It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASAView Alternative to view and zoom JPL .IMG data

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzDengue

That's it, thanks.

I had seen that but I forgot about it.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I stopped trying to make my own version and tried to compile the program in Windows, by using Cygwin.

I tried it in Windows 8.1, 7 and XP, and apparently it works.

You can download it here.

PS: with this program I could see that there are some images with lossless compression, but they are close to 1 MB, while the JPEG images are usually less than 500 kB.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
ArMaP -

There's an alternative, ISIS, the program the USGS and NASA use to work with the images. It's free but runs only in Unix-like systems like Linux or Apple's OS X.

Most modern computers will boot from a memory stick, so why not install Puppy Linux on a memory stick and then use ISIS?
Puppy has its own environment like a live CD does, it is a standalone system running as root, but it uses files to store the data from last session (if you want to store it). You can connect to other network places from it of course.

This way you could have a 16Gb memory stick with Puppy on it, boot from that, running ISIS and store all the data, label, & img files in another partition on the memory stick. It would not impact your Windows machine/data at all, yet you can copy processed files to the Windows disk from there if you need to. There are various 'flavours' of Puppy Linux if you have a preference for Debian package management for example, but the bog standard one is still pretty good.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

qmantoo
Most modern computers will boot from a memory stick, so why not install Puppy Linux on a memory stick and then use ISIS?

It may work, I have only used ISIS with Ubuntu and CentOS.

Puppy has its own environment like a live CD does, it is a standalone system running as root, but it uses files to store the data from last session (if you want to store it). You can connect to other network places from it of course.

I used ISIS on a virtual machine with most of the data files in a shared folder in my computer, I just used that folder in the virtual machine as if it was a network share, so it was very similar method to what you describe.

This way you could have a 16Gb memory stick with Puppy on it, boot from that, running ISIS and store all the data, label, & img files in another partition on the memory stick.

The only problem I see with that is the size of the memory stick, I don't remember how much disk space the ISIS base files need. I will have a look.

Edited to add that my CentOS virtual machine with ISIS installed is using 10.7 GB from a 16 GB virtual disk, so a 16 GB memory stick will do.

edit on 17/2/2014 by ArMaP because: ^^^^^

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

It wouldn't load... is it command line?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by BuzzDengue

Yes, it's a command line program, exactly as the description, I only compiled it with Cygwin to make it usable in Windows.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join