It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How might living on Mars affect the evolution of the human species?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Will we become Martians?

With plans to inhabit Mars already in the works and expected to take shape by 2021, I wonder what the future generations of humans may be like after having adapted to the new environment of Mars?

Might we be able to breathe the atmosphere that exists there? Or perhaps create one of our own?

What sorts of animals and plant life might come to be? Will we be able to bring DNA and tweak it to create new forms of life capable of surviving Mars?

Some cool questions to ponder I think. I'm having flashbacks to Total Recall (the original)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

I'm so sorry to say this but I can't be as excited as most people on this one. I mean, just look at what we created on Planet Earth. We are going to need a f-cking miracle if we want to build something stable and worth-living on Planet Mars.

I understand it can be very exciting from a scientific perspective, but I believe we should focus on the 2021 we want to create on our own planet. And then, the day we will have succeeded here on Earth, maybe we can discuss colonizing others planets.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I would go for the above post! Man has always looked out the window and wondered about the Green Grass someone Else Has! Mars would not be any different then it is on Earth except on Mars!

Until We accept all as One, Life matters then Power or Money, it will stay the same.The ones who get to Mars will somehoe Think they Control Mars and on with the Story.

Unless we Learn First!

Peace

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Probably initialy the first few generations would develop weakened immune systems from a lack of flora and fauna and due to the controled biosphere and limited range of microbial interactions, they would also likely be taller but with weaker bone's and eventually would develop a slimmer form with less muscle mass as there heavy musculature would not be so necessary and they could limit there calorific intake accordingly becoming more efficient in the martian environment and also as the first generations would likely be selected from higher intelligence individuals to ensure there psychological adaptabillity the progeny of the earlier generations could be expected to achieve a higher overall intelligence than there in the wild earth bound cousin's but further down the line the environment and there form of society would selectively breed a different race from us but with the same base genome simply adapted to there new environment, bear in mind the human race is still evolving and devolving through new environments and cross breeding of more sophisticated populations with less sophisticated (evolved) populations as well as culture and society driven ideal's of beuty and intelligence which become seen as attractive trait's due to the herd mentality of the homo sapien primate, interesting to watch but I would not want to remain one for more than a lifetime.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

I don't blame you, but on Mars it would be a fresh start, to perhaps do things the right way.

Maybe no money or debts. Just community serving its own community for the betterment of community.

Living off the land, as they say. Oh what a land it is...

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

Very interesting take. Not to mention you did it all in one sentence.

Nice,

edit on 25-1-2014 by PhotonEffect because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

That is probably the only way it would be able to work but since corporations are likely to get there grubby paws on it I suspect the old barter and chitty system would rear it's ugly head, however your view does sound inspiring, I would like to go there myself but only with a stable biosphere (dome or cavern system - which could be constructed today with the US subterane tunnel machine's), it would be interesting if we found out we where not the first though.

Sadly I talk like that as well, someone once said they could not net a word in edgewise Ha.

edit on 25-1-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I actually think this is a very interesting topic.
At some point in our history we may end up with a colony on Mars, so it makes sense to discuss what physiological changes may occur.

Going off topic to discussing social issues is irrelevant to that topic IMO.

My first thought would be about the effect of having less than 40% (?) of the gravity we have on Earth. Would we become giants, retaining our current physical strength for instance? Would we stay the same size and perhaps our bones and muscles would weaken? I'd imagine we would be in artificial environments mimicking Earth for some time, but what would the difference in gravity mean?

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Humans have already destroyed Mars.
You are correct though, people would evolve to not look exactly the same as us. Biped yes but more or less dense in configuration depending on the noise of the planet.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Certainly would be interesting indeed.
I would love to find out, where do I sign up? Seriously though, I think people would be tall...
Actually, I'm wondering about the potential impacts to the mentality of those people there, I smell future civil wars among our peoples over freedoms, the colonist need to break away...
People change I think just from where they are born, like an island an such, remember the hobbit? those small human remains discovered not too long ago? small people in a small environment, lol, the same could be said about mars lol

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
We could build prisons on Mars and send the really bad ones there. Make sure that the ships do not have any fuel to return. No guards needed, they have to fend for themselves and grow their own foods or starve. Once every six months a ship will deliver supplies there, if they don't go out and get them they all starve, then that makes an opening for more prisoners..

Now at least this idea seems to have a payback, we don't have to support them in prisons.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Blaine91555

I actually think this is a very interesting topic.
At some point in our history we may end up with a colony on Mars, so it makes sense to discuss what physiological changes may occur.

Going off topic to discussing social issues is irrelevant to that topic IMO.

You know, when I added evolution to the title and op I initially thought about it in the physiological sense. Which in of itself is very interesting to consider.

But I think it could also be interesting to talk about the evolution of our behaviors as well.

My first thought would be about the effect of having less than 40% (?) of the gravity we have on Earth. Would we become giants, retaining our current physical strength for instance? Would we stay the same size and perhaps our bones and muscles would weaken? I'd imagine we would be in artificial environments mimicking Earth for some time, but what would the difference in gravity mean?

The gravity question is an interesting one. I wonder if we'd create a gravitational field that could mimic that of Earth, at least at first. But once we start mutating to adapt who the heck knows what we become!

ETA: I wonder too, how might the evolutionary process be affected by the varying conditions. I imagine that the evolution that occurs on Earth wouldn't be same anywhere else. I could be wrong of course. And this is supposing evolution is real.

edit on 25-1-2014 by PhotonEffect because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

PhotonEffect
reply to post by St0rD

I don't blame you, but on Mars it would be a fresh start, to perhaps do things the right way.

Maybe no money or debts. Just community serving its own community for the betterment of community.

Living off the land, as they say. Oh what a land it is...

I feel you but there is a major problem with the idea of a better world on Mars.

It's the simple fact that the people actually investing towards colonizing Mars are the same people who invested to build this society. Now, that means no matter how hard we will try to start anew, if we don't get rid of the exact cause of all this madness, history is doomed to repeat itselfs.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Yeah till they end up working together, forming a robust society free of crime, disease an starvation.
Working toward a future where one day they will birth the machines that transcend space itself, creating a war machine bent on revenge to those who sent them their to begin with...
Yeah lets do it, LETS GO WITH RICKY MOUSES IDEA!!

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

PhotonEffect

Will we become Martians?

With plans to inhabit Mars already in the works and expected to take shape by 2021, I wonder what the future generations of humans may be like after having adapted to the new environment of Mars?

It will be more us adapting Mars than Mars adapting us, but both would occur.

Might we be able to breathe the atmosphere that exists there? Or perhaps create one of our own?

What atmosphere? You do know it doesn't really have one right?

What sorts of animals and plant life might come to be? Will we be able to bring DNA and tweak it to create new forms of life capable of surviving Mars?

Nope. We need to change Mars for anything to survive on the surface.

Some cool questions to ponder I think. I'm having flashbacks to Total Recall (the original)

Good movie, but I wouldn't get my Mars knowledge from it.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I support the other guy who agrees that we should first start with beautiful blue planet that already has a pretty good chance of making us happy. We have hypothesis about Mars and how we can live there and we don't have a proper solutions for where we live now, here on earth.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bitsforbytes

First we need a way to get to those planets. That means developing technologies. That means we need a way to make it profitable. Asteroid mining might be the start.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I don't know, maybe we should try to keep things in check here without all our "methods" that jive in harmony with earths ways.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Ditto everything LABTECH767 posted.

Mars might not be far enough away to begin anew, though. I would think some physical characteristics might change, but we would still be influenced by many of the negative things we had back on Earth. Corporations and governments would quickly flex their muscle in the new world and run the show. It would gives us a little breathing room for a time, but eventually it would simply become Earth ver 2.0

Maybe one day we’ll be capable of interstellar travel to at least our nearest neighboring stars, though, and find a new home there. Then, I think, we might be able to leave our Earthly ways behind. Now that could become interesting. We would then become the aliens. Quite literally...

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

LABTECH767

Probably initialy the first few generations would develop weakened immune systems from a lack of flora and fauna and due to the controled biosphere and limited range of microbial interactions, they would also likely be taller but with weaker bone's and eventually would develop a slimmer form with less muscle mass as there heavy musculature would not be so necessary and they could limit there calorific intake accordingly becoming more efficient in the martian environment and also as the first generations would likely be selected from higher intelligence individuals to ensure there psychological adaptabillity the progeny of the earlier generations could be expected to achieve a higher overall intelligence than there in the wild earth bound cousin's but further down the line the environment and there form of society would selectively breed a different race from us but with the same base genome simply adapted to there new environment, bear in mind the human race is still evolving and devolving through new environments and cross breeding of more sophisticated populations with less sophisticated (evolved) populations as well as culture and society driven ideal's of beuty and intelligence which become seen as attractive trait's due to the herd mentality of the homo sapien primate, interesting to watch but I would not want to remain one for more than a lifetime.

Assuming our reproductive system would operate under such drastically reduced gravity right?

Also, if we lived in caves would it not be likely that large bulbous eyes may develop in response to low light, or even that our perceivable spectrum would change without the constant exposure to natural light. I wonder how that might further affect development?

-FBB

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join