It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff Arpaio Puts 38 Inmates on Bread and Water

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

No.. I'm absolutely not joking and personally, don't find anything funny about the illegal immigration issue...on any level.

That comes from this report from Homeland Security:

Estimates of the Unauthorized Immigrant Population Residing in the United States: January 2011

The nature of the problem and the particular segment of the population most directly representing the issue isn't subjective opinion but objective fact on numbers by arrest and processing of those caught in border states and beyond. OTM's or "Other Than Mexican" as some official designations have it for statistical use, comprise a measurable but small portion and particularly so in the Southwest U.S.. When you're looking for illegals near the Mexican border ....it's called common sense to look for those who look suspicious and generally fit what is known to make up the population in question.

Would you also support him if he said that he was going to start harassing blacks every time a crime is committed because the blacks make up a good portion of the prison population?

harassing any black man, as a question in total isolation of any examples? No.. Of course not. You pose that in a way no one can possibly agree with. Now, if, on the other hand....His deputies are in a known high crime area that happens to be predominately black for demographics ..and there is move on to find a suspect? Yes... I'd fully expect him to look for those matching the description or, by statistical and every day normal facts of the area, most likely to have been involved.

To put it another way ....when a robbery happens deep in Chinatown, you don't go looking for Russians to roust and ask questions. Profiling isn't a dirty word when the circumstances define the problem as being among specific groups in a given region.

......or to really get technical here, where I am is single digit % for any one minority and combined, they total a very very small number...i.e... Most folks here are white. So, if a robbery happens and I hear the cops are out looking for Hispanics here? Well..I'd better hear there was a description to support that or I'd wonder what kind of racist idiots we have around here..ignoring the most likely segment the robber came from in population. Here..that would be white for that crime and the obvious Go-To group, for lack of better detail. It's not racist..it's sensible police work.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by azdaze

Read your first sentence. The fact is that the average person probably couldn't even name the sheriff of their own county, let alone any other counties. Yet Sheriff Joe is known worldwide, and only for the bad things.

Yes he is known world wide....and no small part of that comes from the fact he's universally hated with a severe passion by anyone who is supporting amnesty or lesser avenues of making criminal immigrants "legal" by stroke of a pen or legislative action. He's the pure nemesis to those folks. The media, in NO small part, comprise and play to that group.

Very simply, if Sheriff Joe passes gas in a rude and obnoxious way, someone will run that as a story and may well be picked up as how rude and obnoxious that horrible Sheriff Joe has become.

He's absolutely made a good number of his own problems ..and focus outside his Jurisdiction on matters far from Maricopa county is no small example of that...but he's also got an Anti-Fan club who insures nothing he does wrong will ever go unreported in detail. That factors in for any objective look at coverage and the man himself, IMO.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Hey Buster
I dont know if Illinois is "Northern" enough to be in your Northern states, it is to me as I am originally from Louisiana! Here in Illinois we have entire towns that are wholly Mexican/Hispanic. He have had significant "illegal" problems in several areas with the illegal activities and raids on businesses that are working the illegals. One of our local processing plants had hidden rooms in the ceiling so when they were raided, people went in there. Let me clarify that these are small towns and small cities in the middle part of Illnois.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

buster2010

HomerinNC

AlphaHawk
reply to post by mwood

Indeed, that's why a federal judge found his jails violating inmates constitutional rights.

Well then, dont get arrested in his county. End of story.

You can get arrested in his county simply for being the wrong race.

It's funny to see how many people in this thread that cries Obama it tearing up the constitution but supports Joe who does nothing more than spit on the constitution. With all the rights he violates and the over 40 million dollars he has cost the county in lawsuits his ass should be in jail living on bread and water.

You don't go to jail in Arizona for being the "wrong race" and I will assume you refer to Latino's.

You go to jail in Arizona for being in this country ILLEGALLY. That is still a crime in this country.

There are hundreds of thousands or millions of Mexicans in Arizona who are here legally and do NOT go to jail.

It's so terrible when you sneak into another country where your not supposed to be, get caught then if you desecrate the building you have to eat bread and water....till they send you back home again at this countries expense.

Try sneaking into other countries and see what the punishment is. Many you would spend you life in prison or just be executed.

(post by mwood removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Buster, what is your stance on immigration enforcement? I'm curious. Do you think the Federal Govt is doing enough? Do you think the States are doing too much? Should we even try to enforce our Immigration policies at all?

The electorate where Sheriff Joe is have elected him numerous times, that should be evidence that they approve of his actions.

Personally I don't think prison should be a even tolerable situation, it should be made to be as bad as possible for those incarcerated. They should totally dread having to serve time, obviously our efforts at rehabilitation haven't worked very well as we keep locking up more and more people. Since 1980 the Prison population has grow from 500,000 to just under 2.5 Million. There is also a corresponding increase in % of the Total American population incarcerated. I don't have the answers for all of this, but making prisons more tolerable for inmates certainly doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

I dont have to live there to disagree. There are tons of people who are harrassed by police for being Mexican when they are legal. I have a friend there who is half Mexican.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

"Desecrate" shows enough of how you think.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

If sheriff Arpaio stands for any one thing it is the old legal concept "Guilty until proven innocent".

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by azdaze

I'm not sure... Which decisions and rulings to which situations? I'm not going to agree or disagree without knowing what it was about.

That's really one of the fundamental differences between people these days. One segment looks at what law or authority did wrong or must have done wrong, because...they all do wrong or something, and demands others prove otherwise.

Another segment, which I far more closely identify with, do not assume cops, sheriffs or other authority did wrong or is wrong by sheer nature of what they do for a living.

I've read Arpaio's books and found them very interesting to the background, history and thinking of the man. I happen to agree very strongly with his overall philosophy and really mean he'd be welcome in Southern Missouri in most communities I'd be aware of. That's not a knee jerk thing to say, just to be different. I honestly happen to agree with him, and so does a majority electing him each time ...as he's been serving quite a few consecutive elected terms now.

* For the record... I don't care for his side trips and flights of fancy into things far far outside his Maricopa county jurisdiction. I believe he's made a half way decent Sheriff though and we are all entitled to our opinions.

"That's really one of the fundamental differences between people these days. One segment looks at what law or authority did wrong or must have done wrong, because...they all do wrong or something, and demands others prove otherwise.

Another segment, which I far more closely identify with, do not assume cops, sheriffs or other authority did wrong or is wrong by sheer nature of what they do for a living."

The above comment you wrote pretty much sums it all up. That's one of the best and most simplistic arguments anybody can make for the disparity in how cops, sheriffs, and law enforcement is viewed. Well put.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
All the prisons started off what would be considered inhumane today. There was no sanitation. Bread and water. It's intent was to make the incarcerated contemplate their crimes.

He's using Victorian times punishment tactics. Might work, but it shouldn't be over desecration of a flag. If he likes flags, fine, but don't force your beliefs on others.
edit on 26-1-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I have a huge problem when people use their authority to abuse others, Arpaio is at the top of that list. Doubly so since his methods are the polar opposite of what has actually been proven effective.

I am honestly surprised one of his former inmates has not taken him out yet, if I spent time in one of his jails it be the only thing on my mind when I got out.

Sic semper tyrannis.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Lets compare our beloved Joe's methods with the hated Maduro's methods in Venezuela.

Prison Conditions (in Venezuela)

13. HRW rightly points out the ongoing problems of overcrowding and organised prisoner violence in prisons, but simply omits to mention anything the government is doing to improve prisoner rights, including letting those who have committed minor offences out during the day time to work or study, internal prison education and productive work programs, assistance on leaving prison, cultural workshops such as video production in prisons, and government meetings with prisoners.

www.globalresearch.ca...

Not going to find anything like that in Tent City or Joe's downtown prison, just loud piped in patriotic music, green bologna, bread and water. You've been lied to about many things. This is but one.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

pavil

Buster, what is your stance on immigration enforcement? I'm curious. Do you think the Federal Govt is doing enough? Do you think the States are doing too much? Should we even try to enforce our Immigration policies at all?

The electorate where Sheriff Joe is have elected him numerous times, that should be evidence that they approve of his actions.

Personally I don't think prison should be a even tolerable situation, it should be made to be as bad as possible for those incarcerated. They should totally dread having to serve time, obviously our efforts at rehabilitation haven't worked very well as we keep locking up more and more people. Since 1980 the Prison population has grow from 500,000 to just under 2.5 Million. There is also a corresponding increase in % of the Total American population incarcerated. I don't have the answers for all of this, but making prisons more tolerable for inmates certainly doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I am all for enforcement of the law just not the racist way the Joe does it. In his eyes if you are Hispanic then you are illegal until you prove otherwise which is illegal because can't just stop and demand papers from someone just because they are another race.
If you read some comments from the locals it the snowbirds the keep reelecting him and they want the election date moved so the snowbirds won't be voting him in.
The reason why our prison population is going up is because they have made that a for profit industry.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Diminished Rations punishment is served upon US Military people* for Non-Judicial Punishment....

...don't see anything wrong with this guy doing the same for inmates.

I hope he enforces Fatigue punishment for inmates. Allowing only 4 hours sleep per 24 hour period...just like our armed forces.

*(minus USAF - still 8 consecutive hrs (for sleep) per 16hrs of work and no diminished rations EVER! Fatigue punishment is against AF AFI's...)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Joe doing this is the same as in a television show where someone puts a wallet on a bench to see what people will do with it. Some try to find the owner, and some take the cash and toss it behind the bench.

Joe is actually doing the inmates a great service
by first detecting what path they might choose after jail. If they abuse the flag then it is a good indicator that when they get out of jail, they will reoffend again because they can't even respect the flag, or any authority at all.

What old Joe is doing is like rubbing a puppy's nose in his own mess to teach it to better understand why doing things that way is wrong and bad, and eventually some will finally learn how to better live more civilized..

I understand though that not all of those inmates committed some really bad thing, but the ones that are most likely to abuse that flag did a lot more to get in there than someone that got caught selling pot or whatever.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It's not his department to decide who is innocent or undeserving of being in his jail. Once there all prisoners (or more politically correct "in-mates") are expected to follow the rules. And it usually is "My house, my rules."

One poster asked why none of his former prisoners has tried to kill him, my guess is that they really really really don't want to go back to jail!

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

Bread and water was not to force people to contemplate their crimes, is was a form of torture. It wasn't about decreased rations,it was a deliberate tool to give prisoners excruciating pain. The digestive tract can't deal with it causing extreme abdominal pain.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by WilsonWilson

News flash - being locked up does not force people to contemplate their crimes.

We all wish prison was a place that people looked within themselves and saw the error of their ways...but that usually only happens after most of a lifetime was spent behind bars. By middle to old age most "bad" people would've come to that conclusion if they were in jail or not.

By your rationale people should not be locked up as it is a form of torture. It is a deliberate tool to give prisoners excruciating mental pain. The brain can't deal with extreme mental pain and stress.

edit on 2/4/2014 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   

WilsonWilson
reply to post by violet

Bread and water was not to force people to contemplate their crimes, is was a form of torture. It wasn't about decreased rations,it was a deliberate tool to give prisoners excruciating pain. The digestive tract can't deal with it causing extreme abdominal pain.

Well that's what I meant. Make conditions so horrible they will contemplate their crimes.
I think I said that was in the Victorian era, when contemplating might have worked. There was no tvs etc in jail back then. Nowadays it isn't the worst place to be.

edit on 7-2-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join