It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**Blimps** to thwart cruise missile attack?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The Pentagon is looking into using blimps to detect cruise missile attacks which they say is to close a gap in our current defenses.

So...my questions is....we have had this gap for how long, and "blimps" are the answer?

We have NSA listening to every conversation we have, satellites that can see a zit on your kids face and how many hundreds of billions spent on defense each year .....

but technology from the late 1800's is the answer?

where did all our money go!?

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Its been posted..but its good on paranoid government. What better way than to put up a blimp and give away your location..you could dress it up to look like Harry's Used car Dealership!

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Bigburgh
Its been posted..but its good on paranoid government. What better way than to put up a blimp and give away your location..you could dress it up to look like Harry's Used car Dealership!

I did see some posts about the blimps they are wanting to use. Seems like there are many different things they want to use them for. Thought this cruise missile thing was new though.

Not to get off my own topic...LOL but I guess since this "gap" is there they couldn't see themselves shooting the Pentagon with their own cruise missile?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

Your right! Total fear mongering BS!!!!

But hey! The sheep whom buy into partisanship politics are acting "EXACTLY" as the Protocols predicted!

How is it that we are being told to "FEAR THE TERRORRISTS" when the biggest threat to our country and Sovereignty is our debt???

Yet we have an administration acting as a "dictatorial" body doing nothing more than putting forth propaganda to keep the masses in check?

Nah! Not only is the current political party in power guilty of treason against our nation, but also their so called opposition party guilty as well!

Think about it!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

seeker1963

Your right! Total fear mongering BS!!!!

But hey! The sheep whom buy into partisanship politics are acting "EXACTLY" as the Protocols predicted!

How is it that we are being told to "FEAR THE TERRORRISTS" when the biggest threat to our country and Sovereignty is our debt???

Yet we have an administration acting as a "dictatorial" body doing nothing more than putting forth propaganda to keep the masses in check?

Nah! Not only is the current political party in power guilty of treason against our nation, but also their so called opposition party guilty as well!

Think about it!!!

no need to think about it....as I couldn't have said it better myself....I am 100% with you.

they have to keep us worried about fake enemies to keep our eyes off the ball....

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

..nice..
I mentioned in the other thread..IT HAS A LOONEY TOON FEEL TO IT.
Time will tell.

Edit: because it was thought the blimps were going to be armed with cruise missiles.
Also. I was getting confused as it seemed the Pentagon was defending itself from the NSA. Strange.
edit on 24-1-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I would hardly call the ability to loft a large radar, to an altitude where it can have a several thousand mile range, and leave it there for days or weeks at a time "1800s technology".

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I thought the Posse Comitatus Act might be in effect here.

The Posse Comitatus Act is the United States federal law (18 U.S.C. § 1385, original at 20 Stat. 152) that was passed on June 18, 1878, after the end of Reconstruction and was updated in 1981. Its intent (in concert with the Insurrection Act of 1807) was to limit the powers of Federal government in using federal military personnel to enforce the state laws.

en.wikipedia.org...

link   

I get it. It is tenable. Has to do with angle of view or something.

Radar on land looks out to sea. A blimp out at sea could better detect a sea skimming missile. Its easier to detect something going by than it is to detect it coming at you, if that makes any sense.

That only applies to exclusive use of "cruise type" missiles though, is my guess.

In an "out and out" multiple missiles would come in from on high and on the water from all points simultaneously in an effort to overwhelm whatever defenses there were.

link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Your missing the point don't you think?

"Intention"?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Zaphod58

I would hardly call the ability to loft a large radar, to an altitude where it can have a several thousand mile range, and leave it there for days or weeks at a time "1800s technology".

1800's technology to get the radar there.

we don't have satellites that can do the same thing?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

beezzer
I thought the Posse Comitatus Act might be in effect here.

The Posse Comitatus Act is the United States federal law (18 U.S.C. § 1385, original at 20 Stat. 152) that was passed on June 18, 1878, after the end of Reconstruction and was updated in 1981. Its intent (in concert with the Insurrection Act of 1807) was to limit the powers of Federal government in using federal military personnel to enforce the state laws.

en.wikipedia.org...

interesting....I have to agree..

are you tired Beezer or been visiting Colorado?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Zaphod58

I caught it on the other thread..10,000 feet....would this not endanger incoming aircraft..I know the blimp is small. But could pose a danger.

IE. BWI?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Several billion for a geosynchronous sattelite, that would have a hard time seeing the small launch signature of a cruise missile versus $100 million or so (most of which would be in the radar) for an Aerostat system. Makes a heck of a lot of sense to me.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigburgh

Aerostat ops areas are restricted. Nothing goes through there.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Zaphod58

Several billion for a geosynchronous sattelite, that would have a hard time seeing the small launch signature of a cruise missile versus $100 million or so (most of which would be in the radar) for an Aerostat system. Makes a heck of a lot of sense to me.

Its already in use in Afghanistan...Raytheon I believe.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Zaphod58

Aerostat ops areas are restricted. Nothing goes through there.

Got it. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

They were in use in the Southeast US for years, with smaller, shorter range systems. The last one was recently decomissioned.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Zaphod58

interesting take....but don't we already have the satellite tech....you are talking about buying a new one....

but I see your point

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Actually the more i think about it it makes sense. See ground radar cant track cruise missiles there designed to hug the earth and unless its flat for hundreds of miles it won't see it. They move to quickly for satellites to track however planes can detect them. But you cant keep planes flying 24 hrs a day would get expensive. Do yeah i blimp makes sense it could easily sit above a target for weeks on end with a radar tracking system. I laughed at first but it does make sense.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join