It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hermetic Universe: A case for intelligent design?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Introduction

I realize that Hermeticism has been presented on ATS before but I am going to try and attempt to bring together three main ideas that I feel are interconnected and help to form a pattern that exists but is not so readily recognized by that many people today. I hope to illustrate, in these discussions, how we may perhaps enhance our understanding of some underlying principles that we may take for granted in our everyday lives. You be the judge.

Wikipedia: "Hermeticism, also called Hermetism, is a religious and philosophical tradition based primarily upon pseudepigraphical writings attributed to Hermes Trismegistus ("Thrice Great"). These writings have greatly influenced the Western esoteric tradition and were considered to be of great importance during both the Renaissance and the Reformation. The tradition claims descent from a prisca theologia, a doctrine which affirms that a single, true theology exists which is present in all religions and was given by God to man in antiquity.

Many Christian writers, including Lactantius, Thomas of Aquinas, Augustine, Giordano Bruno, Marsilio Ficino, Campanella and Giovanni Pico della Mirandola considered Hermes Trismegistus to be a wise pagan prophet who foresaw the coming of Christianity.
An account of how Hermes Trismegistus received the name "Thrice Great" is derived from the The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus, wherein it is stated that he knew the three parts of the wisdom of the whole universe. The three parts of the wisdom are alchemy, astrology, and theurgy."

Discussion

Part I – The 7 Hermetic Principles

Hermetic Philosophy, is a philosophical and religious tradition based on the teachings of a figurehead called Hermes Trismegistus, which is a blend of the Greek god Hermes and the Egyptian god Thoth. The hermetic teachings, which describe the underlying laws of the Universe, are said to be fundamentally similar to those found in major religions of the world. The seven Hermetic Principles or laws are found in the book called The Kybalion, which was published in 1912 anonymously by three people calling themselves the "Three Initiates." Many of the Hermetic principles are explained in this book using fairly understandable 20th century language.

1. Law of Gender

“Gender is in everything; everything has its masculine and feminine principles; gender manifests on all planes.”

2. Law of Cause and Effect

“Every cause has its effect; every effect has its cause; everything happens according to Law. Chance is but a name for Law not recognized. There are many planes of causation, but nothing escapes the Law.”

3. Law of Rhythm

“Everything flows, out and in; everything has its tides; all things rise and fall; the pendulum-swing manifests in everything; the measure of the swing to the right is the measure of the swing to the left; rhythm compensates.”

4. Law of Polarity

“Everything is Dual; everything has poles; everything has its pair of opposites; like and unlike are the same; opposites are identical in nature, but different in degree; extremes meet; all truths are but half-truths; all paradoxes may be reconciled.”

5. Law of Vibration

“Nothing rests; everything moves; everything vibrates.”

6. Law of Correspondence

“As above, so below; as below, so above.”

7. Law of Mentalism

“THE ALL is MIND; The Universe is mental.”

Each of these 7 laws are discussed in greater detail in the link below:
The Laws

Part II – The Hermetic Code
If you’re not familiar with Michael Hayes he has written a book whereby he believes that the Egyptians where aware of Pi, 22/7, and used this in their construction of the Great Pyramid of Giza but whose general discovery of Pi is mainly attributed to the Greeks.

“Pi is, in fact, a symbolic embodiment of the two most fundamental laws of nature, namely: the ubiquitous law of three forces, (active-passive-neutral) and the lesser known but equally all-embracing law of octaves. The law of three forces, as we shall see, is the absolute mainstay of all creative processes; its influence manifests practically everywhere. The second law, the law of octaves, tells us that all phenomena generated by these three primordial forces are essentially musical structures. To sensibly visualise this concept, we need to look at the formula Pi when expressed musically. This may look baffling at first, but in reality, it's as easy as Doh re mi.”

“Three, the number of the Trinity, is the number of octaves encoded in Pi. Seven is the number of intervals between the notes of each of these octaves. Four is the number of 'base-notes' (Doh's), in three consecutive octaves. Eight is the number of fundamental notes in a single octave. Twenty-two is the number of notes in three consecutive octaves. And, according to the law of three forces, the three octaves incorporated in Pi are each sub-divisible into three octaves apiece, giving an inward formula of nine octaves, or 64 'notes'. So eight is the constant and sixty-four...”

Hayes has called this musical pattern of symmetry The Hermetic Code, after the Greek god of wisdom and patron of alchemy, Hermes Trismegistus, known as the god, Thoth, in Old Kingdom Egypt.
Hayes goes on to say:

“Nothing in this universe can be created without the combined action of the three forces described by it: active, passive and neutral. The three main constituents of atoms - protons, electrons, neutrons - the triplet-codon templates of the genetic code, the three-pin plug, two opposing teams and a neutral referee, the three primary colours of the rainbow, the tripart social and political arenas, two chemical compounds and an intermediary catalyst - all of these trinities exist and interact as a direct result of the three fundamental forces described by the first law of nature. Whenever and wherever something new is created, these three forces will inevitably be there.
The second law - the law of octaves - also operates throughout the entire universe. For example, the atomic scale of matter described by the periodic table of elements in chemistry conforms to this law precisely. Based on the atomic weight of a given substance, the table begins at its apex with hydrogen, the lightest of all elements, which has just one electron tracing a specific orbit, or 'period', around the nucleus. The heavier the element, the more electrons it houses, and the more periods are needed to accommodate them. The table ends with substances like curium, one of the densest of elements and more radioactive than uranium or even plutonium. The curium atom plays host to ninety-six electrons, which between them trace a total of seven periods around the nucleus - precisely the number of 'periods', or intervals, between the fundamental notes of the major musical scale. The eighth, transcendental 'note' of this atomic scale is of course the whole phenomenon, all atoms combined.” “Then we have the hermetic structure of light, with its three primary colours, the seven fundamental colours of the spectrum, and the final, eighth 'note', the product of all seven colours when spun together - white light"

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
And much more if you would care to dive in further:
Michael Hayes

Part III – The 7 Chakras and The 7 Hermetic Principles

For those who are not familiar, Chakra meditation is a way of meditating that enables you to heal and strengthen your chakras. The body has seven main chakras or energy centers, each of which governs a different element within your life.
The knowledge originally comes from eastern mysticism, and dates back thousands of years. The knowledge built up around it has expanded over this time and has been disseminated through various mediums including meditation and yoga.

The seven chakras are arranged vertically through the body with the first being at the base of the pelvis, and the seventh being on the top of the head. Chakra meditation works with each chakra in turn. Progressively healing and strengthening each then moving to the next, healing and strengthening each time. With further practice enabling greater reinforcing of the work done previously, and further building upon the energetic strength of the chakra.

This kind of meditation creates changes with specific elements of your life each time it is done, due to the fact that each chakra governs a particular element within your life. These are as follows:
• Crown (white, purple) – Spiritually, Universal connection
• Third Eye (violet) – Perception, psychic ability
• Throat (blue) – Communication
• Heart (emerald green) – Romantic and self love
• Solar Plexus (yellow) – Will, confidence, self worth, manifestation
• Sacral (orange) – Creativity, fertility (female)
• Root (black, brown, red) – Grounding, connection to the physical world, stability, fertility (male)
These 7 Chakras also share a relationship with the 7 Hermetic Principles. If you are interested, please take the time to watch this 6 min. video:
Hermetic Laws and Chakras

Conclusion

Well, this is up to you. Perhaps I have bitten off more than I can chew, but I thought it was better for the macrocosm to be presented, rather than three separate threads. I think there is something actually in this relationship between music, Pi, the Hermetic Code in general, Chakra meditation and progression to Kundalini and its interconnection to the Hermetic Principles. So, if we acknowledge the hermetic principles and code and agree that we are all interconnected, then does this open the possibility for intelligent design? You decide…

“All things are interrelated, and everything affects everything else. Thus, whatever we send into the lives of others comes back into our own life, with greater magnitude” – Law of Karma

As above so below, as within so without….

edit on ppm125America/ChicagoSat, 25 Jan 2014 19:10:13 -0600136pm14 by pandersway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by pandersway

Awesome thread, I happen to love the Kybalion. It is about the only text"I have bothered to understand so thank you for putting it out there on a post to peruse again.

You might be interested in this thread also (maybe not).
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 25-1-2014 by TheDualityExperience because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Great thread, I enjoyed the read. S&F

It's interesting how everything comes in pairs plus a neutral area. Just like with the number scale, you have positive, negative, and zero. Everything seems to follow this pattern, even our very existence where we have a body (positive), soul (negative), and when the two meet (zero) you have life or consciousness.

I think there is something to be learned from this process and pattern. We may even learn a thing or two about ourselves if we pay attention to it.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a well written and informative thread; this is a great over view and explanation of Hermeticism, the Chakras, and Pi.
the Kybalion is a must read/own for anyone interested in this field.

With that being said, I would concur, as this is the route I have been finding as of late. Through all my personal studies over the years of everything from science and theology to music and frequencies etc, I have attempted to trace back their origins and have found Hermeticism to be a viable umbrella approach/philosophy that does well to explain the nature of all things (depending how deep into it you go) as well as having the ancient roots in time that make it - to me - seem more valid.. I tend to believe that if there is any truth within theology then it must only come from the most original (oldest) sources.

There is naught but revelation when you start to unravel the connections between frequency and "reality" and begin to get an understanding of the true nature of things.
and there are definitely clues within that could lead one to the acceptance of intelligent design. though the term should be used loosely insomuch as we do not actually believe that we can ever fully comprehend the disembodied intelligence that is THE ALL or The Creation or even that of "God" (creator of man, separate from the all but just as incomprehensible)

I have learned and experienced much after treading the path of Hermeticism for even a short time, so for me, this is as close to the truth as I think any of us can get at this time.

S+F

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDualityExperience

Thank you...it was an interesting read!

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by EmpathicBandit

...and there are definitely clues within that could lead one to the acceptance of intelligent design. though the term should be used loosely insomuch as we do not actually believe that we can ever fully comprehend the disembodied intelligence that is THE ALL or The Creation or even that of "God" (creator of man, separate from the all but just as incomprehensible)

This is very well put! I most certainly agree and present this thread as only a lead to what MAYBE be an actuality.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Excellent thread, i am going to explore this subject more. Being a musician it really peaks my interest. Cheers.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DrunkYogi

If I recall, Lennon said that he wrote "Across the Universe" in the middle of the night after a fight with Yoko. What I'm getting at is the combination of meditation and creativity. I always meditate first thing in the morning and I also find that I am at my most creative at that time.

I don't know if you meditate, but I think it would be awesome to mix the two. Music and meditation go hand in hand.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

pandersway

If I recall, Lennon said that he wrote "Across the Universe" in the middle of the night after a fight with Yoko. What I'm getting at is the combination of meditation and creativity. I always meditate first thing in the morning and I also find that I am at my most creative at that time.

I don't know if you meditate, but I think it would be awesome to mix the two. Music and meditation go hand in hand.

Hi Pandersway, i do meditate. I used to do TM and various other techniques but now i tend to go for the Krishnamurti style. This was copied by Eckhart Tolle in his book The Power of Now, which is, i may add, an excellent book. I am sure it helps with creativity.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Power on!

top topics

join