It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consumer Reports: Caramel Coloring Chemical In Soda Linked To Cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

The golden-brown color of many soft drinks comes with a dose of the chemical 4-methylimidazole, or 4-MeI. On U.S. product labels it appears simply as "caramel coloring."

Those who say the chemical may possibly cause cancer include the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer and the state of California, which now limits manufacturers to 29 micrograms of exposure for the average consumer per day.

Foods exceeding that limit have to carry a warning label that reads: "WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer."

Consumer Reports article:
www.consumerreports.org...

Other sources for the story:
www.cbsnews.com...
www.cnn.com...
www.nbcnews.com...
abcnews.go.com...

I've always told people that drinking that dark, black soda will harm them more than drinking something like Sprite.

I work with someone who brings in a 6-pack of Diet Dr. Pepper (24-oz bottles), every single day. And drinks that whole entire 6-pack every day. I can't imagine what that dark stuff is doing to the inside of his body. Especially drinking that much.

I only ever used to drink Sprite when I drank a lot of soda back in the day, but I have since removed that from my diet a few years ago. The only soda I drink now is one 24-oz bottle of Mt. Dew a day at work for the caffeine. Other than that, I only drink orange juice and water.

So, if any of you are still drinking that dark stuff with caramel coloring, you might want to think about removing it from your diet sooner rather than later.

edit on 25-1-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: spelled caramel wrong :/

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Soda is great and all when you're young, but when you grow up and drink fresh fruit juices not from concentrate, without random additives, you begin to understand how much better the simple act of quenching your thirst can be.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

And drinks that whole entire 6-pack every day. I can't imagine what that dark stuff is doing to the inside of his body. Especially drinking that much.

That and the sugar. Anyone know how many spoonfuls of sugar they need to sweeten carbonated water to make "soda"?

Then theres the aluminum can or plastic bottle. Take your poison, now.

Lastly. Ever notice how they always focus on this kind of stuff as cancer causing? What about all the PCB's, Dioxin, heavy metals and smog from agriculture, mining, the internal combustion engine and factories?

Just the dyes in our food are dangerous…

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
We're all dead. Who hasn't ever had a cola to drink? Everything we drink or eat now causes cancer! Give some lab about 20 years of research on carrots and they'll probably find out they cause cancer. lol.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

WeRpeons
We're all dead. Who hasn't ever had a cola to drink? Everything we drink or eat now causes cancer! Give some lab about 20 years of research on carrots and they'll probably find out they cause cancer. lol.

Its not the carrots, its all the "nutrients" they absorb during the growth cycle.

The chemical fertilizers, the insecticides… oh and Keratin. Thats good for your eyes.

top topics

join