Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Sheriff Arpaio Puts 38 Inmates on Bread and Water

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
In Sheriff Joe's jail, The Star Spangled Banner plays at dawn and God Bless America at night.

There is a Flag in all the jail cells too.

If you desecrate that Flag, you will get punished.

"Justified" or are the Flags being used as bait?

I think many offenders in his jail may not be American.

Sheriff Arpaio Puts 38 Inmates on Bread and Water After They Desecrate American Flag in Jail Cell

Awesome- Arpaio starts every day with "The Star Spangled Banner" and at night plays "God Bless America" over the intercom. A flag is also placed in every cell. If the flag is desecrated, there are consequences.

PHOENIX CBS5az -Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is serving 38 inmates bread and water as punishment for allegedly desecrating the American flag that is in each cell of his jail complex.

"Tearing them, writing on them, stepping on them, throwing them in the toilet, trash or wherever they feel, it's a disgrace to those who have fought for our county," Arpaio said.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Someone should put him in charge of all prisons, so then we can call them "re-education" camps.

/s

I thought bread and water was reserved for military prisons, which, agree to that when they sign up.

Arpaio also noted his office has hired 80 detention officers in the past year who have previously served in the U.S. Armed Forces.

Oh, that might explain it.

The military going harder on its people is kind of how government should be. You are giving sweeping powers over other people, you may face more severe punishment if you step out of line.

(It should also include really good systems for helping them readjust when they come home, as well as health programs…)

On the case of public jails, I can't see the logic. Especially when criminal behaviour there are so many laws on the books that almost everyone is a criminal. (But not the ones who don't get caught?)
edit on 24-1-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Arpaio must have really been going through withdrawal from lack of attention since he's got two threads about him today. This is just Arpaio doing what Arpaio does best. Drawing attention to himself by performing some stunt whose legality is questionable.

ETA: Then again he may be doing these inmates a favor. He's already been brought to task over the quality and sanitation of food he serves in his prisons. Assuming the bread's not moldy it's probably more sanitary than whatever else they would have been served.
edit on 1/24/2014 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Sherif A. is the most successful modern day plantation owner in the United States.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Well, imagine that... Sheriff Joe is determined to make his jail a place people WANT to avoid and never want to come back to. I think it's a fabulous idea in a world where people come to be institutionalized by willful choice as often as not.

Jail isn't a nice place by ANY normal standard for normal people...but for criminals and street folks? It's a BIG step up in a lot of ways these days, especially. I've got no problem with Jail being a very very miserable place no one wants to be. It beats Cable TV, comforts of home and general aversion to anything ...jail like... by the administration that runs it.

If Sheriff Joe ever gets tired of Arizona, Southern Missouri would likely welcome him with open arms and pay for his ticket to get here. We could use a Sheriff who is a cop first and a politician second.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well, imagine that... Sheriff Joe is determined to make his jail a place people WANT to avoid and never want to come back to. I think it's a fabulous idea in a world where people come to be institutionalized by willful choice as often as not.

You can go to prison for personal choices like using drugs.

There are people in there that should not be, and they are being mistreated.

Not only murderers, rapists, and thieves wind up in jail.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
President?

Could it be worse?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   

LewsTherinThelamon

You can go to prison for personal choices like using drugs.

There are people in there that should not be, and they are being mistreated.

Not only murderers, rapists, and thieves wind up in jail.

Let me correct you... murderers and rapists go to state prison, the fools in sheriff joe's tent city are there for dui, not paying child support, not paying fines, probation violation. The real criminals are in DOC watching cable tv, smoking cigarettes, drinking coffee, and generally having a much better time. Joe is getting tough with guys he knows won't fight back.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
That's actually pretty psychopathic.

What kind of messed up world do I live in?

Prisons here prisons there, but no human rights respected anywhere.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LewsTherinThelamon

Indeed.. There are all kinds of bad reasons people are in jail. All kinds of wrong reasons.

Blame the politicians who write the laws and set the sentence guidelines. The Sheriffs who run the jails have nothing to do with that side of it, and I keep them separate for blame where it's due in this situation, at least as I view it.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

whyamIhere
President?

Could it be worse?

Love the simplicity of your reply. However, I think Sheriff Joe is in his perfect niche. His jail, his rules, pretty much transparent (good or bad). I like him right where he's at.

President ... I don't think so. We need a President to fill that job ... not a jailer.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LewsTherinThelamon

Not only that but what will usually happen is that prosecutors will threaten people(mostly men) with the prospect of outlandish sentences in relation to the crimes committed. Informing them if they accept plea deals instead the sentences will be lower, if they choose a trial by jury they can go to prison for 30 years for stealing a stereo(just an example)...as opposed to a plea which is 10 years. Meaning they may or may not be guilty but accept anyway because the prospect of going to prison for the rest of their lives is nothing but mafia coercion. It's a shame that we've allowed this type of system to come to past. That's the whole #ing point of trial by jury, it's a filter for abusive behaviors and laws.

What this results in is that only around 10% of cases that qualify for trial by jury get access to trial by jury. The practice of threatening excessive sentences to coerce defendants into accepting plea bargains was upheld with Brady v. United States in 1970.

The whole system is a scam and this guy is nothing but a modern day slave master that makes money off free labor. Most of the men in his prison are in there for non-violent crimes that didn't even get to go through a fair and balanced trial 90% of the time.

Arizona has the 6th highest incarceration rate of any state in the U.S. and one of the highest rates of recidivism. The system in no way does anything but line the pockets of evil men and turn 1 out of every 33 citizens into slaves that work for free(yes, 1 out of 33).

www.dakotavoice.com...

www.pewtrusts.org...
The guy's a douche. Shame on him and shame on America for putting up with # like this or even worse supporting it.
edit on 24-1-2014 by OrphanApology because: D

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I tell you what, I'd tear that flag down and desecrate it more than you ever knew.

And you can beat me for it till I die, but every time you put it back up, I'll tear it back down.
It means NOTHING because this is Tyranny.

There...I said it.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by azdaze

Thanks.. I'm real well aware of the difference between Jail and Prison... Jail is also where everyone who is now in prison..started. It's also where everyone now in prison GOES during their appeals and other processes where the court in question is adjacent to the jail and not their home facility.

Lots of people in jails...lots of reasons to be there. Nothing ought to be pleasant or nice about the place, just within humane standards. Opinions vary on what constitutes that, but in this Rabbit's opinion, nothing much about Maricopa County jails are inhumane. It's an exceptionally crappy place to be...but again, good. Jail should be.

I sometimes wonder at how many folks seem to identify with criminals over law abiding citizens who pay for their housing and upkeep.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Except that the higher courts have ruled on a few occasions that Joe's jails have been inhumane, but they were just isolated incidents, right?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
thinks he's doing right, with that which he has had laid on his plate to deal with..... and can't really argue with the manner by which he's approaching the situation... straightup. to the point.

'h think he's merely a lesser version of the warden in shawshank redemption .... and tends to stay 'just this side' of the law in his applications of the same.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by azdaze

I'm not sure... Which decisions and rulings to which situations? I'm not going to agree or disagree without knowing what it was about.

That's really one of the fundamental differences between people these days. One segment looks at what law or authority did wrong or must have done wrong, because...they all do wrong or something, and demands others prove otherwise.

Another segment, which I far more closely identify with, do not assume cops, sheriffs or other authority did wrong or is wrong by sheer nature of what they do for a living.

I've read Arpaio's books and found them very interesting to the background, history and thinking of the man. I happen to agree very strongly with his overall philosophy and really mean he'd be welcome in Southern Missouri in most communities I'd be aware of. That's not a knee jerk thing to say, just to be different. I honestly happen to agree with him, and so does a majority electing him each time ...as he's been serving quite a few consecutive elected terms now.

* For the record... I don't care for his side trips and flights of fancy into things far far outside his Maricopa county jurisdiction. I believe he's made a half way decent Sheriff though and we are all entitled to our opinions.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   

The thing is his extreme methods are no more effective than the normal methods. His recidivism rate is the same as his predecessor's and Maricopa County is the only part of Arizona that has seen an increase in violent crimes.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
That's really one of the fundamental differences between people these days.
One segment looks at what law or authority did wrong or must have done wrong, because...they all do wrong or something, and demands others prove otherwise.

Another segment, which I far more closely identify with, do not assume cops, sheriffs or other authority did wrong or is wrong by sheer nature of what they do for a living.

So you view the world in a "Us vs Them" mentality?

You do realize that is inaccurate correct?
Because everyone is different therefore each person you label in one of those groups is actually not the same, and many of them have different views or degrees of condemnation for each other side.

The best route is to simply not assume anything and listen to information on it's own merit as an individual case, then make decisions accordingly to the unique situation.

Perhaps you should reevaluate your perceptions?
The world is not 'black or white', the prism brings many colors.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Has there ever been a study on how many of Sheriff Joe's inmates become repeat "vistors" to the Corrections System vs the rest of the Prison population? I'd be very curious if his way of doing business results in less repeat offenders. I would hope so, but the prison population isn't bursting at the seams with Mensa applications either.

Anyone know of a report like that?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution