It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Language Shift/Switch/Change in a Book

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Somehow, the Paranormal Forum seems wrong for this thread. I'm not a touchy person when it comes to things being 'fixed' so please feel free to alert a Mod and have this placed in the appropriate forum.

So, me and the wife are out shopping this p.m. She's rummaging around in the book section looking at cook books and I'm trailing along in tow like a good husband. She's got a book of French cuisine in her hands and laughingly points out that the text is all in French. She showed it to me and asked how your average American could make any use of it. We laughed as she closed the book and replaced it on the shelf. I pointed out that that was probably why it was the only book of that title on the shelf.

Now, next to it, were two other regional recipe tomes. I figured they were part of a series and I lifted one on Asian cuisine curious as to what language it would be written in. English. I showed the wife.

So we pulled the French cuisine book to see if there were some parts that were English as well (she had only flipped through a couple of pages). Yep. Everything's in English (we couldn't thumb through and re-locate the French language recipes). We laughed again and added the book to our cart.

Now I've got the book at home. I've turned every page and scanned every paragraph. No French ... none ... anywhere.

I know you might think I picked up the wrong book, but I didn't. There were maybe nine linear inches of books there. I personally replaced the book on the shelf and pulled the other one not more than an inch away from the French one. We didn't move. No one was shopping around us. I put the Asian book right back where it was and moved my fingers less than two inches when retrieving the French book again. I didn't grab a 'different' book that 'looked' the same.

Wife's kind'a freaked out. She's the superstitious one. She's since looked through it with the same results I had. Anyway, we're having French Onion soup tonight. Figured I'd share this while it was still fresh in my mind.
edit on 2512014 by Snarl because: Title

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Have you had any experience with the french language before? Maybe you were expecting it to be written in french so ur mind showed you french???? The mind is very strange indeed.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Lompyt

Have you had any experience with the french language before? Maybe you were expecting it to be written in french so ur mind showed you french???? The mind is very strange indeed.

Minimal. I can recognize it, but have no useful control. I didn't know I was looking at a French cookbook when my wife held it out and she didn't say, "Look. It's all in French." until after I had seen the text for what it was.

Further, I was fully expecting to find it while I was turning the pages of the book at home.

One of those things I'm sure will never be explained. Just thought it might interest the readership here.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

You MUST have picked the wrong book up and being ATS minded attribute it to spooky stuff. Solved.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

LOL ... that's what I might've concluded from your side of the screen as well. Touché, brother!!

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Numerous things like this has happened to me, too many to discount.
Sometimes there's explanations, sometimes there are no conceivable logical answer, except something supernatural or paranormal.

Through the lense of a mystic, a shaman, an occultist or what have you, some of these experiences make sense.

The paranormal and spiritual have been thoroughly investigated for thousands of years by every society known to man, now, since the subject is metaphysical - seemingly beyond the capabilities of our traditional senses to perceive, and in many ways very subjective there's bound to be different views on practically every subject, but I know from experience that the truth really is out there.
The seeker will find. Ask and ye shall receive.

I would call this type of phenomenon a 'reality glitch'.

in2worlds.net...

This website by an experiencer she goes into these types of experiences a lot, she's had all kinds of weird things happen to her, maybe it could be of interest to you.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I have several bookshelves full of reference material and can access book and page number when I want to recall some information. I've had a few incidents when I retrieved a book I knew contained information I needed at the moment only to find it was no longer in the book. Thinking I must be getting old and forgetful, I've looked through several other books and even re-read entire sections of my library to find the missing information, only to discover that the sought after information is simply gone. One can waste a LOT of time trying to solve these types of mysteries (and I have) so best to just shrug and go on with your life.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Well, thanks for sharing that. I've lost a lot of retention and I know that. I don't know how I'd feel if I knew something was in a book I had read ... only to find it's not there anymore. My wife and I are still wondering what we were looking at in the store. Part of the reason I put this thread up was so I would have a marker for the event, time stamped and whatnot.

-Cheers

new topics

top topics

join