It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers may have found a cause for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Looking for more info.. ran across this! Serotonin!

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is postulated to result from abnormalities in brainstem control of autonomic function and breathing during a critical developmental period. Abnormalities of serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine [5-HT]) receptor binding in regions of the medulla oblongata involved in this control have been reported in infants dying from SIDS.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
One of my children almost died of SIDs. Fortunately we we lived directly across the street from the entrance to the ER. Ran across the street not even full dressed, but I didn't care. It was one of the most scariest moments of my life. I was freaking out so bad I am surprised the hospital staff didn't knock me out. They kept him a few days for testing and observation but couldn't find anything wrong, they just chalked it up to a close call with SIDs told me if it hadn't been noticed when it was and if I took any longer to get to the ER than I did he could have had brain damage or or died.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

calstorm
One of my children almost died of SIDs. Fortunately we we lived directly across the street from the entrance to the ER. Ran across the street not even full dressed, but I didn't care. It was one of the most scariest moments of my life. I was freaking out so bad I am surprised the hospital staff didn't knock me out. They kept him a few days for testing and observation but couldn't find anything wrong, they just chalked it up to a close call with SIDs told me if it hadn't been noticed when it was and if I took any longer to get to the ER than I did he could have had brain damage or or died.

Thank goodness you were able to respond so quickly and it was close!

You know, I was thinking... if we could tell what kids have this issue, a sleep apnea monitor.. or something like it.. would alert when the breathing stopped. That would greatly up chances of the baby surviving.

Oh and Cal.. my middle daughter was born with liver disease, later a liver transplant, etc. I too have ran to the ER with her looking like a deranged half dressed homeless person. I think they might be used to it!

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
My 2 cents worth... As a mortician who has done my fair share of SIDs cases.

There are probably some random deaths. That may vary in causes so wide, we may never understand / prevent all of them.

But..... A lot are in homes where at least one party smokes. What people do not understand about smoke, is even the smallest part per million will cause an increase on blood pressure. This is a fight or flight response.

I believe this normally small increase can cause a mini stroke of some sort in very young brains. So small our normal detection techniques are useless.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

thedeadtruth
My 2 cents worth... As a mortician who has done my fair share of SIDs cases.

There are probably some random deaths. That may vary in causes so wide, we may never understand / prevent all of them.

But..... A lot are in homes where at least one party smokes. What people do not understand about smoke, is even the smallest part per million will cause an increase on blood pressure. This is a fight or flight response.

I believe this normally small increase can cause a mini stroke of some sort in very young brains. So small our normal detection techniques are useless.

I think you are likely correct in some cases. As always... we dont know everything and many deaths are attributed to things that arent correctly diagnosed. Also, we are still learning to detect things and making new advances in diagnostics, so perhaps there are many reasons for the variety of different deaths that are thrown under "SIDS".

You might be interested, what Im finding in some of the research Im reading is that there are clusters of "causes" in SIDS. This brain stem/serotonin issue being a huge one.. but there are several "defects" that get pushed under SIDS. I guess they have to really do more investigation into what all is lumped into SIDS.. and maybe learn to detect the specific causes of death. It would go a long way in prevention anyway.

Good lord. that was rambly. Hope you can make sense of what Im actually trying to say! LOL!

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Boston Children’s Hospital found chemical abnormalities

If one was to ask for a full list of ingredients to what is in the shots given to babies these days, one may not go ahead.

I was once gobsmacked how people would blindly allow their babies to be assaulted with deadly poisons, now I expect it!

Yes, God failed and we must fix his mistakes, yeah?

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

sunnynights

Boston Children’s Hospital found chemical abnormalities

If one was to ask for a full list of ingredients to what is in the shots given to babies these days, one may not go ahead.

I was once gobsmacked how people would blindly allow their babies to be assaulted with deadly poisons, now I expect it!

Yes, God failed and we must fix his mistakes, yeah?

Theyre talking about brain chemicals.. serotonin receptor binding abnormalities.

CONCLUSION: Compared with controls, SIDS was associated with lower 5-HT and TPH2 levels, consistent with a disorder of medullary 5-HT deficiency.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

believe me I know about this subject more then most.
reply to post by nitetrain

If that is true, then you know that NO repeat NO amount of 'closely' watching your baby can prevent it.
You can check your safely sleeping baby, go to the bathroom, and check again only to find that your child is now a victim of SIDS.
SIDS has been with us since the beginning of days, world wide. There are even accounts in the bible.

Children suspected of being potential SIDS victims have been put on a 24/7 monitor s, and it appears to have saved some lives, but not all. Babies have died from SIDS in their parents arms, and doctors arms.
Sometimes they can be revived, sometimes they can't when breathing ceases.

Saying it can be prevented by closer parental supervision is disinformation. Please research the subject further.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   

You know, I was thinking... if we could tell what kids have this issue, a sleep apnea monitor.. or something like it.. would alert when the breathing stopped. That would greatly up chances of the baby surviving.

These have been used for thirty years that I know of for babies diagnosed as being 'high risk' for SIDS.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This has always been a nightmare of mine with my kids - I became quite paranoid about it to the point I would check on them constantly and always follow all the advice etc. Thankfully, I've never had to go through it and I am glad they might be zeroing in on a cause.

On this subject though, my smallest one (3 now) likes to climb into bed with us during the night and just a few days ago he was sleeping next me, snoring away, then just stopped breathing for what seemed like an age.

I was about to enter full panic mode when he loudly snorted, coughed a bit and carried on breathing. He has a bit of a cold and it would seem he got bunged up. Thankfully, his response was good and he sort of woke, changed his position and went back to sleep.

All the while, I was trying to recover from the near fatal coronary episode he put me through....

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

nugget1

These have been used for thirty years that I know of for babies diagnosed as being 'high risk' for SIDS.

Well.. AWESOME!! I had no idea to tell you the truth. I wonder how they determine high risk for sids.. since they didnt know the mechanism for the majority until very recently. Was it perhaps due to a sibling dying from SIDS? I worked ER.. I definitely am not an expert on this particular issue and never was privy to the care after stabilization.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

Curious, before the advent of this article, what would be considered "high risk" for SIDS, if nothing about SIDS was ever known before hand? in a sense, practically every infant is a high risk for SIDS.
I remember guys from new york working on a little monitor you put on your infants chest an feet to constantly monitor your baby, never seen one though.
Even though SIDS was something not very understood, it produced viable solutions to help reducing cases like sleep positioning, with practices like these, it helped weed out what was truly SIDS an other things like sleep asphyxia.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

I am pretty sure you missed my point also...boy everyone tossing rocks today.

Let's try it this way...

Keep missing my point, I will respond , you will respond, advantage will respond..Keep tossing rocks...

Do you know what that means...more exposure....good more exposure about SIDs

One parent may read this, that decides to go and check on the newborn...whoops blanket and pillow...better get them out...

One baby saved all because of SIDs exposure..

Thanks to the two know it all's ( advantage and nugget1) you may have just saved a newborn..
no need for reading comprehension...

Whether a cause or not is found..exposure of SID is great..
my opinion obviously if that is allowed...

And yes they have heart monitors for the crib...
should be mandatory to give parents when leaving hospital with newborn...

edit on 25-1-2014 by nitetrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Advantage

nugget1

Well.. AWESOME!! I had no idea to tell you the truth. I wonder how they determine high risk for sids.. since they didnt know the mechanism for the majority until very recently. Was it perhaps due to a sibling dying from SIDS? I worked ER.. I definitely am not an expert on this particular issue and never was privy to the care after stabilization.

High-risk groups:
More male than female babies ( more males than females are born each year, so am not personally convinced.)
Premature birth
Low birth weight
Lower income families
Indoor smoker(s) Born in fall/winter months

Unfortunately, SIDS doesn't often give warning signs before striking.

Scientists have suspected for decades that there was a brain connection. I rejoice that they may have found the 'smoking gun'; now they need to find the trigger.

To add for all those who would care to share an 'opinion' on the cause:

Thousands of babies that have NEVER been vaccinated, or received shots of any kind, have died from SIDS.
Same with babies not exposed to smoking.

edit on 60000001111America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

nugget1

Advantage

nugget1

High-risk groups:
More male than female babies ( more males than females are born each year, so am not personally convinced.)
Premature birth
Low birth weight
Lower income families
Indoor smoker(s) Born in fall/winter months

Unfortunately, SIDS doesn't often give warning signs before striking.

Scientists have suspected for decades that there was a brain connection. I rejoice that they may have found the 'smoking gun'; now they need to find the trigger.

To add for all those who would care to share an 'opinion' on the cause:

Thousands of babies that have NEVER been vaccinated, or received shots SIDS.
Same with babies not exposed to smoking.

P.S. One doctor 'proved' that it ran in families, and was thus hereditary. When it was discovered he falsified his findings, repeat independent autopsies were done, and proved murder in the 'hereditary' cases his research papers were based on.
Since that data was thrown out , statistics of SIDS striking the same family twice are astronomically high.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Even though SIDS was something not very understood, it produced viable solutions to help reducing cases like sleep positioning, with practices like these, it helped weed out what was truly SIDS an other things like sleep asphyxia.
reply to post by Arnie123

Sleep apnea, or something nearly identical, plays an integral part in SIDS.
See my other post for identifiable known factors that put a baby at higher risk.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Epiglottis failure is the result...
What causes the failure leading to the blockage of air passage, is the mystery.

The epiglottis is controlled by the craniAl nerves,which have a direct path to the brain.

These are deep in the brain, to be kept well protected. In the case of severe blows to the skull..
Because of the important function, along with blood pressure, heart rate, and other important vitals, they all reside deep in the brain...

The problem with SID has always been thought to stem from this area of the brain and the brain stem due to the failure of the epiglottis.
Now it seems they are finding chemical imbalances and pinpointing the supposed cause...

Exposure and education is always great even if it is from some knuckleheads..

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

nitetrain
reply to post by nugget1

I am pretty sure you missed my point also...boy everyone tossing rocks today.

Let's try it this way...

Keep missing my point, I will respond , you will respond, advantage will respond..Keep tossing rocks...

Do you know what that means...more exposure....good more exposure about SIDs

One parent may read this, that decides to go and check on the newborn...whoops blanket and pillow...better get them out...

One baby saved all because of SIDs exposure..

Thanks to the two know it all's ( advantage and nugget1) you may have just saved a newborn..
no need for reading comprehension...

Whether a cause or not is found..exposure of SID is great..
my opinion obviously if that is allowed...

And yes they have heart monitors for the crib...
should be mandatory to give parents when leaving hospital with newborn...

Not trying to throw stone, but it's obvious you have not researched SIDS.
All hospitals caution mothers against putting pillows in cribs, and putting babies on their stomachs.
If a baby smothers in a pillow, it IS NOT SIDS, and that is proven at autopsy.
More victims of SIDS have been found face down than in any other position., as this restricts the air way, among other things.
New mothers are cautioned to not play loud music, as it tends to make a baby go into much deeper sleep to get away from the sound. Soft, classical soothing music keeps them in a lighter sleep.

Research has made some fantastic discoveries, and you seem to have missed a good deal of them.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
The public opinion about SIDs is also heavily tainted by political correctness ( not wanting to openly blame parents ).

The media hardly give any attention to coroners reports.

Classic Eg..... The amount of babies dying of suffocation ( due to obese parents sleeping with children ) is only starting to be addressed in my country. Even though it has been a known FACT for as long as I have been in the industry. ( over 30 years )

Academics have danced around the issue the whole time.

So even if they knew the answer. Do not automatically assume it would be shared openly.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

Try again smarty pants...

And I agree 100 percent with the above post...especially the first sentence...

I believe the main goal is exposure...keeping All , let me repeat , All parents aware of SID. AND THE POSSIBLE CAUSES..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join