It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff Arpaio Puts 38 Inmates on Bread and Water

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Indeed, that's why a federal judge found his jails violating inmates constitutional rights.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

AlphaHawk
reply to post by mwood

Indeed, that's why a federal judge found his jails violating inmates constitutional rights.

Well then, dont get arrested in his county. End of story.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Don't get raped either...

During a three-year period ending in 2007, more than 400 sex-crimes reported to Arpaio's office were inadequately investigated, or not investigated at all. While providing police services for El Mirage, Arizona, the MCSO under Arpaio failed to follow-through on at least 32 reported child molestations, even though the suspects were known in all but six cases. Many of the victims were children of illegal immigrants.

Among the victims that were ignored by Arpaio and the MCSO is Sabrina Morrison, a teenage girl suffering from a mental disability. On March 7, 2007, when she was 13 years old, she was raped by her uncle, Patrick Morrison. She told her teacher the next day, and her teacher called the MCSO. A rape kit was taken. But, the detective assigned to the case told Sabrina and her family that there were no obvious signs of sexual assault, no semen, or signs of trauma.

As a result of the detective's statements, Sabrina was branded by her family as a liar. Her uncle continued to repeatedly rape her, saying he would kill her if she told anyone. She became pregnant from him, and had an abortion. The family did not know that the rape kit had been tested at the state lab, and showed the presence of semen. The lab requested that the detective obtain a blood sample from the suspect, Patrick Morrison.

en.wikipedia.org...

End of story, eh?

edit on 25-1-2014 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Blame the politicians who write the laws and set the sentence guidelines. The Sheriffs who run the jails have nothing to do with that side of it, and I keep them separate for blame where it's due in this situation, at least as I view it.

BUL#!!!!!!!!

The sheriff and the cops are the ones who ENFORCE those laws. So, YES, I BLAME THEM. And people like you who say stupid remarks like that.

Like at Nuremberg...."Just doin my job" is the coward's excuse.
edit on 25-1-2014 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Sounds like some north Korean Re education camp to me.

Anyway arnt jails were they put people on remand? If they are on remand and have not be found guilty of a crime by a jury they should be treated with the uttermost repect until they get a hury verdict.

I get rather anal on the remand aspect as jailing someone waiting trial goes against the guilty until proven guilty. I know its a thing that must be done, but I do think the rights of those detained on remand should be protected as much as possible.
edit on 25-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

HomerinNC

AlphaHawk
reply to post by mwood

Well then, dont get arrested in his county. End of story.

You can get arrested in his county simply for being the wrong race.

It's funny to see how many people in this thread that cries Obama it tearing up the constitution but supports Joe who does nothing more than spit on the constitution. With all the rights he violates and the over 40 million dollars he has cost the county in lawsuits his ass should be in jail living on bread and water.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

buster2010
With all the rights he violates and the over 40 million dollars he has cost the county in lawsuits his ass should be in jail living on bread and water.

And call it "nutriloaf" so we can pretend that it isn't cruel and unusual punishment. Oh, don't forget to put a Mexican flag in his cell too to goad him into being more punished.

I have lost ALL respect for anyone who is defending this man and his archaic ways.
edit on 25-1-2014 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Someone needs to have a wee look at Joe's past. control freaks like this usually hide something very sinister.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Sheriff Arpaio is just a common thug who completely ignores the law at every opportunity.

If I'm not mistaken, in 1989 the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in the Texas vs. Johnson case, struck down all laws banning flag desecration and ruled that flag desecration is actually a form of free speech protected under the First Amendment.

When will the taxpayers of Arizona get tired of defending this asshole's actions in court with their tax dollars? That's the question.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

You are equally hard on whoever the Sheriff is for Cook County, Illinois, right? That's just one of a few jails that use the "Nutraloaf" punishment as "bread and water" for the major problem cases.... What Sheriff Joe is doing here isn't new, different or unique and the Chicago area jail is what actually popped first when I went to hunting what kind of bread he might be using in Arizona. It turns out it's not even a new idea he's using, just an effective one, in use at a number of jails around the nation.

So lets be sure this isn't personal to the man when the man isn't doing anything personally different.

As far as how enforcement of United States immigration law that is now seeing him sued and sanctioned? Lets be realistic and be honest to include the fact his office and deputies were certified by I.C.E. under Bush to enforce federal immigration laws in cooperation with the federal agencies involved. They've since removed that, as *ANY* enforcement of immigration law seems "passe'" right now ....but what people hate him for was largely being done with the full approval and LEGAL backing of the Federal Government. At least until administrations changed and the whole attitude toward those laws changed with it.

It's important to keep it honest, in my opinion.
edit on 25-1-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

I guess If you go home and smoke your weed and do your coc aine, heroin and crack and STAY HOME till all the effects wear off then your only endangering yourself. But we all know you don't do that do you... You go to bars, drive around, go to work and mix with the sober people while your under the influence so you risk hurting others with your "personal choice".

Yes, I was at Kroger the other day and a guy I know approached me. He had a rolled-up $1 bill hanging out of his nose and was obviously intoxicated on coc aine.

I tell ya' what, I ain't never been more afraid for my life than that point right there. I mean, gawd, he was like trying to have a conversation with me--like, seriously? I don't think that situation could have gotten anymore dangerous.

I totally agree with you though, can you just imagine the gall of some people? I mean, it pisses me off that they do things in their own homes that I don't like nor would do myself, but to come out in public where I might have to run into them in that state? Only so I can be reminded of the fact that I don't have the superpowers required to purge the Earth of all the things that make me a whiny child? It's enough to make a man consider genocide, I mean, it would be for a good cause--getting rid of all those pesky things that I don't like. Maybe you can help me?

But, I've gotten carried away. I only wanted to highlight the dangerous situation I found myself in that one day at Kroger. I almost lost my life, but I was saved by another buddy of mine who was all jacked-upped on Tylenol PM. I wasn't afraid of him, though, because Tylenol PM is legal and he was my hero.

Just because you think it's ok don't make it so. I am sure Rapists think what they do is ok too.

OMG! You are exactly right, I just realized that people like you are rapists! You don't like the fact that I could sit in my house and smoke a joint, you don't like the fact that I could walk around out in public smoking a joint--so you go around taking away the individual's right to make decisions that govern their own morality and bodily health--just because you think it's OK for you to do it.

Well then, rapist, what do you have to say for yourself?

(no I am not comparing rape with smoking weed, just saying that the law breaker thinks what THEY do is ok)

(Actually, you ARE comparing rape with smoking weed, and it is possible that some lawmakers are incompetent...like if you became a lawmaker)

Logical fallacies

I am giving you the above link to a website that can help you learn to think better.
You obviously need help.
edit on 25-1-2014 by LewsTherinThelamon because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2014 by LewsTherinThelamon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

If its german bread that woudl be so delicious! Id file suite of 8th amendment rights being violated...which im sure is coming.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
If I recall correctly, bread and water punishment is strictly for junior enlisted sailors aboard a ship, and it is only for 3 days. I know of many sailors who have requested 3 days bread and water instead of 60 days restriction for NJP punishment. Bread and water alone for an extended amount of time can possibly kill someone. I do believe the origins of the punishment intended that to happen, only a bread diet can clog the GI track, it does not take a doctor to figure out that can be a lethal condition. There is a reason why the bread and water punishment in the Navy is restricted to 3 days.

While I think some of Sheriff Arpaio's methods are a good crime deterrent, I do think he takes things a little to far. Bread and water for an extended amount of time can be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jrod

It's not white bread and tap water..is an important thing to note here. I'd put this on page 2 and it's easier just to link back to the post.

Previous Post with Nutraloaf specifics

As noted there in a court case specifically finding Maricopa County can use this as a punishment, is the description of "Bread and Water" being a term used to refer to "Nutraloaf". (This link gives more perspective to it's use outside that one jail).

Think of all the bad jokes and humor about astronaut food or tasteless industrial gruel and multiply it, by the sound of it. It's a mish mash of 'bread' with a dozen or more essentials mixed into something with no taste as I've read about it now.

Yuck...but perfectly healthy on the paper requirements, anyway.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I think Ill email Joe and give him the recipe for Ezekiel bread.
The prisoners would be in better health by time the 7 days were up! LOL! WHen I was training I ate very specific things, Ezekiel was one of them. Its definitely a lot better tasting than the Nutriloaf is being described.
7 Days isnt much for a partial fast and would do many folks a lot of good. Fasting for short periods of time is a part of my life and partial and full fasts are throughout history parts of entire cultures and religions. Fasting was necessary in some parts of the world and a part of their lives. I think the people have become soft and whiny ( My opinion) when they cry about this particular "punishment".. and insulting to call it cruel and unusual as if it were on par with TRUE cruel and unusual punishment.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Thanks. I'm surprised I missed that.

Prison food is not supposed to be good.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

You are equally hard on whoever the Sheriff is for Cook County, Illinois, right? That's just one of a few jails that use the "Nutraloaf" punishment as "bread and water" for the major problem cases.... What Sheriff Joe is doing here isn't new, different or unique and the Chicago area jail is what actually popped first when I went to hunting what kind of bread he might be using in Arizona. It turns out it's not even a new idea he's using, just an effective one, in use at a number of jails around the nation.

So lets be sure this isn't personal to the man when the man isn't doing anything personally different.

As far as how enforcement of United States immigration law that is now seeing him sued and sanctioned? Lets be realistic and be honest to include the fact his office and deputies were certified by I.C.E. under Bush to enforce federal immigration laws in cooperation with the federal agencies involved. They've since removed that, as *ANY* enforcement of immigration law seems "passe'" right now ....but what people hate him for was largely being done with the full approval and LEGAL backing of the Federal Government. At least until administrations changed and the whole attitude toward those laws changed with it.

It's important to keep it honest, in my opinion.

No one in this country should be put on a bread and water diet no matter if the are a prisoners or not what is this the 1800"s now? And the way Joe enforces the immigration law is racist because he stereotypes people. In his mind if you are Hispanic then you are automatically an illegal until you prove otherwise. This is wrong because you can't stop an harass someone simply because of race. And if you did a little checking the investigations on Joe started when Bush was in office so the change of administration had nothing to do with pointing out the racist way Joe does things. Yes it is important to keep things honest but if you want honesty then you want nothing to do with Joe.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

No one in this country should be put on a bread and water diet no matter if the are a prisoners or not what is this the 1800"s now?

I might agree..or not. The courts have found the use of Nutraloaf as "Bread and Water" as defined, is acceptable and as the article I linked above indicates. some 100+ Jails and Facilities across at least 12 states are believed to make use of this method...through numerous challenges to it's legality. As long as it's legal by that standard, what he's doing isn't nice ...but there is nothing improper about it.

And the way Joe enforces the immigration law is racist because he stereotypes people.

When you are enforcing Federal immigration law, as a part of a certified federal program to allow for local law enforcement to do that very thing...and this is all happening within a couple hours drive from the Mexican border? What part of looking for those known to be the vast majority represented within the illegal population is racist?

Should he have been looking for red haired white boys in the Phoenix area during that immigration work through his deputies? That criteria might actually make sense in SOME areas of the nation too, where Irish and other communities have immigration issues with illegals and/or visa abuse. Not so much there tho...and one mans "Stereotyping" is another mans common sense for what the local problem is to address.

And if you did a little checking the investigations on Joe started when Bush was in office so the change of administration had nothing to do with pointing out the racist way Joe does things.

If you'd missed my comments, I'd mentioned I've read quite a bit about Joe Arpaio and his history as well as tenure as Sheriff since 1993. I spent the better part of my 15 year trucking career in, out and through the Phoenix area both delivering/pickup up and just passing through to and from the L.A./California or Yuma/Nogales produce areas. So, his actions and his policies as a Sheriff have been more than passing interest to me for a good many years. Personal interest..would be accurate to say.

A difference of interpretation for how he does his job as Sheriff seems to be what we have here ....but as much as we may disagree? The people of Maricopa County have been reelecting him since that first term in the earlier 90's. Almost 25 years now as Sheriff ....tells me the locals like who they have and that's ultimately all that really matters unless you or I personally live there too, IMO.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Read your first sentence. The fact is that the average person probably couldn't even name the sheriff of their own county, let alone any other counties. Yet Sheriff Joe is known worldwide, and only for the bad things. He is a lot more than just some sadistic jerk who likes attention. The fact is that he does do some good. His drug program is fairly extensive, and his GED program has actually graduated a lot more inmates than some other large counties do. People scream bloody murder about the chain gangs, but the fact is that they are entirely voluntary, and for every day worked it allows for 1 day taken off the inmate's sentence. There are actually waiting lists for them. Before he took over the county animal shelter it was costing the county 18 million a year, and the animals' treatment often bordered on neglect. Since then he has inmates taking care of the animals, he relies heavily on donations to feed the animals, the animals are walked twice a day, the inmates learn how to take care of animals, and the whole program only costs 3 million a year. He recently began housing incarcerated veterans together, makes sure they receive counseling, and has an outreach program for them.

No, Joe is a lot more complex than people realize. But the man craves attention, and that is my biggest issue with him. As it turns out, ALL of the widespread publicity he receives is for the harsh treatment he administers. So the man continually tries to outdo himself to remain in the public eye. My guess is that if the media focused as much on what he does right as what he does wrong it may indeed make a difference to the 10,000 or so souls currently locked up in his jails

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

What part of looking for those known to be the vast majority represented within the illegal population is racist?

Are you joking? We are talking about Arizona here where Hispanics have large communities something that isn't seen in northern states. Would you also support him if he said that he was going to start harassing blacks every time a crime is committed because the blacks make up a good portion of the prison population?

The people of Maricopa County have been reelecting him since that first term in the earlier 90's. Almost 25 years now as Sheriff ....tells me the locals like who they have and that's ultimately all that really matters unless you or I personally live there too, IMO.

Quite a few people that live there claim the only reason he gets elected is because of the snow birds. And they want the election date changed to a date when the snow birds won't be there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join