It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water found on dwarf planet Ceres, and it may erupt from volcanoes

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
"Astronomers have discovered direct evidence of water on the dwarf planet Ceres in the form of vapor plumes erupting into space, possibly from volcano-like ice geysers on its surface."

Volcanoes that erupt water vapor? What? Nature never ceases to amaze me. I fiind this article pretty interesting. Scientists are finding more and more water in the solar system, Does that mean more and more life is out there than we are told?

What say you, ATS?

www.space.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

Try imagine volcanoes here on Earth made of ice, erupting water trapped underneath the surface instead of lava.
Thanks for sharing SF
One cool fact to add...
There is more fresh water in form of ice on Ceres than here on Earth

edit on 22-1-2014 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

zilebeliveunknown

Try imagine volcanoes here on Earth made of ice, erupting water trapped underneath the surface instead of lava.
Thanks for sharing SF
One cool fact to add...
There is more water on Ceres than here on Earth

Yes, I noticed in the article where it says that Ceres might have more water than Earth. I can't even fathpm hpw much that would be compared to the size of that planet. It may be a virtual water world like Encelladus......or maybe Ganymede, although, I'm not 100% sure about the amount of water on Ganymede.

correction: More fresh water ice than Earth.
edit on 22-1-2014 by lostbook because: paragraph edit

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

You make a common mistake assuming other life (intelligent or not) in the Universe requires water to survive. Who knows what is out there and how it survives. There could be entities that don't need to breathe, etc. I love thinking about it
edit on 22-1-2014 by ExNihiloRed because: Typo

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This on the heels of starwater being confirmed!

edit on 3732014-01-22T18:32:37-06:002014-01-22T18:32:37-06:00fpm1 by SWCCFAN because: Fixed video

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Ceres is a small earth jewel, that they seemed to want to keep hidden, not much mentioned about this beauty. But I've noted it for a few years. There is speculation of water and even life. Unless there are higher Ets keeping visitors off or restricted areas only, it may already be a location for black operations.
edit on 22-1-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Well, in about a year spaceship Dawn will be taking a close look at Ceres, and then there will be close and accurate pictures to go along with the new data.

Wikipedia's page on Dawn, it won't link directly but go to Dawn (spacecraft) to have a read.
edit on 22-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

That is very interesting actually. I'm going to have to look up some info on this later.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Here you go: Saturn's moon Enceladus erupts water vaport:

It's thought that Neptune's moon, Triton does the same thing:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Encelladus! That's where I want to explore! Thanks for the pics!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Well its turning out that a lot of celestial bodies in our solar system have liquid water. Titan, Europa, Enceladus, and then there are the moons of Uranus and Neptune that we just don't have a lot of information on. Also the lead scientist of new horizons stated that there might be water volcanos on Pluto. And these are global oceans of liquid water under solid surfaces much like the liquid outer core and lower mantle of the earth is liquid rock underneath a solid crust. Exciting Stuff!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

BGTM90
Well its turning out that a lot of celestial bodies in our solar system have liquid water. Titan, Europa, Enceladus, and then there are the moons of Uranus and Neptune that we just don't have a lot of information on. Also the lead scientist of new horizons stated that there might be water volcanos on Pluto. And these are global oceans of liquid water under solid surfaces much like the liquid outer core and lower mantle of the earth is liquid rock underneath a solid crust. Exciting Stuff!!!

Water is one of the most common molecules in the universe. Nearly everywhere we look in detail, we find water.

That's because Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe and Oxygen is not far behind.

Put them together and you get.

HO (hydroxide)

and

H2O (water)

I cracks me up whenever I see alien invasion movies which say the aliens came for the water. LOL. Might as well come here for the rocks too!

edit on 26-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join