It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should immortality be only available to the Wealthy.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Sovaka
reply to post by NavyDoc

Just because they benefited from what they established... Doesn't lessen the fact that the information is now out there for anyone to use freely.
Complete with guides and instructions on how to replicate and get up and running.

That's the whole idea behind open source and that is one of the motivators out there for open source projects.
To create something that you can benefit from, while at the same time, giving it out to everyone that wants it as well for free.

Being able to profit from something you give away for free takes a lot more skill and effort then making something and selling it.

It's the main argument the MPAA and RIAA use against pirates... They are stealing our content and we aren't getting anything for it.

Yet open sources may receive income or royalties and yet the people down the line still get the end product for free.
Or as free as they can get depending on the resources they have on hand.

Your whole argument of 'but the people are getting money out of it' is moot.

The point of the argument is that the product is developed by groups of people (applying their time for free), and then everyone who is interested, benefits without having to pay a cent.

You don't make a lot of sense. The premise of that people do things for free, expecting nothing back, is false in all of your examples.

Yes, once something is discovered, other people use it. That's been my whole point.

Thus, you make no sense at all.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
In the political and capitalistic world we live in today. Imortality would only be given to people who would serve the interest of the political end capitalistic system. The system we live by dont need us around for a long time, as long as we are putting children into this world. The system will own them as soon as they are within school age.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

It isn't at all.

Thousands of people have contributed to Linux and haven't received a cent.
Thousands have contributed to 3D Printer R&D and haven't received a cent.

Through all open source projects, the only ones that make any money are those requesting money to pay for the replication.
This is generally through a test phase where they are trying to replicate as much as possible to ensure that what they had done wasn't a fluke or to ensure that it is as what they believe.

You're the one who isn't making any sense or even looking at the subject matter with any logic or common sense.

If you reply to this post in negative of what I've said without reason or logic, then I will report your actions to moderators.

Only a fool would think that every open source project where someone contributes, they get paid something.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Sovaka
reply to post by NavyDoc

It isn't at all.

Thousands of people have contributed to Linux and haven't received a cent.
Thousands have contributed to 3D Printer R&D and haven't received a cent.

Through all open source projects, the only ones that make any money are those requesting money to pay for the replication.
This is generally through a test phase where they are trying to replicate as much as possible to ensure that what they had done wasn't a fluke or to ensure that it is as what they believe.

You're the one who isn't making any sense or even looking at the subject matter with any logic or common sense.

If you reply to this post in negative of what I've said without reason or logic, then I will report your actions to moderators.

Only a fool would think that every open source project where someone contributes, they get paid something.

Again? Another person with a position so devoid of logic and reason that he'd report a dissenting opinion like an East German stasi? The developers of Linux did not get any gain from their work? The developers and engineers that brought us 3d printing did all of that work for nothing? [snip]

edit on 24-1-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

NavyDoc

Sovaka
reply to post by NavyDoc

What a load of crap.

It has been proven over and over that innovation comes from those that do the work for free.

Millions of people around the world apply their free time to open source projects year after year because they want to contribute to something they love and enjoy doing.

I am literally floored at such a comment.
edit on 24/1/2014 by Sovaka because: (no reason given)

LOL. You must be sarcastic. Please point out great innovations that people did for absolutely nothing in return.

Well here are two examples.

I am sure there are many more examples in sciences if one wanted to actually research it.

Benjamin Franklin

en.wikipedia.org...

Franklin was a prodigious inventor. Among his many creations were the lightning rod, glass armonica (a glass instrument, not to be confused with the metal harmonica), Franklin stove, bifocal glasses and the flexible urinary catheter. Franklin never patented his inventions; in his autobiography he wrote, "... as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and this we should do freely and generously."[22]

His inventions also included social innovations, such as paying forward. Franklin's fascination with innovation could be viewed as altruistic; he wrote that his scientific works were to be used for increasing efficiency and human improvement. One such improvement was his effort to expedite news services through his printing presses.[23]

Jonas Salk

en.wikipedia.org...

In 1947, Salk accepted an appointment to the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. In 1948, he undertook a project funded by the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis to determine the number of different types of polio virus. Salk saw an opportunity to extend this project towards developing a vaccine against polio, and, together with the skilled research team he assembled, devoted himself to this work for the next seven years. The field trial set up to test the Salk vaccine was, according to O'Neill, "the most elaborate program of its kind in history, involving 20,000 physicians and public health officers, 64,000 school personnel, and 220,000 volunteers." Over 1,800,000 school children took part in the trial.[4]

When news of the vaccine's success was made public on April 12, 1955, Salk was hailed as a "miracle worker," and the day "almost became a national holiday." His sole focus had been to develop a safe and effective vaccine as rapidly as possible, with no interest in personal profit. When he was asked in a televised interview who owned the patent to the vaccine, Salk replied: "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?"[5]

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Gates had become fabulously wealthy, whereas Torvalds was making close to nothing from his free software. He was subsisting only on an average programmer's salary, and he and his family were living in a modest duplex in an ordinary neighborhood. Actually, Torvalds was never really interested in accumulating wealth or power, and he has contended all along that what counts most for the best programmers is the joy of programming and being creative. In his own words, he did it all "just for fun." Nevertheless, he was subsequently rewarded with both wealth and power, and he has not been reluctant to admit that money has its advantages.

Source: www.linfo.org...

Your post has been reported for argument without merit.

Good day.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

worldly/physical immortality is a curse.
being trapped in the same identity for centuries, not a good idea, imho.

i'm perfectly fine with them being the only owners to those technologies (if the techs do exist).

peace
edit on 24-1-2014 by dodol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

prisoneronashipoffools

NavyDoc

Sovaka
reply to post by NavyDoc

What a load of crap.

It has been proven over and over that innovation comes from those that do the work for free.

Millions of people around the world apply their free time to open source projects year after year because they want to contribute to something they love and enjoy doing.

I am literally floored at such a comment.
edit on 24/1/2014 by Sovaka because: (no reason given)

LOL. You must be sarcastic. Please point out great innovations that people did for absolutely nothing in return.

Well here are two examples.

I am sure there are many more examples in sciences if one wanted to actually research it.

Benjamin Franklin

en.wikipedia.org...

Franklin was a prodigious inventor. Among his many creations were the lightning rod, glass armonica (a glass instrument, not to be confused with the metal harmonica), Franklin stove, bifocal glasses and the flexible urinary catheter. Franklin never patented his inventions; in his autobiography he wrote, "... as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and this we should do freely and generously."[22]

His inventions also included social innovations, such as paying forward. Franklin's fascination with innovation could be viewed as altruistic; he wrote that his scientific works were to be used for increasing efficiency and human improvement. One such improvement was his effort to expedite news services through his printing presses.[23]

Jonas Salk

en.wikipedia.org...

In 1947, Salk accepted an appointment to the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. In 1948, he undertook a project funded by the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis to determine the number of different types of polio virus. Salk saw an opportunity to extend this project towards developing a vaccine against polio, and, together with the skilled research team he assembled, devoted himself to this work for the next seven years. The field trial set up to test the Salk vaccine was, according to O'Neill, "the most elaborate program of its kind in history, involving 20,000 physicians and public health officers, 64,000 school personnel, and 220,000 volunteers." Over 1,800,000 school children took part in the trial.[4]

When news of the vaccine's success was made public on April 12, 1955, Salk was hailed as a "miracle worker," and the day "almost became a national holiday." His sole focus had been to develop a safe and effective vaccine as rapidly as possible, with no interest in personal profit. When he was asked in a televised interview who owned the patent to the vaccine, Salk replied: "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?"[5]

Franklin never gained anything from his innovations? He sold his almanac, he patented the lightning rod. He had income and acclaim from his endeavors.

Salk had a tenured position, awards, and acclaim from his work. We still remember his name today.

Neither did anything completely without reward of some sort.

(post by NavyDoc removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

***ATTENTION ***

The back-and-forth bickering and personal attacks stop now. Discuss the subject matter, not the individual. Any further infractions beyond this point could result in suspension of posting privileges or more.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

If you have proof that Franklin patented the lightning rod I would love to see it. I am sure you can link your source. As far as most of what I have read Franklin never patented a single invention and even PBS seems to say this as well.

www.pbs.org...

Franklin was one of the most practical inventors in history. He built many devices that were designed to help improve or solve everyday problems. Some of his inventions, like bifocal glasses, are well-known, while others are more obscure. Of the numerous inventions Franklin created, he did not patent a single one. Franklin believed that "As we benefit from the inventions of others, we should be glad to share our own...freely and gladly."

In any case you can believe what you want, but they most certainly were not motivated by profit.....if they would have been then they would have patented their inventions and reaped massive profits. Salk invented a vaccine to eradicate polio, you know how much that would have been worth in his day. Hell he could have made a fortune only protecting the children of the rich, but oh yeah he didn't.

As for the rewards and accolades those were all after the fact and were not their main motivation, as their own quotes which I posted attest.

edit on 24-1-2014 by prisoneronashipoffools because: edited to remove anything that could be construed as snarkiness

edit on 24-1-2014 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

prisoneronashipoffools

As for the rewards and accolades those were all after the fact and were not their main motivation. And you would know that if you actually read the quotes of those two individuals I included in my post.

This is what I said above in my own way and yet the post was scrubbed.

Open source projects have never been about the intent to accumulate wealth or power.
Just because the projects designer received either or both after the fact is just icing on the cake for them.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
It will remain that way, and I am personally okay with that. I spent many a years thinking and wishing on being eternal, never aging, but lately i'm like... ehhh!

I don't ever begrudge anyone for simply being rich, many rich men and woman donate and do great things for the world, many don't. But the people who are going to be given longer life are only a select few, certain families, organizations etc... The ones in control, who want to control us, will remain that way evil is too ingrained in them.

I think that eternal life spent with these people sounds horribly dreadful. I do not know exactly what happens when I die but I do believe that my energy/soul will move on to something better..... a place without the iron grip chains of earth

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

I think that eternal life spent with these people sounds horribly dreadful. I do not know exactly what happens when I die but I do believe that my energy/soul will move on to something better..... a place without the iron grip chains of earth

I hope your right but what if its the opposite and its a world of concrete you are aware but cant move at all.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Then i'll close my eyes and rest awhile!

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
If I pretended that immortality in the flesh in this world was desirable, then what is being proposed in this thread is that we would be perpetually dominated and enslaved by the very same evil demiurges mascarading as our leaders, extremely abusive satanic beings. There may be a few good amongst the wealthy but.......most are the universes worst offenders, and yet they should be rewarded rather than imprisoned? I can't wait for people to wake up! Prisoners would be released, except for the extremely dangerous, and the spots reserved for them until they are taken off in spirit. And that does mean not to pray for them or have compassion. Serve and Protect and Love are both needed.
edit on 24-1-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Ok, oops. I noticed I dropped a word. I didn't mean to imply one shouldn't send prayers and intercessions to the elite/leaders/etc. It's that both are important, both mercy and compassion and serve and protect.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join