It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Privacy report finds NSA spying illegal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

he National Security Agency’s telephone metadata program is illegal, a majority of the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight board has concluded.

The board is scheduled to officially present its conclusions Thursday afternoon. An early copy of the report was obtained by the New York Times. The board’s report concludes that the metadata program, “lacks a viable legal foundation under Section 215 [of the Patriot Act], implicates constitutional concerns under the First and Fourth Amendments, raises serious threats to privacy and civil liberties as a policy matter, and has shown only limited value.” Three members of the five person board agreed that the government should end the program, saying it was not just ineffective but illegal. The oth

Privacy report finds NSA spying illegal

Well that is interesting now isn't it?

More and more pressure is being put on the NSA, from sources I did not expect. It seems that POTUS and the white house might need to spend a lot of time on getting this out of the lime light, or just dismantling some of these programs entirely.

What do you all think? Does the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight board hold much weight in this fight?

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

It seems more and more apparent that the Judges are getting paid off...

One Judge rules it's legal, another not involved with the case states it's illegal...

This could be an ongoing battle for a long time. Personally I don't think it will ever stop, but it would be nice to know that they have to get some extra clearance from a 3rd party before they have permission to snoop... That alone would be a win for me.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I guess that is good news Tenth?

However, I see it as a Win/Win for TPTB no matter how us serfs perceive it.

Just think. The judicial system actually does it's job for once in the name of the people. FEDS not too happy. Thus they bring in a false flag and the serfs whom screamed for their privacy will now be begging for protection? Sound familiar???

Seems the power of control and manipulation is so far advanced and the mentality of humanity to be allowed to be played like a fiddle has reached a very dangerous peak! Something is about to unleash......

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This is the beginning, at this point only the Judicial branch can save us...

Even the most uninformed people understand that their Freedom is at stake.

Our Founders anticipated this power grab by the Executive branch.

It's must be true, I read it on Facebook...👥
edit on 23-1-2014 by whyamIhere because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

IMO it is a good thing.

Lack of consistency in these rulings means that the Judicial system and the supreme court are going to have a HELL of a time trying to keep the government line.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I believe the more that citizens show outrage, contact your Reps, support the privacy report and bills, etc., there will be more push for action against the NSA. I know that many believe the answer is do nothing, they(the TPTB)will prevail anyway. Well then, there's nothing to lose, since we've already lost right?
edit on 23-1-2014 by dreamingawake because: sp

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Under the constitution the type of institution call NSA and what they are doing is actually unconstitutional, even under the un patriot act, is not debate on that one.

But like everything in this nation most higher court judges positions are actually "politically motivated", and their decisions shows how much motivation are in their rulings.

Because the growing resentment coming from the voters and tax payers this days, we are going to see a shift on the NSA propaganda of acceptance into a heated debate favoring their demise due to upcoming national elections, sadly nothing will be done but just the talking, because after all talking is cheap.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

he National Security Agency’s telephone metadata program is illegal, a majority of the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight board has concluded.

Their a few decades late to the party.

Starting with the telephone in the 20s all the way to the present.

Then there is the matter of Government knowing what you were reading when you checked books out of the library.

Then there is Echelon.

Now there is the internets,cell phones, and 'smart appliances'.

They been spying for a very,very,very,very,very long time.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Yes, but never this amateurish approach.

I long for the day to be spied on by the Professionals.

The entire NSA should be defunded, everybody fired, give spying back to the Pro's.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

The amateurish way that you mention is something to take into consideration, because this shows to the people who or whom are doing the spying this days, since the transition under the watchful and corporate greedy eyes of once Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld into a more privatized government everything, we can not ignore that most of those working for the NSA are actually private interest contracting agencies that are working no only on the agendas of the government and specific political figures but also working for the benefit of what they can get out of the spying themselves.

Spying no only on citizens for data mining information that can be sold to corporations but also spying on political figures, the supreme court and oversea for political leverage.

The NSA is corrupted that is the problem, the original purpose of the agency is no more, now is all for money and leverage, it seems that lately most government agencies are not longer government entities run by the government but privately run entities with agendas of their own and those agendas are run by corruption as the government is becoming powerless on how to control them.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Makes sense...

When they use a Private Company it gives them political cover.

Selling our personal and private information is, or should be criminal.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

iRoyalty

It seems more and more apparent that the Judges are getting paid off...

One Judge rules it's legal, another not involved with the case states it's illegal...

This could be an ongoing battle for a long time. Personally I don't think it will ever stop, but it would be nice to know that they have to get some extra clearance from a 3rd party before they have permission to snoop... That alone would be a win for me.

The FISA judges are not getting paid off.... It's called CYA. They don't want to be on record breaking the Constitution. So they must jump in bed with the agency to say that such measures were necessary....

Besides, they all know that EVERY modern country does this...

new topics

top topics

join