It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Open Letter to Lovers of the Gun

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Billy-boy missed the real problem, it is not a gun problem but a people problem.

The problem is that there are too many broken people.

The more you have of something, the more of the "broken" there will be.

Think of us like any mass produced product. If your production failure rate is 4% and you make 100, how many failures are there? 4.

If America has 300M people and say there are 4% "failures", how many is that? 12M.

Same % but a dramatically different #.

Even if the "failure" rate 0.4%, that is still a huge # of "failures". And that is the problem, the failed humanity of the shooters.

Which then really points to the fact that we're too many.

Billy-boy shouldn't be afraid of anything other than a person, because it is the person that is dangerous.

Derek
edit on 24-1-2014 by Viesczy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
It seems that individual ownership is always argued... what about the industy and producers?

I don't care if you own a gun or not... I do care that you get appropriately punished if something bad happens as a resut of owning a gun... or any "weapon" for that matter.

My question is why do we have companies whos core business is to keep designing and producing implements of death?

Do we really need to keep pumping money and resources into desinging the most effective way to kill people?

Hunting weapons = good
Automatic killing devices = bad

It's not the dark ages anymore.

I'm all for responssible ownership of anything (have a tank if you're responsible with it!)... but i'm not into mass produced killing implements.

Gun companies care about profit... profit comes from selling guns... ecconomic growth for gun companies means more killing implemnts in the world... great... just what we need!

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
If you have guns in your home to hunt and protect your family, keep them properly locked in a gun safe.

Someone ought to write a: 'Lovers of the knife; Because after all, more people have been murdered by knife than gun, so knives are evil and need to be banned. no one should keep a knife in their home. NO ONE!! And get rid of blunt objects too!!!!!

I'm sorry. This 'anti-gun' stuff is rediculous. If you don't like guns, FINE, then don't own one. That's your right and prerogative. But please, don't tell us responsible gun lovers that we can't own one because thugs and mentally ill people use them for evil.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by puzzlesphere

Peace in this world only exists because the threat of instant death is a power motivator. Mexico outlawed all guns in an attempt to decrease gun violence. The result they got was the complete opposite. At the end of the day all power political or otherwise comes from the end of a barrel and Mexico by creating a defenseless populous handed the cartels the keys to the kingdom.

In 50 years they say half of our military will be robotic and you want us to disarm? I think not! Only a fool would go through life so trusting! I know this sounds paranoid, but every dictatorship in history has come to pass because a populous elevated their law makers above the law and that's exactly what's happening in America today! I'll give you my guns when hell freezes.
edit on 24-1-2014 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

FyreByrd
I used to love guns, grew up with them and had fun with them. When I became a parent, I read the literature and the statistics are clear - have a gun in your home - the chances of someone in that home dying by gun go up - and put away my guns forever.

In my eyes, having a gun in my home decreases the odds of someone in my home of dying by a gun - or any other weapon. If I didn't have guns, and the rest of the United States citizens didn't have guns, I believe the odds would then be increased because that would be an open door for criminals to come in and take what they please.

What would increase the odds of one of my family members or myself from being killed by a gun owned by myself?

-Undereducation on proper use
-Leaving them lay around unsecured

The second one would actually take care of itself if the first has been done right. You can read all the literature you want but the solution for that problem isn't just giving up your guns all together. It's common sense.

As for these school shootings. Horrible things, but taking guns away isn't the answer. Neither are violent video games, or movies, or any of the other stupid answer's I've heard. I'm 24 years old, play "violent" video games, watch movies with killing and blood and gore and surprise! Haven't went and shot up a school. Never once crossed my mind. Also, I grew up in what most of you people would call a "rural community". The majority of people around here hunt to put food on the table. I'd say 45-50% of guys in my high school graduating class had a hunting rifle in the back glass of their trucks. Never one school shooting. If there was, it wouldn't have been one of the guys just going hunting after school. Their first thought would be to go to the truck, grab the gun, and take down the shooter.

Read this: en.wikipedia.org...

I had no idea there has been this many "school shootings".

According to that, it wasn't uncommon for boys to carry pistols to school in the 1800's which doesn't surprise me a bit. Seems like the majority of the violence (bringing in a gun and going after a specified target or multiple random targets) didn't start until fairly recently.

Why don't we reflect on how things used to be? Maybe that's the answer. See where we went wrong, go back to that, and see if it fixes it.

Oh and while your making guns illegal to make the country safer, maybe you should make meth and heroine illegal too.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

I wanted to share this link.
Clearly GUNS are not the problem. lol Sorry to make light of your topic, but as you can see by clicking, It is sick people you should be worried about.

As I hope you know, Crazy people can be dangerous with anything. And yes, even a squirrel can be used as a deadly weapon, per my link..
Enjoy. And good luck with your BS.
edit on 24-1-2014 by zysin5 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
How many children has the Us Government killed?

Let's not forget those killed overseas in drone strikes.

It is very sad but I will not give up my rights because some crazy person goes on a shooting spree.

I conceal carry or open carry every day and pray I never need to put anyone else down ever again. However I am prepared to do so to protect my family, myself or others should the need arise.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Just because the MSM did not say we were outraged does not mean we were not outraged by Waco!

To the best of my knowledge none even lost their job over Waco.
edit on 24-1-2014 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Donkey_Dean

In waco several actually got promotions. No one was charged with any crime because Federal LE is the Law thus above it. Who would arrest or challenge them?

No one has yet...

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

puzzlesphere
It's not the dark ages anymore.

Are you serious??? Where do YOU live? There are more people out there today, that would drop you like a hot plate for next to nothing.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

When I was about six, about the time I joined cub scouts, I started carrying a pocket knife. I always had a knife at school, lots of boys did. They weren't nearly as dangerous as the hairspray the girls carried around in their purses.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Shhhhh. I would rather they took away violent video games than our guns.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
actually if you have studied the trend of school shootings in north America(first one happened before America was even a a nation and was commited by native americans raiding a school) you will knotice the trend that they have been happening for pretty much the same four(five if you count freak accidents like when hunting used to be permited at schools and kids would shoot them selves on accident) reasons they always have.en.wikipedia.org... all quoted text is from this link
1 jilted lovers: either one person wanted a girl who turned him down so he came in and shot the suitor or the girl.

June 23, 1871: Lagrange, Indiana, Miss Anna Dwight was shot to death in front of her students by a rejected suitor.[7]

2.students who feel they have been wronged/abused at school either by teachers,fellow students or in rare-er occasions random people who lived near the school

1850s November 2, 1853: Louisville, Kentucky, The student Matthew Ward bought a pistol in the morning, went to school and killed the schoolmaster Mr. Butler, as revenge for what Ward thought was excessive punishment of his brother the day before. Ward was acquitted.[2]

June 12, 1887: Cleveland, Tennessee, Will Guess went to the school and fatally shot Miss Irene Fann, his little sister's teacher, for whipping her the day before

December 22, 1868: Chattanooga, Tennessee, A boy who refused to be whipped by his teacher, left the school. The next day he returned with his brother and a friend for revenge. Not finding the teacher at the school, they continued to his house, where a gun battle took place and three died. Only the brother survived.[6]

3.people who just wanted to hurt children/people before killing themselves in random acts of violence or as revenge in an act of war

1760s The earliest known United States shooting to happen on school property was the Pontiac's Rebellion school massacre on July 26, 1764, where four Lenape American Indians entered the schoolhouse near present-day Greencastle, Pennsylvania, shot and killed schoolmaster Enoch Brown, and killed nine or ten children (reports vary). Only three children survived.[1]

January 20, 1891: Syracuse, New York, In an abusive rage, Wilber F. Baker went to the Bassett Street School where his wife was teaching, entered the classroom and shot her five times, killing her. He was caught by police after a 40 mile chase
combo of one and three

March 15, 1884: Gainesville, Georgia, In the middle of the day, a group of very drunk Jackson County farmers left the Jug Tavern drinking and shooting their revolvers as they headed down the street driving people into their homes. As they approached the female academy, the girls fled the schoolyard into the school where the gang followed swearing and shooting, firing several rounds into the front door. No one was hurt.

en.wikipedia.org... 45 kids killed back in 1927

4.crazy/drunk/generaly broken people shooting up schools for some odd goal(money rarely) or for in recent times glory in the media

May 16, 1986: Cokeville Elementary School hostage crisis, In a ransom scheme, David and Doris Young took 150 students and teachers hostage. Their demand for $300 million dollars came to an abrupt end when Doris accidentally set off a bomb, killing herself and injuring 78 students and teachers. David wounded John Miller, a teacher who was trying to flee, then killed himself.

so if you read through that whole long depressing wikipedia page you can see that the causes have stayed the same for over a century at least if not more depending on when you want to start counting them it has nothing to do with technology or ammount of ammo or magazine capacity or anything like that,school shootings are not a new phenomenon and their roots and causes have remained constant (well minus native American rebellions) what has changed is the amount of media attention the killers get in the public eye,in the old days the people that did this kind of crap were propped up in the town square full of holes to show other would be people what happens to people who commit such acts,now they are paraded infront of the media their whole lives broadcast for all to see and their terrible deeds almost glorified as they get the attention they did not get in life in their deaths.other times the media reports what they call a school shooting that ended up just either being gang activity (randomly happening near/at colleges high schools etc)or as the case from the other day ended up being jilted lovers shooting the "competition".

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The ongoing progressive ideal is to remove accountability, standards and ultimately sanity from society.
They want to remove guns from society because their version of reality supports and expands the number of sociopathic members in society and removes accountability and integrity as basic requirements for functioning members of society.

A society bereft of humanity and functioning at the pleasure of an all controlling progressive leadership will not have members who are capable of using dangerous tools.

Any individual who feels he or she is capable of exercising accountability beyond the wishes of the leadership is seen as a threat to progressive control.

The increase of sociopathic behavior regarding school shootings is directly related to the breakdown in social fabric due to progressive dismantling of social standards.

You cannot remove social and cultural involvement and checks for half a century while replacing them with chaos and expect things to get any better.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I have a novel idea...

Stop covering it on the news

Stop plastering it all over every channel every time some idiot shoots a gun near a school in a situation that "might" have been connected to the school

Stop making cult icons out of the shooters

Kids are impressionable...especially, pouting, picked on, moody, unstable brats that feel like they need to show the world how much they hate every one

The media needs to stop offering suggestions to these kids by making them think they'll be famous if they "go out in a blaze of glory"

A chance at notoriety breeds recklessness in some people - here's a short example of this phenomenon:
Streaking @ sporting events used to be a common occurance in the 70's & 80's
Then one day some stuff-shirt decided that they'd make it a point to not show any of it on camera, but instead simply proceed as if nothing happened & only the attendees of the event would be the wiser.
20 years later...streaking almost never happens anymore...funny how that works...

Why do they give school shootings so much air time?

Considering the amount of thought that goes into programming, you'd think that they would realize they're just encouraging the next Adam Lanza

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Yuh know, You people will never comprehend reality, so here it is once again.........You can stand against the United States Constitution, and make laws against the private ownership of firearms by law abiding citizens all you like but criminals, just like concerning illegal drugs, will always be able to find them, or be willing to sell them to anyone who needs them, for a profit. It's called business, and many people are engaged in it just in order to survive.

Even the hypocrite liar Eric Holder might sell a thousand or so firearms to a few lunatics without knowing it. Or maybe he will sell them to a drug cartel pin, who will then turn around and sell them to a psychopath that wants to shoot some theater up?

Do you people think, or just react on emotion like mindless robots? it's an absolute joke, as if ignoring reality will end up saving the innocent lives that you supposedly are crying your eyes out about? Better call Mr. Roarke, and his midget Tattoo who yell's "the plane, the plane!", cause you're living on Fantasy Island. Great show by the way, I always wanted his little red golf cart like car for myself as a little kid, but that is another discussion.

Nope, There are plenty of illegal drugs anywhere and everywhere in America today if you want them. So I don't see why any nutcase that wanted a future illegalized gun would not be able to obtain one. Plus, they could massacre people with bombs or by lighting a fire just as easy. Stupidity is a disease in this Country, and it needs to be treated before the morons bring us all, and everyone else down along with them. ~$heopleNation

edit on 24-1-2014 by SheopleNation because: Chop uP

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

macman

FyreByrd

I have no reasonable use for a firearm and therefore 'choose' not to have one in my home

Your choice. And yet no one us forcing you to change that choice.

Yet you and others want to force those that believe in the 2nd Amendment to follow your ideals.

Sounds very much like you want to be part of the ruling class.

Please show me where I, or the article I quoted, was trying to 'force anyone' to do anything different.

I, don't use 'force' on other people. I use reason and facts.

This looks to me to be an example of 'forcing' your opinion on others.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

NightFlight

I used to love guns, grew up with them and had fun with them. When I became a parent, I read the literature and the statistics are clear - have a gun in your home - the chances of someone in that home dying by gun go up - and put away my guns forever.

What these same people don't tell you is that your chances go up of being shot and/or killed by an outsider with a weapon when you don't have a weapon of your own to protect yourself with.

I cannot find any statistics that reflect exactly what you wrote, but I'm still looking. There does seem to be a marked increase in suicides last year and this year. I'm no psychologist, but if I had to guess it would be because of the economy and the job market.

Guns are tools and when used wisely, can save your family from tyranny, and put food on the table if need be.

But, you can keep drinking the Kool-Aid and be led around by the nose by people who want to control you, your family and your money. And they will...

And can you give any sources for this 'fact'. I'd like to know.

Guns are going to save my family from tyranny? I don't have that kind of firepower nor do you. That statment is delusional.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Your lack of logic is astounding in this thread. You are too advocating exactly what the previous poster said what you were. He's right on this one. Your argument doesn't make sense.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

FyreByrd I get the 'defense against the governmnet' argument

i don't. americans have let and are letting their 'leaders' run them into the ground hand over fist. y'all have soooo many guns. why are you not using them to defend yourselves against your attackers (the government)? you're not. you don't. you won't. your precious weapons are impotent. you lost, but a gun in your hand makes you feel like a winner. pathetic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join