It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Performance in vain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
was just wondering about this. I'm the type of person to stay in the shadows, and only act with confident purpose. I don't think it is necessarily wrong to want to be seen, and perform for others. I believe I do it myself sometimes, but I think it is usually in vain. Even when I feel glorified by others for my actions, I feel humiliated for it, as if their intentions were mislead in vainglory.

Is there anyone who could give me some advice on the subject?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
bah, didn't mean to post this in rants, oh well.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

Hey Jarring!
Getting attention doesn't have to be 'in vain'...it's all about your motive. I play the fool to make other people laugh, not because I need the attention. A lot of people are uncomfortable in the spotlight, and when I make them laugh they feel more relaxed.

It's okay that this is in 'Rant'....just go edit your OP, throw in a few *&@#* (like you're swearing), and voila! you have a rant! (lol)
jacygirl

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

Typical of most men my age I first had to look up How to use vainglory in a sentence.
Then I had to look up the definition??? Page 637 hum.... Lets see... here it is, under how to be annoying...

Look we all like to be reminded of our glory days, relay our minor victories over a beer and a good story.

If your gonna do it at least make it a funny story... because those people who are like all full of themselves... are really, really annoying to us normal folks
edit on 24-1-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

jacygirl
reply to post by Jarring

Hey Jarring!
Getting attention doesn't have to be 'in vain'...it's all about your motive. I play the fool to make other people laugh, not because I need the attention. A lot of people are uncomfortable in the spotlight, and when I make them laugh they feel more relaxed.

It's okay that this is in 'Rant'....just go edit your OP, throw in a few *&@#* (like you're swearing), and voila! you have a rant! (lol)
jacygirl

thankyou for the response. it just seems to me that wanting attention in itself is a trait of vanity...like...logically, everything i do is in vain. sometimes i feel as if we are vain by intelligent design. but it just aggravates the hell out of me. i can't help but think about it all the time. think think think, what else is there any reason to #ing think. i have to perform meditatively just because i have to think so much. i rarely ever think about what i'm doing while i'm doing it.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

Would it wrong of me to propose that sometimes people are put in the spot light by proxy of their greatness, for example if people want to achieve great things in and of themselves sometimes this will lead to vanity i.e. Einstein, Bill Gates, Ghandi etc.

Now if you are talking purely entertainers/performers from musicians to magicians to dancers to actors, perhaps there is a percentage who want attention and acclaim and to be in the spotlight more then they love the art and craft and their mastery of it, perhaps it is not so black and white and there is a mixture of wanting to be a great actor and author and in order to be successful at that you need to become popular, which means grabbing the attention of a large enough quantity of individuals to allow you to pursue your art. Sure there are exceptions and rules but this is my take on it at least.

I understand the nature of your inquire though and it is something I have pondered myself. If those sorts of people who depend on so many others to consume their work and personality to exist, is this a situation where they cannot be satisfied with their own personal gratification from themselves, they need others to insure their value and worth? I dont think anything about this topic is too cut and dry, I think the examples and real world activity in practice is across the board and filling gradients and spectrum. Maybe there are 3 elements usually included that have to be considered 1. The skill/craft/form of entertainment/art. 2. Level of fame/attention. 3. Money/fortune.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

well, i'm not saying that all people who are glorified are vain simply because they were glorified. it's not that simple.
it would be a part of their mentality when producing such works, as their success comes from trial, error, and experience. just as failure leads to success, vanity leads to failure. so one must logically be always working in vain if one attempts to succeed.

any moment of grief is preceded by vanity, just as much as any moment of success. it may not always be noticeable in their intentions, but any moment of success is self-righteous, and in vain. even the sincerest acts of humility pose in a position of self-righteousness as if to shy away from responsibility.

new topics

top topics

join