It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new front in the war on Veterans: CBO Studies Removing Retirees from Tricare Prime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
www.military.com...

Joe Davis, a spokesman for the Veterans of Foreign Wars, questioned the CBO numbers but said the report following on other major program initiatives advocated by DoD indicated that "the Pentagon is opening up a new front in the war on retirees. This is a threat to the all-volunteer force," Davis said.

I stated before that this would happen, but I didn’t think it happen so quickly. As a retiree this could screw me right into homelessness. I’ve already ran the numbers if I were forced to go with the PPACA and it is just not affordable for me. I already have co-pays with Tri-Care Standard and while they are more affordable, they have also broken my bank account recently with all the appointments I had. And the VA doesn’t cover Chiropractic unless you are near a military base, which I’m not. That’s costing me a lot out of pocket as well.

Another broken promise and more anger builds. I foresee a lot more suicides and crimes committed by Vets in the future. But that’s what those who inhabit the rarefied air in the beltway want I think.

Yea, let's continue to screw people who have fulfilled their contract, but let's keep raising the rates of those on welfare and foodstamps.

This is getting out of hand. There will be a confrontation before to long if this keeps up.

edit on 22-1-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Obama only cares about the healthcare of democrat voters. Vets vote republican, hence he don't care.
edit on 22-1-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

You kick a dog long enough, even a good dog. . . he'll bite.

Just sayin'

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Yup. It's totally acceptable to make sure worthless eaters and breeders get Medicaid, SNAP, TANF, Housing, Utility Assistance, ad nauseum. But that guy that lost his legs to an IED on his 4th tour in Iraq... # him.
edit on 22-1-2014 by Lipton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I am not surprised that our vets are next. This makes me beyond sick....

I am kind of surprised that all of the states in the union are not trying to secede. Sure, they would lose a lot of government funding for welfare programs, schools, bridges, etc., but in the long run I see it becoming the only option to escape tyranny.

Let the politicians and welfare people have Washington DC. Ban them from engaging in their parasitic activity in all other states.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Vets (and I are one) are the LAST group the government should EVER mess with. The day may come when the military might just start telling the idiots inside of the Beltway "no, not anymore"... every man and woman in uniform at this moment doing their bidding is also a vet.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

They have already done it to some. I am sepatating from the military and taking a transition assistance class in February. In the Pre-TAP briefing they told the retirees that if they were outside of a 40-mile radius from a military base in retirement they would not be eligible for Tricare Prime. When I joined nearly 8 years ago I thought the retirement package was amazing, not so much now.

They are forcing me out with the 25,000 cuts in the Air Force this year anyway and I think it is the best think that could have happened to me. I don't want to work for the Government anymore but those contractor jobs overseas are pretty tempting with their six figure salaries. That for a couple of years and then law school on the GI Bill sounds like a good plan for a while anyways...
edit on 2014122 by bonsaihorn because: broke it up

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
As far as I'm concerned, the Veterans of this nation should enjoy carte blanche free medical care for life upon Honorable separation. Poor folks have it right now and I know some to know as a hard fact that IS how it works for them. VERY low - NO Co-pay on visits or procedures and low to NO Co-pay on meds prescribed as a part of it.

If poor folks rate that, then the people who were willing to die for ideals and the buddy standing next to them deserve NO less.

(hops off soapbox)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bonsaihorn

I myself survived two drawdowns and agree that during them, almost every day was stressful, especially after watching a couple of fine NCOs get their walking papers at 17 years of service. That was back during the Clinton years, but because of something they had done in their youth they were QMP or RCP'd. And one fine officer that we would follow to hell and overthrow Satan himself that was RIF'd. All were basically given 90 days and C-YA!

Oh, they were given seperation pay and everything, but it was still devastating to watch.

I'd be careful when looking at those contractor jobs. Most will screw you over in one way or another. And you have to pay for your own insurance as well, which can be quite expensive concerning the line of work and locations it'll be performed in.

ETA: I guess I shouldn't say I survived two drawdowns as I was RCP'd myself back in the late nineties, but if I wanted to see any seperation pay, I had to go into the Reserves, at which point my Reserve unit deployed me so often (and then came 9/11) that I ended up retiring as a E7 with a AC pension. Oops! On them. LOL

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I am in Contracting right now so I know all about those little things in the contracts, but all I need is a year or so to build up a bank and I'll be off. I won't mind getting paid three times what I make now for less responsibility.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

bonsaihorn

I am in Contracting right now so I know all about those little things in the contracts, but all I need is a year or so to build up a bank and I'll be off. I won't mind getting paid three times what I make now for less responsibility.

Good luck on your new career then!

I'll tell you, I enjoyed the majority of my career with all it's ups and downs, but the last four years of it were pretty miserable due to personality clashes with my Commanders, both of whom were relieved...lol, but I still live in the area and everyone I know who are still in the unit (of which there aren't many) all say it now really sucks. To much internal politics and backstabbing which always accompanies a drawdown. After being retired for a few years, I still get calls quite often from people asking for advice.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Good to hear someone is yelling about this. I too am a card carrier for my service. Retirement bennifits?... Nothing but alot of broken promises are on the way. Tricare offices are closing, commissaries are being shut down, and the word whispered is that the VA Clinics are next. I remember when most politicians had served our country. Not any more!! We've become that irritating pebble that gets in your shoe. just take it out and throw it away. Keep yelling, maybe someone will care and come to our aid.I know my congressman doesn't care.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by safteynet

People are yelling, but it seems that they are being ignored, or maybe too few. All I know is that I am preparing for the time that all Veterans benefits are cut off. That seems to be the route DC is taking after all. I'm already pretty much a minimulist, so I guess it's time to see what else I can do without.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by safteynet

People are yelling, but it seems that they are being ignored, or maybe too few. All I know is that I am preparing for the time that all Veterans benefits are cut off. That seems to be the route DC is taking after all. I'm already pretty much a minimulist, so I guess it's time to see what else I can do without.

I receive care at the local VA facility, I was active from 83-90, I have received excellent care, and here they have a pretty good system. I have never been a combat guy, never left the states, but the care I have received from VA has been good.

TDawg, I am sorry for the results you are seeing but not all vets are seeing them. Every budget cut seems to cut funds for vet care.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

I have recieved pretty good care from the VA. But what a lot of people do not understand is that the VA only takes care of existing claims.

For instance, I made a claim for my back which was denied. Therefore, when my back failed (quite painfully) they would not see me. I had to use Tri-Care Standard. Those over 60 years old are the ones who usually get Tri-Care Prime. And at their advanced age, and the crap that they had to put their bodies through when they were young, they deserve it as far as I'm concerned.

The VA and Tri-Care are too totally different, though related things.

The VA only takes care of you if you are 100% disabled.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Stuff like this gets little media attention . But when Mitt Romney said he wanted to cut money to PBS, everyone went crazy. It was the top news story for days. People went on twitter and started freaking out.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
All Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health care facilities participate as TRICARE network providers. They can provide primary care, but more often they are used for specialty care.

if the VA hospital system in your area is teamed up with a major teaching hospital system you will get very good care.

The VA hospital i go to is staffed by UCLA teaching hospital.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   

jdoors
But when Mitt Romney said he wanted to cut money to PBS, everyone went crazy.

Because Bert, Ernie and Big Bird and cuddly. Most us vets tend to be crotchety, vulgar and not too terribly PC.

But those garrison soldiers....that's PBS material right there.
edit on 23-1-2014 by Lipton because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join