It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ugh, I can't stand the workforce mentality

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Just a little rant to get things off my chest. Started a new job the other day in my industry. I was previously self-employed as a contractor for the last four-years and now I remember just why I did that. You know that awkward feeling starting a new job? Co-workers 20 years younger than you who think their better, have something to prove, want to delegate when they're not the ones who sign your cheque. Listen, it's NOT a competition, you've already been hired. Just do your job the best you can and stop trying to up everyone around you. There doesn't need to be three guys doing a one-man job. You don't earn brownie points by being a cry baby and you need to be a little more friendly. Engage your co-workers and get to know them. Don't worry what everyone else is doing, just worry about what you're doing. If you make a mistake, it's ok, just own up to it. Don't throw co-workers under the bus and practice conflict resolution. Know how to say "please" and "thanks". It goes a long way.

Remember, everyone has strengths in different areas than you. If your co-worker has a little grey in their beard, there's a reason for that. Maybe I'm just different. To be a good leader requires being a good follower.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

this kind of mentality isn't just in the workforce. it is everywhere. the only advice i can give you is to forgive them and try not to show them any resentment. your anger would only feed their taunts further.

if they don't see you as equal, you can do it for them.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Know how to say "please" and "thanks". It goes a long way.

Not only on the job but in life.

Don't worry about the punks they'll learn, most learn.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I understand what you are talking about, but it is not always the employee mentality to blame.

When we lived in a world where you could work the same job your whole life, it wasn't as competitive. But now, a company will kick you off the second they get a chance.

With so much uncertainty, it changes the behavior. Employees can't be devoted to each other when employers no longer show what devotion is.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

My grandfather had a saying about consultants: "whant to know why consultants tend to be so good .... they are the ones smart enough not to work here but still get a paycheck".

Hang in there.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

nixie_nox
I understand what you are talking about, but it is not always the employee mentality to blame.

When we lived in a world where you could work the same job your whole life, it wasn't as competitive. But now, a company will kick you off the second they get a chance.

With so much uncertainty, it changes the behavior. Employees can't be devoted to each other when employers no longer show what devotion is.

You're absolutely right. I was going to add a paragraph about the company too.

Companies:
You sure were nice during the interview. What changed? Now that you've made that employee 'official' don't think for a minute you own them. You're only worried about 'crunch' time and once the jobs done you'll hand out the layoff notice. Don't think we're not aware of that.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

My dad lost a job once when the company he was working for, wanted him to fire an employee who had worked there 40 years and was 6 months from retirement. After 40 years of devotion, they didn't want to pay his pension. These days you are lucky if your company offers a pension.

My dad refused to fire him.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Good on your dad. Corporate mentalities are worse, I would much rather work for a small company. The suits at the top drive me nuts.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Learn to blame others...

You will be running the place in no time.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The bottom line is that if you don't like it, go back to being self-employed. There must have been some reason you took a job: better pay? More benefits? Steadier work? Working for someone else is always a trade-off between personal freedom and some sort of benefit. Perhaps you just needed a reminder of why you were self-employed in the first place. It's not as if you were in the Army. Your presence is not required. Quit. (And for fun, see my sig)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

schuyler
The bottom line is that if you don't like it, go back to being self-employed. There must have been some reason you took a job: better pay? More benefits? Steadier work? Working for someone else is always a trade-off between personal freedom and some sort of benefit. Perhaps you just needed a reminder of why you were self-employed in the first place. It's not as if you were in the Army. Your presence is not required. Quit. (And for fun, see my sig)

Heh, work was slow so I took a job that pays HALF of what I was making on my own. Speaking with the electrician on the first day, he couldn't pay his rent with this job and was only getting 2-3 days a week for awhile. One big job landed and they went on hiring spree. This will be short-lived. Mark my words...

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
You are surrounded by psychopaths. Throw them under the bus before they cut your throat. LOL

Seen it before. No idea what happened to humanity but they are animals now.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

whyamIhere
reply to post by FlySolo

Learn to blame others...

Unfortunately, I think you're right. Why is that do you think? Do people seriously not see through that?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This is exactly how they want us, it stops us from ganging up on them and demanding to be treated (and paid) decently.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

FlySolo

whyamIhere
reply to post by FlySolo

Learn to blame others...

Unfortunately, I think you're right. Why is that do you think? Do people seriously not see through that?

My comment was flippant...

I have not worked for anyone but myself for thirty years.

I suggest you get back to it. You will never make real money working for anybody.

You are obviously intelligent enough to do your own thing.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I myself envy you very much for being able to say that you even have a job. What I am getting sick and tired of is doing my part to look for a job and just getting ignored. I am tired of finding a possible job, doing what I am supposed to do in responding quickly either by e-mail, phone, or whatever, and not getting a damn response!!! Now how in the hell am I supposed to keep my chin up and have a good attitude when this is all I get in response? No wonder people just drop out of the process and quit looking for work! It is so frustrating to get your hopes up after being unemployed for so long and then just getting another door slammed in your face! Maybe being homeless and scrounging through garbage cans for food is what I should look forward to because trying to get employed anymore seems to be a frikkin joke!!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Thanks man. That's probably the most encouraging thing anyone has said to me on ATS.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by curiousme333

What's your employment background if I may ask?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Your first mistake is thinking that corporations reward good workers.

They are not free market businesses that need good solid workers with all of the skills you listed above.

in fact, all of those people doing all of those things you just stated will move up faster than you will. They will get paid more. They will get better recommendations and depending on field, better bonuses.

In a world where laws and governments haven't created the monster that is a corporation, businesses would resemble small businesses. The ones full of incompetent sharks that eat all of the people who helped them get there would wind up failing because those same people would eventually just put them out of business later in the future.

That's also known as a free market system. Incompetence cannot be rewarded indefinitely.

In a cartel system that's cemented through law, that's not how it works.

The sooner you throw your coworkers under bus and one up them every chance, the faster you will move up and get more raises.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

The sooner you throw your coworkers under bus and one up them every chance, the faster you will move up and get more raises.

I can't do that. I can't be a part of that game and I'm not cut from the same cloth. Guess that's why I have been thinking of this recently.

<<   2 >>

join