It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MORE Moving Mars rocks and image manipulation, My finds

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

Thanks for doing what should have been done on the opening post.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   
**Possibly SOLVED**
Hi guys...
Theres no anomaly in the Ops post. Its sometimes wise to consider all the variables and not just the image in question. MSL was all over the area
. She drove through your area of interest. Need I explain what happens to small geology when a very large 6 wheeled, giant nuclear powered robot wanders through the area ? Ive enclosed a small image map showing her sols and traverse signatures through POI's.
Cheers

edit on 24-1-2014 by SecretPlanets because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretPlanets

I thought Curiosity was supposed to be hightailing it to Murray Buttes, and instead its going around in circles for a week or more? Who's driving this thing?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Don't know if to flag the original post (which was well put together and worthy of exploration) or secret planets brilliant solution. To be fair to the original post, NASA raised the original issue of a rock suddenly appearing in camera shot.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by super70

Looks like a nice case of WIND blown debris...

Man, you can even see where the dirt got blown onto the rock with that nub on it. The next photo has the rock part gone, but the nub is still sticking out.

No expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night..

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

Well done nat, I've compared the two shots in GIMP and they are indeed very similar, with no discernible "new" rocks or any obvious differences (apart from the aforementioned perspective change (and slight rotation).

Looks like panorama artifacts to me too.

G

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

shaneslaughta
You also forgetting that mars has some ferocious storms there. Winds on mars can be much higher than they are on earth.

Forgetting? I want a link to the fact that there are "ferocious" storms on mars, you demanded evidence and now I demand evidence from you.

Quick wiki for me found this, "As observed by the Viking spacecraft from the surface, "during a global dust storm the diurnal temperature range narrowed sharply, from fifty degrees to only about ten degrees, and the wind speeds picked up considerably---indeed, within only an hour of the storm's arrival they had increased to 17 m/s (38 mph), with gusts up to 26 m/s (58 mph).Nevertheless, no actual transport of material was observed at either site, only a gradual brightening and loss of contrast of the surface material as dust settled onto it." On June 26, 2001, the Hubble Space Telescope spotted a dust storm brewing in Hellas Basin on Mars. A day later the storm "exploded" and became a global event. Orbital measurements showed that this dust storm reduced the average temperature of the surface and raised the temperature of the atmosphere of Mars by 30 °C. The low density of the Martian atmosphere means that winds of 18 to 22 m/s (40 to 49 mph) are needed to lift dust from the surface, but since Mars is so dry, the dust can stay in the atmosphere far longer than on Earth, where it is soon washed out by rain. The season following that dust storm had daytime temperatures 4 °C below average. This was attributed to the global covering of light-colored dust that settled out of the dust storm, temporarily increasing Mars' albedo."

seems i came late to the party, original images found and cited, cool cool.
edit on 25-1-2014 by MConnalley because: late

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by super70

And the top rock in this portion of your pic is cracked in the "after" picture but not cracked in the first, or "before" picture:

Could all of these be explained by the Rover rolling across the site (although I don't see any tracks in the after pictures)
edit on 22-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

I think so. It's currently Martian winter at those locations, so combine the low air pressure with the low temperatures, and everything is going to become brittle and break easily.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by super70

Ok, here's my theory; there are some very small creatures on Mars - perhaps somewhat like ants - that collectively move around the surface carrying small rocks as shields from sun radiation and a general protection from the hostile environment on Mars. They need to constantly move around to find enough nutrients to nurish their little colony.

I hereby name these creatures "MANTS" on behalf of the population of Earth ; "M" as in Mars (duh) and "ANTS" as in, well, ants.

Future colonists on Mars will say;
- "Darn, these Mants get in everywhere!"
- "I would stay on Mars if not for those pesky Mants"
- "Anyone got any anti-Mant spray?"
- "Mant soup anyone?"

edit on 26-1-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Staroth
reply to post by super70

These pictures were taken from different angles, which is why it appears to look this way. I am also a professional

I am also a professional.

Yes, the angles are different, but the difference doesn't account for the anomalies.

soulwaxer

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
A simple question:

Why would NASA manipulate images to hide something and then release THOSE images?

It seems to me that they could just release images of real rocks that don't show anything "classified", and never release anything that does. No?

soulwaxer

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   

soulwaxer
A simple question:

Why would NASA manipulate images to hide something and then release THOSE images?

It seems to me that they could just release images of real rocks that don't show anything "classified", and never release anything that does. No?

soulwaxer

You haven't read through this thread, have you? Those are panorama stitching artifacts, when objects at the edges of individual images don't line up properly.

You can see the individual, raw images at mars.nasa.gov... and you can even have a go at assembling your own panoramas out of them using one of several free panorama-stitching software.

I have yet to see any evidence of NASA hiding something on their images from space.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by super70

i am an artist and i have a pretty good eye for detail as well, at first i could not see it but upon closer investigation i now see what you are talking about so weird.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

MerkabaMeditation
reply to post by super70

Ok, here's my theory; there are some very small creatures on Mars - perhaps somewhat like ants - that collectively move around the surface carrying small rocks as shields from sun radiation and a general protection from the hostile environment on Mars. They need to constantly move around to find enough nutrients to nurish their little colony.

I hereby name these creatures "MANTS" on behalf of the population of Earth ; "M" as in Mars (duh) and "ANTS" as in, well, ants.

Future colonists on Mars will say;
- "Darn, these Mants get in everywhere!"
- "I would stay on Mars if not for those pesky Mants"
- "Anyone got any anti-Mant spray?"
- "Mant soup anyone?"

lol it is actually not that bizzare a theory ,stranger things have happened than mants hahaha

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Steve Squires, principal investigator of the Mars Exploration Rover mission talks about the mystery "jelly donut" Mars rock and its strange chemistry on The Planetary Society's Planetary Radio.

Have a listen starting at about 10 minutes in.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Steve Squyers calls the Pinnacle Island 'jelly donut' rock 'really strange' and 'really weird'. If it's primarily sulfate salts, as indicated, I wonder which of these has a dark red color. None do, that I've read about so far. Any geologists out there with an idea?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join