It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Meltdown Followers: What Would YOU Do In This Situation?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Hey Everybody,

I want to post this under "Global Meltdown" but know it'll move over here anyway...

My situation is that I have $5K (US dollars) as "play money" to do whatever I see fit with it. I understand that this play money is peanuts to some of you, and to others, it is not.

My self-imposed deadline to do something with this money is 4/01/14.

As a "golden-mean" (no pun intended) type person, I would like to avoid the extremes of: 1. Stuffing the cash beneath my mattress, or 2. Sticking it all in one place, i.e., a particular stock...

For reference, all other financial bases are covered at the moment (& hopefully until my physical death). Yet, as we all know, nothing is for sure anymore...

So, what would you do, all things being equal, if you had the $5,000 US to playa with before April? I know It'll come to me sooner or later, but it never hurts to hear others perspectives.

Thanks in advance for your ideas & suggestions....

Positive thoughts to all,
BS

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by BurningSpearess

Hiya,
I'd spend half of it on things my family needs/desires (clothes, toys, etc.) ,and even if I had enough money, I'd still put the other half away for a rainy day.

Or save it as holiday money for a nice trip somewhere.

And congratulations on your extra 'pocket money'.

edit on 23/1/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Help people who are in need. Or if any of your family needs help.
And with whatever you have left, take a trip like rainbowresidue said. Trips are always nice and it's good to get away if you have the money to do so.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

BurningSpearess

For reference, all other financial bases are covered at the moment

well if all other financial bases are covered, provide for those in need.

be the change you want to see (unless this doesn't apply either)

preferably on a personal, individual basis - not giving to a charity
edit on 1309x6713America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Rainbowresidue

Hiya,
I'd spend half of it on things my family needs/desires (clothes, toys, etc.) ,and even if I had enough money, I'd still put the other half away for a rainy day.

Or save it as holiday money for a nice trip somewhere.

And congratulations on your extra 'pocket money'.

Thanks for your response & incredible suggestions

I'm certain that your family is blessed as they have someone so giving looking out for them!

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Get in a bidding war over something completely trivial on eBay and don't stop until you win

Don't $$$$top bidding!!!

But serously there is nothing wrong with having $5000 in various denomonations secreted away in a spot that only YOU know about......and a place where you can grab it on the go.

Just in case of something unexpected.

edit on 23-1-2014 by grubblesnert because: spellin'

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Well, personally I would do a few things...but a few people would have to be willing to give up their livelyhoods and start completely from scratch in a new land.

1. Buy tickets for myself and anyone whom I loved to fly to a warmer climate (non-US). I assume this would be about 4 people including myself as no one seems to want to give up their precious belongings in my circle of family/friends. So I am estimating about $2,000 for the tickets.
2. Use some of the remaining cash to buy piece of land with or without a home, and near fresh water. The piece of land has to be larger enough to have hardwoods trees available at all times, and a temperate climate. Preferably in any country that doesn't have land taxes. Est. about $1,000-2,000 depending on the nation and costs. For some reason land is exponentially cheaper in third world countries.
3. The leftover money would be spent on the tools needed to maintain a structure and anything useful for hunting or fishing that could last for decades. Books are also considered tools. It is a broad term.

That is just one scenario and it has plenty of limitations and challenges.
But I welcome both and see it as an opportunity to start fresh somewhere there isn't a cold winter. After time, jobs could be acquired to further financial gain but my initial goal would be to rid myself of any need for money.

Just a personal goal.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

natalia

Help people who are in need. Or if any of your family needs help.
And with whatever you have left, take a trip like rainbowresidue said. Trips are always nice and it's good to get away if you have the money to do so.

Thanks for your suggestions. Although we haven't talked before, I recognized your name & remembered some of your posts...they have so cheered me up many days...

Likewise, your family & friends are lucky to have you in RL!
Hugs

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
1. I would pay off debt.

2. Help friends and family.

3. Go on a vacation.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Hmm, I don't know. I'll have to think about it.
What would G. Washington do?

Geez I have no clue.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I would go grocery shopping and stock up on some good non perishable foods.
I would take a portion of that to drop off at the food bank. Then I would dig out my running tool wish list and purchase one of the more expensive items on that list, or a few smaller ones. I would go buy socks and underwear for boys, they trash them so fast. Then I would load up and go on as much of a road trip as the rest would allow. But that's just me.

Enjoy your windfall!

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

The crucial thing that ought to inform your choice, is this. What preparations have you made for an uncertain future? Have you got savings, have you got good physical perimeter security in your home? If the answer to these is yes, then think about the people you know. Do you know anyone who has been dealt a bad hand? Could that money be used to improve the life of someone you know and care about?

I have to say, I have never had money like that to play with. Whatever you do with it, be wise.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

six67seven

BurningSpearess

For reference, all other financial bases are covered at the moment

well if all other financial bases are covered, provide for those in need.

be the change you want to see (unless this doesn't apply either)

preferably on a personal, individual basis - not giving to a charity
edit on 1309x6713America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

The love & concern for others/positive change on ATS is awesome.

Great suggestions, IMO...

I am somewhat skeptical of charities too, given what I have seen first hand in the Mid-East with UN, UNICEF,..

edit on 23-1-2014 by BurningSpearess because: Typing

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Haha!

I didn't realize that you literally have this money to spend...I was thinking hypothetically.

Pay off any debts incurred during the last few years. Go to dinner with a loved one and buy someone's dinner for them. Have a night on the town and buy drinks around for the night. Pay off someone's credit card debt. Pay down any car loan. Buy some nice survival gear! Help the needy by spending money on clothing for those that truly can't afford winter clothes. Help someone pay their heating bills. Save a few animals from a shelter.

If it was me, I would absolutely save it for a "rainy day" fund. You never know when cash is needed for a repair, sudden accident, or housing issue. Having a cash fund at home is a great way to guarantee yourself out of a jamb. Sometimes family comes calling for an unwanted expenditure and you may want to help them. Future savings that aren't inside a gov't controlled/regulated bank.

Sorry I didn't fully comprehend the initial post...

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

TorqueyThePig
1. I would pay off debt.

3. Go on a vacation.

Yikes! knowing what line of work my friend Torquey is in I'm glad I did'nt add to my suggestions.....

!. fake passport
2. fake D.L.
3. burnup (nontraceable) cell phone
4. hair dye
5. dark sunglasses
6. glue on mustache (for the men, well...I guess ladies too!?!)

to go along with you "grab and go" cash stash idea!!

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Interesting question, OP. Personally, I would buy a lot of water and MREs, probably at least $500 worth. The rest, I would wait until the market drops through the floor (at its current high, it has nowhere else to go IMO), and then scoop up stocks for pennies on the dollar. Best to wait until a big drop, though. You can also short certain stocks ahead of time (as Joseph P. Kennedy did, thanks to his insider information), but that's a bit more tricky.

That way, if you hit it big, you'd have a lot more money to help people. However, I'm a bit of a gambler at heart.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Buy my oldest a new ( to her.. it would be used) car. At least help her out with one. Getting on your feet here is hard.. and her car is a bomb. SHe has a good job, but that darned car of hers has broken down one too many times.

or

Get the husband something he wants/needs. He wants a john boat. He needs a new riding mower.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

woodsmom

I would go grocery shopping and stock up on some good non perishable foods.
I would take a portion of that to drop off at the food bank. Then I would dig out my running tool wish list and purchase one of the more expensive items on that list, or a few smaller ones. I would go buy socks and underwear for boys, they trash them so fast. Then I would load up and go on as much of a road trip as the rest would allow. But that's just me.

Enjoy your windfall!

Already check to the above you generously listed, have already allocated for... But, I don't have children & have wanted them so consider yourself blessed dear. I do try to help out with my sibling's families, though...

I'm full-time employed so road trips can only come during the summer -- those are already allocated for.

So happy to hear your suggestions.

edit on 23-1-2014 by BurningSpearess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
It's only $5000. If you have no debts and you don't need anything, I'd save it for emergencies.
It always recommended that there be at least 3 months living expenses saved for emergencies, in case of job loss, or illness, or other unexpected problems that life throws at us sometimes.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

TorqueyThePig
1. I would pay off debt.

3. Go on a vacation.

1. Check. 2. Check & 3. Check - all under covered allocations...

But, may the laws of positive thinking & karma be on your side

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join