It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else feel like an A hole after killing a bug?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

hahaha. This reminds me of a conversation I had with my husband who does not share my faith.

In my religion you cannot kill many bugs. You cannot kill spiders for 1 (they are good) but you can kill a cockroach (they are nasty things which spread disease)

So one evening my new husband and I were speaking, and he is a bug killer without remorse, to which I replied that we must revisit this thinking of his and would he like a list of bugs he is not allowed to kill?

Of course, the bug killers do not want a list of bugs they cannot kill... hahaha It was an interesting convo!

But I can understand having much remorse in the killing of a bug.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Iam the same but with snails and slugs, I hate standing on them and when I do I always say "sorry" to their god slow bob.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Nope.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

CranialSponge

Nope.

Burn crickets and grasshoppers with magnifying glass when you were a kid?

I did for a bit but soon regretted it. Hit a blue jay smack in the chest with a rock as a young kid and that shook me up pretty bad. After that, that was it with premeditated senseless slaughter.
I did hunt leagally with my dad as a youth, shooting many grouse. Which we ate. I no longer hunt, but love fly fishing and will keep the odd mess of sea trout when I want supper.

I would like to start hunting again with traditional long bow. Hitting a grouse on the wing would be the dream goal. So I think the quarry is safe for a while. But I feed the birds, and give the frogs a place to thrive in a small pond so I'm giving back.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
If I kill things just because they are small, weak, and repugnant to me, what sort of person does that make me? That's why I exercise my ability to protect them. I have the choice to carelessly distribute death or actively maintain life. That's what determines who I am.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sparrowstail

Burn crickets and grasshoppers with magnifying glass when you were a kid?

Nope.

I've never been an evil sadistic hater of living things.

Nor do I go out of my way to kill one. Only when they decide to invade my privacy whilst I'm using the little girl's room or about to take a bite of my hamburger and one decides he wants to share it uninvited.

I just don't feel guilty when I squish a bug that's invaded my space.... I know there's 600,000,000,000 many more were that one came from. So no feelings of being an asshat for thinking I'm endangering a species or anything. Those little buggers far outnumber us by a long shot. We'll be long gone and buried before they ever will be.

FYI: There's an estimated 925,000 named different types of species of insects in the world thus far, out of a probable 5 million species in existence. You don't need to be a mathematician to figure out that there's at least a gazillion little creepy crawlies walking across your forehead at night while your sawing logs dreaming about skydiving with Sean Connery...

So in my mind when the SHTF, it'll be the damn bugs that take over the world. I'm just doing us all a favor by taking 'em out one at a time.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Morning,

I struck a treaty with the bugs.
We adhere to a strict Mi casa est Mi casa situation.
If either party is caught in breach of the treaty, the "offender" can be immediately put to death with extreme prejudice.
We have a "mutual enemies" clause just in case there is a tarantula invasion from Argentina or a Wolf Spider takes up residence nearby. In those situations, the agreement states that my obligation is to kill the spider but they have to get rid of the bodies outside of the disputed territory.
The uneasy peace has lasted for 44 years now. It's been tenuous and fraught with peril but it can work if both groups are committed to change.

-Peace-
edit on 25-1-2014 by Eryiedes because: ETA

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Never thought about it but nope.. I dont typically kill things.Reverence for all things living? Nope.. just dont see the point in killing things for no reason and not much scares or startles me. Hell, I breed tarantulas and some other arachnids when requisitioned. Ive been bitten a few times.. never killed one for it. On our businesses site board I run a 24 hour arachnid/tarantula "911" line and tell people how to "fix" or "ICU" their tarantula when its injured, dying, whatever. You spend 200 bucks on a Gooty and you kinda want to keep him or especially her alive! LOL!

I dnt know why people are scared of spiders. Theyre amazing, VERY easy to get along with.. you can damned near read their mind after you get to know their behaviors.. and they actually are "good" critters. There are all sorts of "good" critters/insects that folks kill... when they really shouldnt. Get to really know a spider.. you wont fear them anymore.. just dont get all anthromorphic with them and youll find they are simply fascinating!

Just remember.. insects are the key to the longevity of our species. When they die out and disappear.. so do we.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

The way I see it, the only creepy crawlies that I personally allow into my home, are spiders. Flies that vomit on your food, and gnats that bite and draw your blood, not to mention spreading blood infections, and the like however, can all die in a fire if they try coming into my home.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join