It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff Arpaio Puts 38 Inmates on Bread and Water

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

violet

WilsonWilson
reply to post by violet

Bread and water was not to force people to contemplate their crimes, is was a form of torture. It wasn't about decreased rations,it was a deliberate tool to give prisoners excruciating pain. The digestive tract can't deal with it causing extreme abdominal pain.

Well that's what I meant. Make conditions so horrible they will contemplate their crimes.
I think I said that was in the Victorian era, when contemplating might have worked. There was no tvs etc in jail back then. Nowadays it isn't the worst place to be.

edit on 7-2-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

In practice making conditions extremely harsh doesn't actually reduce crime... those who commit crimes rationalize them they think it's ok to do what they're doing in most circumstances. As a result, they don't cease doing what they view as right because of jail time. Many think they can rationalize it to a judge, many more plan to avoid being caught. What does end up happening in reality however is that harsher prisons tend to make crimes worse. If it's a place someone really doesn't want to go, they will go down swinging, that means killing witnesses, killing cops, not stopping at a lesser crime because they're already too deep, and so on.

The countries that focus on teaching job skills while incarcerated, and treating the person like an actual human being and member of society have a much better rehabilitation rate. In the US we have one of the worst rates of recidivism in the world, and as we have made prison conditions harsher (at this point we use them for slave labor, and torture those who don't work) that rate has gone up.

Prisons like Arpaio's have been shown in the real world to make crime problems worse... not better.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

I dont agree at all, there is a difference between locking somebody up for their crimes, and deliberately physically torturing them while they are locked up.

I dont even know how your logic got you to the point to say, i's ok to physically torture prisoners because we lock them up for their crimes.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

You dont contemplate crimes while you are being tortured. It's kinda sick that some people think it's ok to lock people up and torture them, might explain a lot of the [problems in sopciety though.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by WilsonWilson

I agree, torture isn't a deterrent to crime, but a means of information extraction.

Locking a person up was a way for them to come to terms with their crime.

Torture while being locked up really Fs up a mind, not correct it.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Temporarily limiting a persons diet to bread and water is not torture IMO. It is a punishment. You have to punish prisoners that break the rules in some way...do you think they would chose solitary confinement or loss of exercise time (both of which one could define as torture by the standards set in this thread) over a few bland meals?
edit on 2/10/2014 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I cant stand that guy because of his profiling, but he knows how to run a prison.

Its not supposed to be fun. They need to have manditory programes in place that every inmate has to pass to be let out.

No tv, no special foods until they earn it. You pass one class, on how to behave, and conduct yourself, you get a tv (a small one).

You pass a class on how to be a functioning member of society, and pick up a trade skill, you get to shop at the commissary.

Those have to be earned, and they must follow the rules. If they dont they get isolation until they do.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

ChuckNasty
reply to post by WilsonWilson

I agree, torture isn't a deterrent to crime, but a means of information extraction.

Locking a person up was a way for them to come to terms with their crime.

Torture while being locked up really Fs up a mind, not correct it.

Torture is not a effective way to extract accurate information. Let me torture you and I will have you confessing to crimes you never committed.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join