It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This game looks really promising> Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Doom and Gloom

I can't wait to get home and play it after work! It's very well done. Was a bit apprehensive to give it a shot after the royal failure of Destiny, but I'm glad I did. Everything about it has been refreshing; it's a game that was actually ready for release and features an engaging story. Some people were afraid it was going to offer a near complete departure from the original LOTR lore, but it's actually not so bad. It apparently takes place some time within the 17 year gap between the first and second chapters of LOTR, which is a strange period for those not familiar with the books. I can confirm Gollum does appear in the game, though how he's actually connected to the main characters I'm not sure of yet.

The nemesis system really does make the game though; it actually feels like you're playing an assassin in the middle of the enemies land. They don't forget who you are, and they don't forget what you did to them, whether that be setting them on fire, trying to kill them multiple times, and even failing to kill them. I've also killed three and had them come back to try and get vengeance... not sure how they can when I stabbed them multiple times and broke various bones.
This adds to the thrill of the game though in my opinion as you're never sure whether they'll come back or not and you'll have to deal with them in a more serious manner (off with their heads!).
It's cool to be trying to fight what you think is a random uruk and have them suddenly block your sword, the camera zooming in, and have them say 'remember me?' They also have internal power struggles and talk to each other when they're hunting you or just walking around. The power struggles make for great opportunities to kill them both when they're busy.
edit on 1-10-2014 by Septimus because: added more

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Septimus

It's cool to be trying to fight what you think is a random uruk and have them suddenly block your sword, the camera zooming in, and have them say 'remember me?'

That happened to me about 2 hours into the game. (currently at like 12 hours total).

I went to do a mission to disrupt some captain doing recruiting, thinking he would be the only one I would have to mess with. Well, right after I start fighting him, 2 more captains show up and it was a big kill fest.

I actually caught that big fight on video. I'll put it below if anyone wants to watch. (At this point in the game, I was really bad at using block, so I just jumped around alot)

ETA - Side question, but does anyone know how to upload better quality videos from the PS4 gameplay recorder? Im currently sending them to facebook and going from there, but the quality isnt the best at all
edit on 1-10-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: buni11687

From what I've read, there's not really a way to modify the quality as they get recoded after uploading them online anyways. You CAN upload to a USB storage device directly though, what you do with that is up to you. Twitch streaming might offer better quality if you break it up into clips.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ExNihiloRed
reply to post by St0rD

Reminds me of Assassin's Creed.

One of the developers of Assasins creed is accusing Shadow of Mordor of ripping off their code-I don't know if that is true or not,but the game does look very similar in many ways.

www.gamespot.com...

Looks like fun though.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Well, after 17 hours of playing around in the first map, I finally went ahead and did the last couple missions to open up the 2nd map.

(There may be some spoilers in the stuff below)

I fought one of the last warchiefs and also the Black Hammer in the last fight mission in the 1st map. They were actually a bit too easy. I was thinking the Hammer would take quite a few tries, but I completed it on my first try. I went ahead and made a video of the last warchief kill and the Hammer fight.

As for only being on the 2nd map for about and hour.....you finally get the dominate/brand ability quickly after starting the 2nd map.

Also, graugs now roam the map......Saw one wipe out about 20 orcs and 3 caragor in just a couple minutes.

ETA - also, there's quite a ton more caragors roaming the 2nd map to. Plus, it seems a large amount of ghuls come out at night to.
edit on 2-10-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
About 3 hrs played

It's frickin sweet

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Started the game last week and I'm hooked , really satisfying combat with the freedom to roam and do as you please.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join