology (many of the best ones leave), the 1950s Eidetic Foundation, and others have been working with (and working out) this kind of trauma for decades. Ron Hubbard discovered this phenomena in the early 1950s. I'm not a scientologist (although I don't play one on TV) but it surprises me how almost everyone at ATS discredit them with the wide brush that is created by the MSM and other sources of sometimes pile-on misinformation.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   

angryhulk
Interesting theory. Would possibly explain some of the stories you hear about children with vivid memories on a past life.
I think there must be another explanation for some of those, because this says it works with learned memories.

Some of those child memories of past lives were not learned by anyone in their genetic past. I did see one case where the child had the memories of his own grandfather, so in a case like that I suppose it could be genetically passed on, but there are other cases where the memory is of someone in a different part of the world with no genetic link.

I suspected that DNA could carry memories long before this study came out. It will be interesting to see what researchers find about how this works in humans. But it's pretty apparent that some behaviors are genetically programmed, so DNA has to carry something like memories to enable young creatures to know how to do something that nobody has ever taught them how to do.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
So...

The Ancient Pharaohs and other Kings/Rulers all over the world were preserved/mummified. For the 'After Life' in the new realm. So according to this maybe in a way they were right?

Clone them and see what they knew

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

jacygirl

Hi purplemer,
This topic is very interesting to me. I read a theory that memories (from ancestors) may be stored in our DNA, and the theory is that this is what is really happening, rather than 'past life' memories (reincarnation).
Perhaps I like this idea because I don't want to believe that I have to keep coming back over and over again...? (lol)

I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say.
S&F
jacygirl

I tend to think that way too. My fear of things sometimes feel as though they are not my own, then a relative may say something that catches my attention and I cant help but think this came from them due to DNA. If we all hold the DNA memories of our ancestors, that may explain how we know some things that we are not sure where the knowledge came from. I find it truly fascinating myself and I am constantly observing my behaviors too. Do you ever find it weird when you say something or laugh or whatever, and you think OMG that was my mother/or father? Same principle I think.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Of course, to some degree, this already was known….it surely is the basis for instinct, such as woodland animals who instinctually know to be wary of smoke and go the other direction, yes? As to how much information is encoded, that is the question, and perhaps evolving mutations are involved, as well, which makes the prospect even more interesting. Good topic, though. This topic always makes me think of the Dune series and Frank Herbert, as the sisterly priesthood of the Bene Gesseret were known in that work of fiction to inherit the life memories through their cellular make up of those that served before them, remembering all their past lives….
Tetra

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Aleister

I'm not a scientologist (although I don't play one on TV)

hahaha...aww, Aleister, you're showing your age (and mine!!). I gave you a star, for that quote alone!
I remember that commercial, "I'm not a doctor although I play one on TV".

jacygirl

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Several years ago, I watched an old Alamo movie with Stacy Keech, and in the part where he takes a dead baby away from one of the colonists, I was an emotional wreak, I cried so hard. It was simply ridicules. (I mean really, who cries for 2 hours over a movie? Then obsesses about it for days?). I grieved like I lost one of my own kids.

I didn't understand my emotional outburst, until I was working on my genealogy and discovered, my great grands x3 (Isaac and Zilly Jackson) were with Stephan Austin's "old three hundred" original colonists in Texas. And my gr X 2 grandmother (Amanda Jackson) was 5 years old when Santa Ana's army forced everyone to abandon their homes and live in the wilderness for several months, the "run away scrape" (as its called today).
During those months of hiding, and starvation, one of my Aunts died. (my dads side)
While this was going on, my moms gr X 3 uncle (Robert White) died at the Alamo, and her other uncle (white) and his family was slaughtered at Goliad.

I don't know if, I genetically relived these experiences, but, getting so emotional about a movie, isn't normal for me. Honestly, its the only explanation that has ever made since.

I am going to Texas this spring for the first time, and will be visiting the places my ancestors helped establish. Im thinking, I better bring a box of tissue!!! (Amanda Jackson married Pleasant Wimberley, of Wimberley Tx.) For anyone who wants to check my story.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Hey Starwise!
lol...yes! Sometimes I do say something and think, "OMG...that's my father talking (or mother)"...
Both of my parents are deceased, and I really don't have any family apart from my own children now. I don't know how much I may be like a grandparent or distant relative as I have no one to ask.

I've never been one to have previous life memories...if reincarnation is real, then I think I'm new here, hehe.
I tend to believe personally that genetic memory is more than we know. If I could go back to school now, I'd probably study it.

Sometimes people, places, even smells seem familiar...and I want to know why. I think there is a LOT to this!
jacygirl

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

Here are a couple of free genealogy websites: www.rootsweb.com www.familysearch.org www.findagrave.com (find a grave is just a gigantic grave yard site, but sometimes finding where they are buried can lead to documents in County or city locations.)
If you want to search for your "people".
I have been doing genealogy for a very long time, so if I can help you navigate through these sites, let me know. I also have a subscription to Ancestry, I can search some names for you. I am leaving next week for Oahu and wont have too much time, until March.

Personally, I kind a think there is something to this genetic memory stuff. Mainly, because in my quest to "know thy self", knowing who my people were, and the stories surrounding their lives, has taught me a lot about who I am.
edit on 26-1-2014 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by misskat1

misskat1...thank you so much!! (How lovely of you to offer!)

I have played around on some of the free genealogy sites in the past, but I get stuck because I don't really know too much (names) beyond my own parents. They were both born in England, and I was born in Canada.
I'm an only child, so was my mother...I believe her mother was too. My father had brothers who died during WWII.

I will send you a private message with a name though, because I believe I am somehow related to a female race car driver from the 60's (she is very well known in the racing world).
Thanks again....off to U2U you, lol.
jacygirl

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

You're related to Shirley, JacyGirl? How excellent!
Tetra

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

tetra50

You're related to Shirley, JacyGirl? How excellent!
Tetra

No, not Shirley....Natalie Goodwin! (At least I'm pretty sure I am...asking misskat to look into it further for me).
jacygirl

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I always thought that on some level our memorys were passed on in our Genes. Recently they discovered Water can carry information and a memory is a form of information. That got me excited because to me it meant we aren't far from Dune like awakenings.
I'm not sure I'd wanna relive/remember my family's former lives but it'd be awesome that I could if I wanted to.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

hello jacygirl
I never really thought about it in terms of reincarnation. It does put it in a different perspective...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join