It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

None Dare Call Them Shoes and Milk

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
What a great way for an enemy to hurt this country! Hobble us all with crippling shoes! Everything I had bought at (non grocer) stores has been from China, if that even need be said. A little while ago, I ordered specially wide shoes from Amazon, and they were expen$ive. My toes want to splay out so much. I read that this is the natural state for the foot. I also read, somewhat recently, that most shoes are made too narrow, still patterned for more petite people from the 1950's. Well, I don't know where my (sent for) Amazon shoes were manufactured, but at least they are supposed to be extra wide. After my age-40's 'change-of-life',
my feet grew wider and bigger. I swear!
A few minutes ago, I threw a half gallon of milk out. It had a chemical waxiness (smell, taste,) about it. So much so, that I could not tolerate it. Got the stuff from this store nearby. I had the same experience from them about a year ago, and I see nothing has changed. I could not walk any further than them for my milk, (I don't have a vehicle, cannot afford one,) because my feet were in pain from my current too snug footwear. I'm so craving a big fresh glass of actual milk, but I will try again tomorrow, to go trapsing a little farther through the polar vortex here in FEMA region 5, to the grocery store further on down the road, which has more normal 'milk'.

I am horrified and saddened that certain ones in charge of 'food' and 'footwear' care about how humans deal with their poisons and garbage, as much as child with no conscience, given a living fish in a little waterbag from a pet store. That's a fact.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I believe I will get the inevitable admonishings about 'self sufficiency' and "stop giving the corporations money" but please think hard about how much money it takes to become self sufficient to a degree. I live in a little and (Oh here it comes, gonna get clobbered now,) subsidized apartment, and I only just barely.......had enough $ on hand to send away for -desperately- needed supportive shoes.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I'm not sure I fully understand the intent of your commentary. Do you think there is not enough regulation on shoe manufacturing and milk production?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by misschareesee2

You make us wonder just how wide are your feet. Mine have gotten wider over the more that seven decades I've been wearing shoes, but I find that a double EE works fine these days. There are even wider shoes available, especially in sports sneakers. Sounds like with the walking you must do that type of shoe would be what you need.

I disagree with your assessment that shoe sizes/footprints are still like back from the old days. I don't think that is the case at all.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ExNihiloRed

It seems to me that PROFIT is allowed to be more important than quality of life. The latter, does not even seem to factor in at all. It's so cold blooded, it just kills me. So to speak. And maybe more.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
All my Chinese shoes have fit wonderfully and take almost no time to break-in. As for milk, I was weaned years ago, so the point is moot. I suggest you sell your computer and disconnect your Internet service so you can afford a good pair of shoes.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

You don't think that the drive for profit demands providing products that appeal to the masses? How else will companies ensure they maximize profits by increasing consumer demand?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

My internet service is under $30 a month, for several months, for a computer given to me by a sibling.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

But they are always trying to cut corners and lower quality to try and get away with making more profits off of less output.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Now that I understand. Less costs mean more profits. Of course, there has to be a line where reducing costs actually costs you more because you lose customers, etc.

I mean, you clearly fall within a lower socioeconomic rung. Your complaint seems focused on the availability of affordable, quality goods. And in your case, those goods (milk and shoes), arguably are basic necessities.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

That's terrific for you that all "your" shoes fit you perfectly. But just like anything else, all people's feet are not the same. Seems pretty insensitive in your reply.

OP, I haven't been able to drink milk now for a couple years due to the same experience you describe. I've only found refuge in buying it from a creamery that we have on the other side of town. That being said, it's much more expensive and has become a luxury of sorts due to the location and the cost alone.

In regards to the computer/internet…I save a lot more money just by having it. It allows me to access information without the need to travel, various forms of entertainment and a way to pay bills. I realize that some can due without it, but it has become a near necessity for most.

I would recommend nursing shoes in a wider size if you have the ability to pick them up.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Thank you for saying you understand, it means a great deal to me. I'm just stressed out. In my highrise, are elderly and disabled residents. At the beginning of January, we were all evacuated by firemen, because water mains broke. It turns out, that we all only were allowed to come back in here, a few days ago. Well, we were yanked out of our beds at 4:30 am in our jammies, and because the elevators were shut off by the firemen, I was coming down 5 flights of stairs with an old woman who appeared to begin having faintness. She was being helped by 2 other women, but she sat down sweating and dizzy and couldn't breath. No firemen helped. It was elderly and disabled trying to help elderly and disabled. Down 5 flights of cement stairs.

From my view, the world has become such a dog-eat-dog vicious place.
edit on 22-1-2014 by misschareesee2 because: edit

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Hey FRIEND thank you too! So much.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I'm drawn to similar concerns. The world of Instagram and selfies shows how selfish people are becoming. Maybe it has always been this way but technology is allowing us to shine a brighter light on this. I don't know. There is a lot of good in the world I suppose, and I try not to be too cynical, but sometimes I worry.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

The internet is a lifeline to someone like me. Everything 'freakjive' said above, is exactly right on. I, as one of the lucky evacuees, called my mom and I stayed with her and a sibling there. They have internet, and I was able to be online everyday, checking the local media, their facebook page, and the commenters, giving updates. The firemen took our numbers to call us back in but no one ever called (me). The residents with no person to stay with all had to go to this motel and forced to leave their fur babies behind while the electric was shut off during subfreezing windchills.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I get it, and for what it's worth, I share some of your pain. I have big feet. I bought a pair of White's logging boots that were form-fit and custom to my feet when I was 17 -- amost 40 years ago. They have been re-soled six times and still fit perfectly. Size 12. Lately, if I want shoes to sorta-kinda fit, I have to buy 13s or even 14s.. What happened? None of the 'walking shoes' I've bough lately are wide enough nor long enough.

Milk. Well, where I live, milk costs more than gasoline. A LOT more. Gas is $6.00/gallon and milk is $9.00, so I don't drink milk that often. Once in a while, just to slug down a few indulgent gulps.

Quality is almost a thing of the past, imo. What I mean by that is....... once upon a time, almost all shoes were of a standard quality. As a kid, I wore Keds. If you know what Keds are, you're probably brushing up against old. These days, if you want good shoes, you have to pay big bucks. That sucks. When just knocking around the house, I wear homemade moccasins. They are comfortable, but have zero ankle support. I buy Rothco hiking boots, but it's difficult to find them in size 13. They aren't cheap, but they wear out in a few months. Quality is gone.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I remember Keds! 40 years ago, food (and milk) were actually fairly good. I'm conspiracy-minded, so I believe that it is on purpose, our quality-of-lives are being ruined. If you have hobbled sick citizens, then they can't be strong against tyranny. But there seems to be a powerful spiritual component behind that whole thing, and I'm not even religious.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
thoughtless comment withdrawn
edit on 22-1-2014 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

One day, some time awhile back, I was warming some skim 'milk' (the grocery store stuff )in a small glass stovetop little pan, (those old Corning wares) (so as to avoid aluminum) but anyway, I forgot about that, and when I realized the overheating was happening, I found this white plastic stuff instead of 'milk'. A hard plasticy.......mess. Like white plastic.
edit on 23-1-2014 by misschareesee2 because: changed

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

Your comment was EXCELLENT (I don't understand!.....withdrawn)

I may have sounded (completely mistakenly) like I was speaking contrarily, but it was a wrong way I put my reply is all. I'm sleepy, and getting brain-lazy.
Thank you for the info about "vitamin A" palmitate, some of those facts like re. the bacteria I did not know. Yet another typical crooked way They try to amass profits, at the expense of people's health.
edit on 23-1-2014 by misschareesee2 because: edit

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join