It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Scientists Flood Grand Canyon to Restore Beaches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
In a move to help repair ecological damage done to the Grand Canyon by a man made dam, Scientists opened the flood gates on that very dam today. The move is expected to help restore beaches, save fish and plants which have been dissappearing. The water will continue to flow from the dam into the canyon for up to 90 hours.

ABCNEWS.com Full Article

GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, Ariz. Nov 21, 2004 Scientists flooded the Grand Canyon on Sunday to restore beaches and save fish and plants that have been disappearing since sediment-free water began flowing from a man-made dam 40 years ago.

A torrent of gushing water raced down the Colorado River and into the canyon, carrying badly needed natural sediment with it, as four giant steel tubes at the base of Glen Canyon dam were opened.

"The sediment, sand, mud and silt play an important role in the ecosystem," said Chip Groat, director for the U.S. Geological Survey.

An estimated 800,000 metric tons of sediment were expected to be stirred up during the 90-hour run.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In the very dry part of this country water is quite valuable. It seems that some are starting to see the effects of having a man made dam blocking the flow of water into the Grand Canyon for some 40 years now.

Is it too little too late?

Tomorrow as waters in the canyon swell to their highest scientists will begin a 4 day trip into the canyon to study the immediate effects of the flooding.

Can we now bring the Grand Canyon back to life?

[edit on 21-11-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Its nice to see that ome of our environment is still being taken care of. Its just a shame that it has to be when the environment is at its dying point before poeple see what is going on.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Seems to me thats the sudden deluge of water will probably do more damage than good.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
The initial deluge will cause erosion damage, but the runoff that is being diverted has sedimentary deposites. Once this sediment settles, all will be back to normal.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
its normal for a river to experiance this kind of thing. Flash floods...heavey rains ect. Prior to the building of Lake Powell the Grand Canyon had this happen alot. Once the BIG DAM was built, it changed the enviroment of the Grand Canyon drasticly.......it effected not only the beaches, but the wildlife.

For a few years now they have been opening the gates and flooding downstream, MUCH to the pleasure of extreme whitewater enthusiests(SP?)

This is a GOOD thing that they do..........!!

Sure its a little late, but they should NEVER have built Lake Powell to begin with.All the ancient ruins they covered under the water can NEVER be replaced...."sigh"............
I am glad they have realised how much good can be done by PRETNDING its a flash flood, in beach restoration. If the beaches are just the same with no sand redeployment, bushes take root and then the beach becomes a vast tamerisk jungle.(tamerisk bushes are NOT natural to the area anyway, ANOTHER big BOOBOO).....so no beach.
Beaches are needed for the mountain goats and deer to reach the prescious water. Beaches are needed for the whitewater rafters, ME included.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Weather you like the dam being built or not we should all note that what it does is importand. It is watter storage in the dry times, and flood relief in the wet times. It does help with the survival of the human race. So with flood of the canyon being done, I do hope the watter will be used down streem

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 05:43 AM
link   
i think we should teraform a lot of the uninhabital places in the world and do some actual good and then maybe even mars better to spead life than take it

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Klain,
I doubt a better word has ever been spoken on hear on ATS. More power to you and your words Klain.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
why not throw a conspiracy in the mix and say that the dam is starting to fail under the enormous pressure and that this is in reality a "stress release" test.

Lets pile on more conspiracy and say that they have a credible threat that someone is going to drop a bomb into the back side of the dam thereby overpressurizing the already "failing" dam weak point, causing a massive catastrophic failure.

Or the "scientists" wanted to get paid for a 4 day "experiment" white water rafting on the colorado river and what better way then to ensure they have a fresh deluge of running water to raft on.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Roberfenix,
Well as the fates would have it your fist pice of scarisem is true, if I rember corectly. The cliffs the dam was built into is letting some watter seep through. Hear that 4 or 5 years ago.
And as to the scitentists just wanting a paid rafting trip, well that would not really suprise me any if that turned out to be the reason.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
One thing they may be trying to accomplish is all about silt. This could be a conspiracy in that they say they are trying to help the canyon ecology by sending in a deluge from time to time. However I have been to both the Glen Canyon and the Hoover/Boulder Dam and they both note in the visitors centers that accumulating silt behind the dam would eventually back up everything, making the dam into one expensive waterfalls. I believe what they are trying to do is downplay the importance of removing this silt before it becomes a major problem.

new topics

top topics

join