It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NPR: Millions Of People Are Quitting Their Jobs Every Month. That's Good News.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Wouldn't there need to also be an equal rate of growth for this to be good? I mean, for it to be good there would need to be an overwhelming increase in job growth considering the state of our labor market. Or am I using too much logic and old math where 1+1=2? And what about the increase of families on food stamps? Are people just giving up by the millions each month?

"It might hard to imagine in this sputtering recovery, but 2.4 million people actually quit their jobs in November, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. That's nearly a million more quitters than there were during the darkest months of the recession."

The article opens with a grammatical error. FB NPR fans are jumping on board with this great news! Am I missing something?

Propaganda article

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by raedar

Usually people quit jobs when they don't feel as trapped by current situation.

That's why it's good news.

In other words, you are less likely to quit job when economy is in tank. When more people start quitting it can be an indicator of better conditions.

Kind of how the divorce rate goes up when recession lifts.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by raedar

Perhaps they have all won the Nigerian Lottery.

Or received an email about a bogus work from home job (I did, lol).
edit on 1/24/2014 by csulli456 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   

OrphanApology
reply to post by raedar

Good - seems like all the good ones are taken.

As soon as this recession lifts I can find the right one.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Maybe people are quitting their jobs because they can't make it on minimum wage with only 24 hours a work week AND buy mandatory health coverage.

It would be more lucrative to just go on full assistance. At least that eliminates the exorbitant deductible and copay.

I wondered where all those people came from that signed up for the ACA!

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by raedar

I hate
JOB

Its like Facebook or the old Yahjew Chat rooms.

Pay me something stupid like ya pay your other jrkOFFs (40 mil per month) I will work. Otherwise consider yourself HUNTED.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by csulli456

Or the wrong one. Most divorces are initiated by women and they wait until the recession lifts to do so. I guess if you think having a woman who views you as an expendable work horse...maybe...

If you're a woman, then you'll just be left with a bunch of suckers paying alimony.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   

OrphanApology
reply to post by raedar

Usually people quit jobs when they don't feel as trapped by current situation.

That's why it's good news.

In other words, you are less likely to quit job when economy is in tank. When more people start quitting it can be an indicator of better conditions.

I can see the logic, but in true math wouldn't there need to be job growth in order for it to balance? Seems like propaganda. Less is more. Everything is finnnnnnne.....

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

nugget1
Maybe people are quitting their jobs because they can't make it on minimum wage with only 24 hours a work week AND buy mandatory health coverage.

It would be more lucrative to just go on full assistance. At least that eliminates the exorbitant deductible and copay.

I wondered where all those people came from that signed up for the ACA!

Yep.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I had a fair number of jobs growing up and before I settled into trucking as a career. Like most younger people, I sure screwed the pooch a few times too. The poor thing just howled over what an idiot I was for a few...but again, age allows for it, although I might have abused the privileged a little from time to time.

The thing is, no matter how hard I screwed up? (i.e... Calling the Kremlin directly in the 1980's to sell them a newspaper subscription...and hey, we all thought it was funny until OUR Government called the paper to complain) I was never fired from a job. Not once.

They made sure I quit. Every time. They insured my life and working environment became so miserable I HAD to quit. Why?? If an employee quits, there is nothing more. That's it. Bye bye and have a nice life.

If an employee is FIRED however, there is a fair to better than even chance of collecting unemployment. That reflects upon and costs the employer, directly. (I learned that in detail when I started into and dropped an appeal to my own claim a few years ago).

So it's in every employers best interest to NEVER fire someone, if they can help it. Just make them miserable enough to quit. Hence.... taking quit numbers as positive is no more a sure thing than the opposite, which is just as likely to be true, IMO.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by raedar

It's not really about job growth but rather the perception of being able to find a new position, or already having one which is why more people are quitting. Being able to freely switch jobs, quit jobs etc. is one of the first indicators of economy picking up.

Also, companies that specialize in men's underwear tend to show greater sales after recessions because men don't buy new underwear as much when they are on hard times. TMI but thought you'd want to know. LOL.

The last one is actually one I wrote a paper on to predict how the economy was doing and was able to be pretty close to the math whizzes in the class. I feel special. Who knew skid marks and holey underwear were great economic indicators?
edit on 24-1-2014 by OrphanApology because: D

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

So by that meausre of thought - no divorced person could be a suitable mate?

It seems half the population has divorced at least once in their lifetime.

Not saying I disagree with your statement that does bare some logical sense to it - just that on the other hand it doesn't make much logical sense if you now what I mean.

Just so you know - I was only making a snarky reply to which you responded to - but this is a good debateale point of view none the less.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

Excellent point.

People aren't making enough money to keep fuel in their gas tanks to enable them to drive back and forth to work or they can't afford the busfare.

Either way this is just splendid news - keep up the great work Congress and all you other great working politicians who care about the working class.

What was that famous saying "a food stamp in every wallet"....

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   

I don't really know how dateable divorcees are one way or the other. I am a lesbian and live in Texas so I haven't had to deal with any of that. Guess that could be seen as a curse or a blessing.

There is a trend in the U.S. of high divorce rates and the law seems to make divorce lucrative more often than not. So it's definitely something people should be watched out for, especially men since it seems they get the short stick most of the time. Keep in mind the number sits at 2/3 filed by women.

There's always pre-nups though I suppose.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by raedar

2.4 million people actually quit their jobs in November, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

I have a question. Does that number get factored into the number of "jobs created" in a month? I mean, shouldn't there be 2.4 million open jobs out there, in addition to the say 200,000 jobs created on the BLS report the first Friday of each month? (The 200,000 is a random number, not actually pulled out of last months job report)

Okay, maybe not all the 2.4 million are actually still open, since some businesses close and don't have a position to hire for anymore. Lets say .4 million people quit because of business closings. That leaves 2 million, in addition to the 200,000 number. Still, does that 2 million get factored into "jobs created"?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

OrphanApology

Or the wrong one. Most divorces are initiated by women and they wait until the recession lifts to do so. I guess if you think having a woman who views you as an expendable work horse...maybe...

If you're a woman, then you'll just be left with a bunch of suckers paying alimony.

so angry....so so angry

was it daddy or hubby that hurt you?

Not all guys are bad you know?.....

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

What are you talking about?

Nowhere in my post did I make a comment on men being bad. I was commenting on divorcees because the previous poster said he/she was waiting because more people would be available. Get a grip.

Also my parents were wonderful and were together for 27 years, may they rest in peace.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

OrphanApology

I don't really know how dateable divorcees are one way or the other. I am a lesbian and live in Texas so I haven't had to deal with any of that. Guess that could be seen as a curse or a blessing.

You think that's a curse - try being a lesbian trapped in a man's body..........

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Maybe. Do you own any flannel shirts by chance?

lol

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Actually yes I do.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join