It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghost Ship heading for UK

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Annunak1

It does say in the article that searches have been carried out after radar returns occurred. The problem is that The International Maritime Satellite Network (Inmarsat) and the Automatic Identification System (AIS) only function through tracking operating responder beacons, and searching just by sight even from a satellite that has been fed the co-ordinates of the radar returns is still like looking for a needle in a haystack.

edit on 23-1-2014 by hotel1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

When I first clicked on this thread, I thought it was about these - a shipyard in Hartlepool has been used to scrap old USN vessels, which are full of all manner of toxic crap. Maybe whoever finds it could tow it there, would mean continued jobs for the locals who need it up that next of the woods.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
nvm.

edit on 23-1-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   

OpinionatedB
nvm.

edit on 23-1-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

In the original article I read (not the linked one) it states that towing cables parted on one occasion and the ship was deliberately cut loose on a later occasion with government authorisation.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

andy06shake
reply to post by hotel1

Why did they cut loose a 300ft long anything and allow it to run a mock in the middle of the ocean?

Downright irresponsible if you ask me!

edit on 23-1-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)
I have to say was glad to see this ship leave St. Johns harbour last year but sadly,I think this ship is cursed...the first time it wasn't intentionally cut loose... It broke the tow line and subsequently was lost before another effort to recover her in a timely fashion could be mounted before she was lost to the sea. Then it was floating around unchecked around our oil rigs,a private supply ship corralled it out the area.

This whole thing and the circumstances surrounding this ships fate has been mishandled for years IMO. She has a owner though and ultimately I'd believe its his responsibility to recover or deal with the mess.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Don t underestimate rats... the y re capable of procreating without males... the females can "store" sperm in their womb and fertilize it when needed (eg. when there is shortage of males), so probably the population strives on the Love-rat boat

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

Yeah that's why I edited, when I read the entire article again I realized that!

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

Here is the problem with the daily mail... the ship has not been spotted since march and is thought to be sunk...

On 28 February the ship was the subject of news reports in Iceland and Ireland, and a caution to smaller vessels was issued.[12] On 1 March 2013 Irish media reported that a signal from the vessel’s emergency position-indicating radio beacon (EPIRB) was received from 700 nautical miles off the Kerry coast, still in international waters. An EPIRB only starts transmitting when the device is exposed to water, leading experts to speculate that the ship may have sunk.[13] The Irish Air Corps was expected to continue to monitor the region.[14] As of 22 April 2013, her whereabouts are unknown.[15]

en.wikipedia.org...-16

So where is all this new scare stuff coming about that its heading for the UK?

Is there any proof that its been spotted again?

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
what a waste of a ship
would be cool to own this, tow in somewhere safe and turn it in your own solar powered home.
rats can be eradicated, if this thing is in fact still afloat shows its builder a quality design for the times.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Its worth a million dollars in scrap... I'd be scrapping it! This is why so many have been looking for the thing, everyone wants the money that scrapping it will bring!

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

agreed,
But I guess the Idea of owning a personal Yacht for a few bucks has its interests

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
www.nedcruise.info...
Everything you want to know about her is there.

Other 'ghost ships'.....if you can locate them.....there's money floating round on them seas...
listverse.com...
I did come across a list of recent ships still floating around on the high seas just waiting to be salvaged...damned if I can find it now though....will keep looking
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
how is it possible they arent aware of its location lol.
why is anyone even willing to admit that.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
SyFy really needs to make a movie using this story as the base.

Ratnado!

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SynchronousSnake

Thank you for contributing and giving a Canadian view on the situation. In none of the articles I have read in the UK press is the fact that this vessel was endangering rigs and the lives of the workers on those rigs mentioned. This just goes to show how the media of one nation will leave out the facts regarding another nations actions if it doesn't suit their finger pointing. The old saying about the press once again proves to be true sadly. Never let facts get in the way of a sensationalist story..

Kind regards.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Silcone Synapse
reply to post by hotel1

If its been adrift for a year,I predict all they will find on board is ONE very fat rat.

One man was sent aboard and this is what happened after encountering the one rat

needless to say, the man was never seen again

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

I have been watching this story since that ship was seized in the port. It is a black eye on the Canadian Coast guard, and the government. It's a sturdy little ship, very well built. First, while carrying passengers during an Arctic cruise she became victim of some bad hydrological surveys, which made the maps she was using suspect, and tore a major gash in her hull. So the vessel was re floated, and dry-docked at great expense to the company operating her. They in turn sued and won damages from the Canadian government, who refused to pay. Then the cash strapped tour operator became delinquent on some of her payments (which is not uncommon in maritime trade), and the government decided to act in retaliation,on rather erroneous credit demands, and seize the Orlova and her crew when she berthed in Newfoundland. The company went bankrupt, and the crew remained stranded in Canada on board their ship in a kind of diplomatic limbo for months. The generosity of the great people of Newfoundland, saw them come together and bring food and clothing to the crew imprisoned on the ship until they were eventually repatriated to their native countries.

Hundreds of thousand of warfage fees, airfare and litigation all came out of Canadian taxpayer dollars. There was also the cost to fight an on board fire that broke out when a visiting agent attempted to start a generator without understanding the vessels electrical systems, and a salvage crew needed to pump out the now listing vessel of overburden water to keep her from sinking at port, again, all assumed by the Canadian tax payer.

So the now rusting, unmanned and unloved cruise ship, was finally sold at crown assets, a government surplus website, for $275 000, to a Toronto based Iranian investor with absolutely no knowledge of maritime trade, using some retirement money that he hoped to quadruple, by selling the boat to the only ship breaker willing to deal with the low metal value and highly toxic insulation needed to keep Arctic bound vessels warm, the Dominic republic. He then contracted the lowest bidding tug operator, a 50 year old tiny rotten vessel, to undertake the task for $40 000.

Here is where the fun begins. The operator set sail under the watchful and scornful eyes of many knowledgeable mariners who openly criticized the move, and pleaded with the coastguard to intervene, into the north Atlantic in beginning of winter, during a storm. The tiny underpowered vessel struggled with the Orlova, lost her tow-lines, and started to take on water. The tug managed to return to port, where it went on to fail all safety inspections, and was eventually fined for undertaking the task. Meanwhile, the ship bobbed around the coast and headed towards an oil platform. The offshore oilfields are big business for Newfoundland, and they are always tended by several large supply vessels, some of which are large enough to be tasked with diverting iceberg with sea water blasts from overly powerful engines. When they became aware of the approaching vessel, a decent operator managed to lasso the Orlova's anchor chain in high seas, and kept the vessle into the wind and out of harms way of the platform. Burning fuel at 15 tons a day, the operators asked the coast guard who would pay for the towing fees, and the response from on high was to cut the ship loose when it was clear of the oil rigs.

For all seasoned mariners, this was a massive slap in the face. This was clear example of money chosen over safety, poor seamanship, and a total disregard for the rules of the sea. To cut loose a 4000 ton vessel, and allow it to float untracked and unilluminated into the north Atlantic trade corridor where the seas are the most treacherous was a complete disregard for the lives of all those who work the seas, let alone the environmental impact were it to sink. When the anger and shock became too much to ignore, the coast guard held a press conference, and changed their story. They had tried to say that the vessel broke free of the offshore supply tug, which insulted the vessels captain. He in turn refuted the story, so the coast guard had to hold a second press conference. This time they said the vessel had drifted into international waters before instructing the captain to cut it free, and it posed no safety concern as it would most likely sink in the treacherous north Atlantic waters. When asked if there was any possibility of stowaways or anyone on board, the government's representative joked, "that probably just some rats". From that, and a lot of bad translations, came the story of the millions of hungry rats.

Soon after the Irish became involved when they realised the vessel was floating towards them, then the first epirb sounded, then the second, which may have come from the lifeboats, and or the vessel itself. It is probably sunk, but karma would see it surface knowing its history.

AX
FTNWO

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
If these rats were bred by the KGB, they could be carrying some nasty stuff. KGB-rats could've been placed on the ship after a secret rendevouz with a submarine.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Oooh what a twist to the story! This should be a movie or if you are a fan of Clive Cussler this would be an epic Dirk Pitt adventure! Sorry for the short reply

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

Love it!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join