It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Columbia Mall in Lockdown; Active Shooter on the Scene

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

WASHINGTON (CBSCD) - Howard County Fire officials have confirmed Columbia Mall is in lockdown with an active shooter on the scene.

Security officials tell WNEW they are asking customers to remain inside the stores they’re currently in.

Columbia Mall in Lockdown; Active Shooter on the Scene

Just saw this on Twitter, but had to Google to get a link.

No real information as of yet, other than an active shooter and the mall is on lockdown.

Additional info:

WASHINGTON - Howard County Fire and Rescue say that there is an active shooter in the Columbia Mall.

Spokeswoman Denise Weist says the department received the call at about 11:15 a.m. Saturday.

Police and fire are on the scene. There are no reports of injuries yet.

We'll have more as we get it.

Link

UPDATE

More From CNN

There was no word on injuries but local scanner reports had authorities requesting multiple mass casualty units.

Images on Twitter reportedly from the scene showed mall employees hiding in a stock room.

edit on 25-1-2014 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It's terrible that there are some who cause the normal responsible gun owner to be considered a threat to society. How can this kind of people who do these things be controlled so they don't do this kind of stuff? It is not the guns in the hands of good people that cause this, it is a loose cannon owning a gun that is the problem.

S&F for bringing this to us.
edit on 25-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
But Maryland just got done activating a whole slew of civilian disarmament laws this year?

You mean, they don't work?

Shocked, I tell ya. Shocked.
edit on 25-1-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

rickymouse
It's terrible that there are some who cause the normal responsible gun owner to be considered a threat to society. How can this kind of people who do these things be controlled so they don't do this kind of stuff? It is not the guns in the hands of good people that cause this, it is a loose cannon owning a gun that is the problem.

S&F for bringing this to us.

who cares anymore, it's happening all the time, nothing is done....so, just be careful out there, and hope that you don't get caught in any crossfire, because it will continue to happen.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

thisguyrighthere
But Maryland just got done activating a whole slew of civilian disarmament laws this year?

You mean, they don't work?

Shocked, I tell ya. Shocked.
edit on 25-1-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

Unfortunate that there wont be a normal joe or jane citizen with the training and equipment ( IE scary horrible firearm) in the mall to take the shooter down while the cops/swat/etc are standing outside at a safe distance. When you take the guns away from the law abiding, only the loons and criminals have guns. Brilliant.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Yeah, we don't go to movies and malls anymore. I am not afraid of dying. I don't want to end up in the hospital.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

These mass shootings are really beginning to be a monthly thing. I don't know how society can stop this from happening. You can't blame responsible gun owners for people who use their guns to satisfy their anger problems or are just mentally deranged. This is a problem that I don't think is going to go away anytime soon.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
With all respects and sympathy to victims; keep an eye out for inconsistint information and propaganda. They won't let a tragedy go to waste..

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

If I had a concealed weapons permit and was in a mall when this happened, I would try to take out the shooter. I would probably be put in jail for taking the law into my own hands though. I am glad around here we have a lot of guys with these permits that are sensible and packing, they would do the same thing I would do.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Howard County Police
@HCPDNews
Three people confirmed dead at Columbia Mall. Victims unknown at this time.

Officals saying 2 civilians deceased and the shooter deceased aswell. Multiple other patients are being treated for other injuries.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

In most places, you would not get charged for taking down an active shooter. You are allowed to protect yourself and others.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

_BoneZ_

In most places, you would not get charged for taking down an active shooter. You are allowed to protect yourself and others.

....And some of us would do it even if we faced becoming a "criminal" by protecting innocent lives.

I think there is something we are missing in these shootings lately... or purposely ignoring or purposely not considering. There has to be some common thread between the majority of shooters like this. The need and compulsion to take innocent lives while in a instant gratification tantrum is what I think it is. A total break down of social barriers and any concept of consequences and the feeling that there is no sanctity of life. I think our society and our people are terminally ill with this. The gun is easy to blame it on.. makes people feel they arent culpable in this break down and illness. Get rid of guns and you still havent cured the illness. It will still happen. People will still be sick.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Three people are dead following a shooting at a Maryland mall, Howard County police said.

"Three people confirmed dead at Columbia Mall. Victims unknown at this time," the department tweeted.

www.usatoday.com...
Story is developing will know more information as it comes in... Stay tuned:

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

WeRpeons

These mass shootings are really beginning to be a monthly thing. I don't know how society can stop this from happening. You can't blame responsible gun owners for people who use their guns to satisfy their anger problems or are just mentally deranged.

Monthly? It seems to happen daily for a while, then there's nothing reported, then it's back to daily or weekly incidents again.
They keep pumping the kids full of antidepressants, and so many adults are stressed to the max (economy, jobs, obamacare, NSA spying, etc).....

People are losing it

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
This is insane!!! I was just here with my kids last night!!! We were supposed to go today to get my son some shoes but we decided to go last night instead. I am in shock. This is a not a high crime rate area at all. I am still in shock...this is also the same state that made it impossible to buy a hand gun also..they denied my request based on an arrest in california years ago when I was arrested on false charges...all charges were dropped and I never even went to trial...but because of that, I cannot purchase a handgun in the state of Maryland...good job Maryland...way to stop crime. Unreal!
edit on 25-1-2014 by kleverone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

WeRpeons

These mass shootings are really beginning to be a monthly thing. I don't know how society can stop this from happening. You can't blame responsible gun owners for people who use their guns to satisfy their anger problems or are just mentally deranged. This is a problem that I don't think is going to go away anytime soon.

Someone in the other thread tried to say this was not a MASS shooting.. YES IT IS mass means plural more than one.

One person murdered is a homicide, two person killed is a double homicide, three people killed is a massacre.
Plus we do not know how many more people are injured or if there are more people dead yet.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I would try to take out the shooter.

And the "try" is the danger in having "on the street people" trying to take down a shooter, if you miss, there is a risk that you instead will hit and injure or killing an innocent person.

And that makes you a shooter to, even though you tried to do some good.

I don't pray, but a thought has been sendt to the victims.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Such a sad situation.

All these arguments that these nutjobs are just targeting places where there are strict gun laws is bull crap. These cowards are targeting places where they know it will be crowded where they will be able to inflict the maximum amount of damage. They don't give a damn if someone there is armed because they are prepared to die.

The problem goes beyond stupid politics and gun rights, our society is slowly rotting away.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

True. People have always had guns but when I was growing up we didn't have all these random shootings all the time. People are losing it.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Mianeye

I would try to take out the shooter.

And the "try" is the danger in having "on the street people" trying to take down a shooter, if you miss, there is a risk that you instead will hit and injure or killing an innocent person.

And that makes you a shooter to, even though you tried to do some good.

I don't pray, but a thought has been sendt to the victims.

I guess you have never taken a firearms safety course then, huh? Assessing the situation means knowing not only what you are aiming at, but what is also BEHIND the target at ALL times (even on the firing range). If there is any danger to anyone beyond the target, you do not even have your finger on the trigger, let alone fire.

But, that is something that trained folks supposed to already know AND practice. Those that do not, are not qualified to carry a firearm IMO.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join