It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Open Letter to Lovers of the Gun

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

God made all men the same and Samuel Colt made them all equal. Someone call William Rivers Pitt a whambulance cause all I hera is a lot of crying.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I won't teach my two grandsons, they are playing violent video games all the time and I can't trust them with a gun...so I will never teach them.

My dad show me how to shoot at 4, i play violent video games all the time.

I'm 30 now and haven't kill anyone yet

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I used to love guns, grew up with them and had fun with them. When I became a parent, I read the literature and the statistics are clear - have a gun in your home - the chances of someone in that home dying by gun go up - and put away my guns forever.

What these same people don't tell you is that your chances go up of being shot and/or killed by an outsider with a weapon when you don't have a weapon of your own to protect yourself with.

I cannot find any statistics that reflect exactly what you wrote, but I'm still looking. There does seem to be a marked increase in suicides last year and this year. I'm no psychologist, but if I had to guess it would be because of the economy and the job market.

Guns are tools and when used wisely, can save your family from tyranny, and put food on the table if need be.

But, you can keep drinking the Kool-Aid and be led around by the nose by people who want to control you, your family and your money. And they will...

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The issue is not about guns as much as it is about school shootings.

Solution? Don't let your idiot kids have guns.

Everyone cites school shootings when crying about how guns kill people -- but no one seems to remember the countless cases of responsible adults with CCWs stopping crimes.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

If any other item in common use in America - like aspirin, or a car - was wasting people with the dreary regularity of guns, that item would be banned by congressional fiat...but it's guns, so the slaughter slogs on, even as you tell your friends you hate the influence of "special interests" in politics, because you're a fraud in Technicolor.

Ummm... have you seen the car related fatalities stats????
Obviously not...how bout the alcohol ones...or hmmm maybe if you own a gun and have a kid you do what responsible gun owners the world over do and take measures to prevent your child from getting their hands on it with out consent. Also a trip to the range for gun safety or even a class...I took one at 13-14y.o. but had already been well educated for years even before that. Sounds like another lame ass end around argument that distorts facts and is chalk full of emotion filled opinions.

Pure worthlessness!

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

You just finished you own question....responsibility first, then play out whatever, 99% of these kids probally have lame parents that are fine with chemically controlled and state raised children. Before you have adult control, you must have an adult and responsible mindset. These kids have a reality/ fantasy blur, mix that with lame parenting and possibly chemically alteration (mood altering drugs if you did not get that) and you have events like these and the list can vary in scope and spectrum...

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

The Gun-Grabbers must love you.

There is, and has only ever been ONE reason for a government to attempt to disarm its people, and it isn't for the children.

I keep thinking to myself that the mentality of the citizens of the United States can't become any more lemming-like, and yet the OP is today's sobering and sad reminder that I couldn't be more wrong.

If this is the way things are truly going to go, I weep for the future.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Weren't most of the shooters on or had been on some kinds of Physiological drugs? From my research: before child medication of drugs there were no school shootings. I don't blame the parents cause they have been lead to believe that their kids needs these drugs to focus in school. I (Do) blame the Parents for not researching to Know what the effects of the medications are before listening to some school or DR.

Drugs, kidnapping, abuse, etc... is not legal, but it hasn't stopped it from happening. Our guns is our protection and our right, Don't take them from the law abiding citizens, A law will not stop the disturbed children or criminals from getting them.

Its very sad what is going on in our country.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Guns are not the problem. Prescription medication is the problem.

ssristories.org...

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Thats absolutely silly...why not teach them and only allow access to the firearms when its under your supervision and your control? If they snap its a parents responsibility to make sure there is no access to any weapons of the sort. It was the same way with my first real knife. I owned it but didn't just have it on me...it was brought out when it was needed and taken when I was done. This went on until I had proven I was responsible enough to have it. Come on guys guns been here for centuries get used to it and get educated thats the only way to turn this type of thing around.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

RickyD

Come on guys guns been here for centuries get used to it and get educated thats the only way to turn this type of thing around.

They can't get used to it, because they're too busy allowing themselves to be brainwashed into being afraid of anything that doesn't have a representative of the Government behind it.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Wow that was a pretty non sequitur argument the op-Ed piece went on.

I'd like to comment more if there was anything if real substance to count on in that article but there's not. Just lots of vitriol

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Be disgusted? Seems Mr Pitt is missing the shot completely... That would expla... Nvm.

You know what you should be disgusted at? The issue that these mentally ill dweebs/angstyouth nutjobs run rampant across the nation & let's add a bag of salt and a tapestry of woe to your wound, the law becomes enforceable only after the crimes been done. Nice to know all of you, as well as myself amount to a homicide detectives next case. Mental health is the issue here, so either rehabilitate or put the worst of the worst away.

2:31 and I just heard. Sc state shooting on the news, how lovely. Put. Them. Away. Not your ability to defend yourself.
edit on 24-1-2014 by QuantumDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

It is the absence of guns that got those kids killed you dolt……

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
More people die each year in auto accidents than by gun violence.

More people die as a direct result of alcoholism than gun violence.

More children die from neglect and parental abuse than gun violence.

Shouldn't we be focused on the biggest killers first?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

criminals and mass shooters can and will get guns, knives, bombs etc no matter how hard you make it to get them. The ONLY thing to stop them is someone with a weapon standing guard. Don't like the idea of having to have armed security at schools? Wake up and welcome to the twenty first century. At least until we figure it out which in my opinion will be never.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I don't love guns. I don't even own a gun. But I'll be damn sure I retain the right to do so if ever I feel the need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.]

-- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

I'll keep my guns. This country won it's independence with the aid of a gun. In the quote above, replace sword with gun an it's as true today as it was way back then.

Don't think of it as `gun control', think of it as `victim disarmament'. If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals.

The possession of arms by the people is the ultimate warrant that government governs only with the consent of the governed.

-- Jeff Snyder

A gun saved my life. If not for that gun, I would not be here on this earth to see my grand-daughter become a grown woman, I would have never meet her. That quote is mine. OYM1262 ( defending my life from a home invasion ) The home invader, did'nt fair as well. RIP
edit on 24-1-2014 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
What an utter crock. Yeah, that's what I'll do. I'll give up my guns so that only the police and government are armed. Sounds like a great idea. SMH...

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

The problem isn't the guns.

It's the people mishandling guns that's the problem.

I see that it's very easy to blame guns as the issue because in many peoples minds it will fix the problem.

However if you remove guns these sorts of deaths will still occur.

They'll just use something else to perpetrate the crime.

The real issue is the way americans are exposed to violence IMO.

People are chopped up and dismembered on tv and we watch it with barely batting an eye.

I think that we are desensitized to the killing. You want to change things then change the way society views violence.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join