It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyberwarfare Research Project: Survey and Discussion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
First of all, mods if this thread is not in the appropriate place please move it.

I am currently working on a research project about the ethics of Cyberwarfare, and as part of the research I am required to conduct a survey of peoples awareness and opinions on the subject. The main purpose of this thread is to open up a general discussion on Cyberwarfare, and see where it takes us. I am sure the members here will have some interesting insights to share.

If you would like to help by completing this quick survey it would be greatly appreciated, you can find it here: www.surveymonkey.com...

Thanks for your help and please feel free to ask anything

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TetsuoIronMan

I took it, you're welcome.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TetsuoIronMan

Thats two of us that fed your monkey......
I think Cyberwar is a great deal more complicated than simply being relegated to infrastructure.....
What if the very softwares we design things with are slightly tainted.....the information stream altered subtly....
All kinds of opportunities open up in Cyberspace we dont get in the real world.....
small changes to basic parameters of already worked out solution methods may give bizarre results over time.....

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Thanks for replying you guys. Some interesting responses coming through on the survey; US government popping up a few times as the greatest threat to the US. Not surprising really though..
Stirling you have a point there about it not being so simple, and I do see where you are coming from, but from what I understand infrastructure would still be the biggest target for cyber attacks. But I guess cyberwarfare is an incredibly broad term seeing as the words 'cyber' and 'warfare' themselves dont exactly have concrete definitions.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I would just like to say thanks to everyone that took part in the survey, the results were quite interesting and it was very useful for my college assignment.
The survey is now closed, and for anyone who is interested here are some of the results.
Out of just 7 respondents, 3 said they resided in the US, 2 in the UK, 1 in Canada and 1 in Australia. One of the questions asked was 'Which of the following would you consider to be the greatest threat to your country', perhaps unsurprisingly among ATS users these two answers; 'Federal government of the US' & 'Canadian government' combined were considered a greater threat, among the majority of users, than Cyberwarfare, climate change, Iran and North Korea.
All respondents were unanimous in their responses that there should be some boundaries put in place within international law to define how a cyber war can and cannot be waged.
Only one respondent said that their country should not publicly claim responsibility for a cyber-attack, and only one respondent was not in favour of an international ban on development and use of cyberweapons.

My personal thoughts are that there should be some kind of international ban on cyberweapons, or at least restrictions or sanctions put in place to prevent their misuse.

top topics

join