It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Element Powered GUN

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
if he had a elemt powered gun..like hydrogen oxygen or uranium and helium powered guns ...it would defineanetly be more powerful then any gun we've seen today, the question.. Can it be done? and the wars were having today.. we are waisting thosands of clips an hour..if we wanted to make element powered guns..theres a negative side...and positive..posivite is that we would have more powerful guns then any nation..negative is taht the waist of elements taht we will need in the future...question? comments? reply with thoughts

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Sorry, your post doesn't seem to make sense to me. What would uranium and heilum be for? Uranium heating the helium and using it to propel a projectile? The hydrogen oxygen idea isn't very practical, there are people who use that combination in potato guns. Also, why would a gun like that reduce ammunition usage? Also, how would we be wasting these elements? They would still be there, just as a compound (unless it is helium, with no compunds YET. Soon there will be, they made compounds with other noble gases.) Please explain what you mean, I don't get it.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The only thing i can think of that the poster is pointing too, is some sort of Mass Driver. Ie: using Em propulsion to fire either a solid chunk of something, or a superheated gas.

As to actual power coming from an "element", well, as everthing is made up of elements, then even guns today fall into this category...power from gunpowder is just the end result of a slow burning explosion which in turn is just a chemical reaction between certain elements.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
You get the prize for the dumbest post I've ever encountered on this board. Please spend a couple of years reading physics books and try to post again.

Elementally Yours,

Aelita PhD Nuclear Physics

Originally posted by Transmission Deployment
if he had a elemt powered gun..like hydrogen oxygen or uranium and helium powered guns ...it would defineanetly be more powerful then any gun we've seen today, the question.. Can it be done? and the wars were having today.. we are waisting thosands of clips an hour..if we wanted to make element powered guns..theres a negative side...and positive..posivite is that we would have more powerful guns then any nation..negative is taht the waist of elements taht we will need in the future...question? comments? reply with thoughts

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I am curious why weapons manufacturers still think in "projectiles." It is much more efficient using biological or chemical agents that "grows" exponentially to kill.

Projectile seems so antiquated.

I guess it's the child like fascination in seeing someone blow up or incinerate.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Aelita,

You have not given us an alternative as to why it would not work, you just said that he was uneducated in the field of Physics. Maybe this chap plays to many video-games and surmised this notion of "elemental weapons" from them.

Deep

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   

if he had a elemt powered gun..like hydrogen oxygen or uranium and helium powered guns ...it would defineanetly be more powerful then any gun we've seen today

No.

The ability of pure elements to cause an explosion is often less than that of a compound. However, you want a CONTROLLED explosion for launching the bullet. Setting off a nuclear bomb to launch one bullet is awfully ineffective.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
You have not given us an alternative as to why it would not work, you just said that he was uneducated in the field of Physics. Maybe this chap plays to many video-games and surmised this notion of "elemental weapons" from them.

Video games make a poor tech guide, actually (cf BMG-9000 in the original Doom vide game).

"Uranium and helium powered weapons" just sounds hilarious to my untrained ear. How about Platinum and Xenon powered weapons? I think they would kick some major @ss

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
LOL yeah really. someone at school asked me to build a tesla coil gun because he saw it in a video game! he thought it was real, too!

[edit on 21-11-2004 by DanD9]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Guys, i majored in physics dudes...www.abovetopsecret.com...
thats my work, check it out...if you could understand it

Moderator Note: Boldy claiming others work as your own is against the Terms and Conditions of Use. Specifically:

1.) You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.

Also note that quoting others without crediting their work is plagiarism and is forbidden as well.

[edit on 23-11-2004 by dbates]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Uhh, why are you people making fun of him. Do any of you have a degree in particle physics There are weapons in use that use elements, albeit elements comprise every single object. The fact is, he is right, and wrong. There are element powered weapons such as the gattling gun on an A-10 Thunderbolt which fires 3900 rounds a MINUTE They use depleted uranium. I suggest some of you catch up on your reading, for the last 20 years.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I suspect this is an issue of chemistry more so than merely physics.

I think he may be talking about weapons that either use exotic materials or perhaps even Energy based weapons.

DU rounds come to mind as far as exotic (and hazardous) materials. However they are still merely a flying sword point. On the other hand say one were to devise a weapon that somehow uses nanotech to create an exotic field(pick one) generator that would produce say, heated plasma or discharged electricity then I would have to agree that would be pretty wild.

Gluon Gun anyone?

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 05:44 AM
link   
www.metalstorm.com has some fascinating technology going on.

how about: "In Metal Storm weapons, there are no mechanical steps to slow the rate, and this has resulted in demonstrated burst rates in excess of one million rounds per minute from a 36 barrel weapon."

-1.000.000 rounds is ALOT in just one minute.

-But it is still only a piercing spearhead.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   
The they differ greatly in appearance are rail guns
(guns that use an electrical impulse to propel projectiles.)
just a heavily modified more controlled tesla coil.
Maybe I am wrong but both work on electrical principal
and both use large conrtolled charge for projectile propulsion.

geo

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
How can a weapon fire all these projectiles without overheating?
With a sooo biiigg number of projectiles in a minute, it would be like a beam

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Guys, i majored in physics dudes...www.abovetopsecret.com...
thats my work, check it out...if you could understand it

Transmission Deployment,
I'm not so sure about your authenticity here...

You see, there's this thing called plagiarism and unless your name is Gordon England, a metallurgist and consultant to the thermal spray coating industry in the UK - then you sir are a phoney.

What you have posted in your referenced link on ATS is a verbatim copy of Gordon England's web site which has absolutely nothing to do with bomb making and everything to do with using plasma to adhere coatings to industrial equipment.
Here is the link to his web page: "Plasma Flame Theory: Plasma Thermal Spray Coating Process"

As you say, "If you could understand..." Well, IF you could understand what Gordon England wrote on his web site you would understand that there is nothing here that deals with a new kind of bomb as you imply.

[edit on 23-11-2004 by intelgurl]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
What about hydrogen as a combustion agent? Use hydrogen plus ambient oxy and a very high pressure chamber of some sort. The ammunition could then be just the metal slugs with refillable canisters for propellant. Work a lot like a piston on a regular gasoline engine.

Make manufacturing of ammunition much simpler and cheaper, transportation and storage would be much simplified as the rounds are just inert lead or steel. It would also cut down on cleaning / jamming of the weapon as even modern powders start to cake after firing.

To refill propellant, just hookup a portable Hyrogen extractor to any military power source and add water. Water is already shipped to each unit so no big logistics change to make it work.

Perhaps hydrogen is not reactive enough to get a good push with a reasonable about of the element?

Also, same hydrogen could be used to power fuel cell to power all those gizmos the soldiers are using...

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by poirot
How can a weapon fire all these projectiles without overheating?
With a sooo biiigg number of projectiles in a minute, it would be like a beam

3900 rounds per minute is simply the firing rate. The gattling gun's drum capacity on the A-10 is at about 1500 rounds. If you fired the gun for only a half second you have dispersed 32 rounds, for 4 seconds 260 rounds. There is no need to shoot for a straight minute.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Oh, and for guns that can fire excesivly like at 1million rounds per minute, I don't believe they actually fire them for a straight minute either, maybe a second or two.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join