It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MORE Moving Mars rocks and image manipulation, My finds

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
As for the mosaic images, maybe i can explain a bit better.

The radio gear that transmits the images is limited. They can not send one giant image, it would tie up the rover controls.

The camera takes images piece by piece and sends them when its not doing anything important.

Remote controlling a scientific platform from this far away presents a hoard of challenges to overcome.

Between sending commands for control of the rover for steering and movement, its laser and cameras.

They can only do so much in a time frame.

You also have to remember that the rover is not controllable when its facing away from earth.

Another limitation to line of sight communication.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Im glad im not the only one who sees it.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by super70

Basing your post in the mosaics is not a good idea, as they are, by definition, edited images, I think you should use the original photos that were used to create the mosaics, that way we would know that we are looking at images that are not supposed to be altered.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
You have to consider that as the rover moves around, it will disturb loose rocks.
It will disturb the dust that layers everything.
No sense in getting paranoid about non-issues that are very logical and easily explained.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

shaneslaughta
They can not send one giant image, it would tie up the rover controls.

As fas as I understand it, Curiosity does not use the same method of transmitting the photos that the Spirit and Opportunity use(d), I don't remember seeing a photo from Curiosity with those famous black rectangles relatively common on the MERs' photos.

The camera takes images piece by piece and sends them when its not doing anything important.

No, the camera takes a photo in exactly the same way as the digital cameras we use.

You also have to remember that the rover is not controllable when its facing away from earth.

It is, they do not use direct communication from the rover to Earth and back, they have that possibility but that's the slowest path, they usually use two of the probes orbiting Mars as relay stations, so, while they can communicated when the rover is facing away from Earth they can only communicate during the time (I don't remember how much) the satellites are visible from the rover.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

ArMaP

shaneslaughta
They can not send one giant image, it would tie up the rover controls.

As fas as I understand it, Curiosity does not use the same method of transmitting the photos that the Spirit and Opportunity use(d), I don't remember seeing a photo from Curiosity with those famous black rectangles relatively common on the MERs' photos.

No, the camera takes a photo in exactly the same way as the digital cameras we use.

It is, they do not use direct communication from the rover to Earth and back, they have that possibility but that's the slowest path, they usually use two of the probes orbiting Mars as relay stations, so, while they can communicated when the rover is facing away from Earth they can only communicate during the time (I don't remember how much) the satellites are visible from the rover.

Its newer tech that allows the rover to transmit at 4mbps. the older style didnt allow for such bandwidth.

It takes smaller pictures that are sent back to NASA that are then stitched into the panorama.

AHhh i must have reiterated that incorrectly.
edit on 1/22/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Coming to bring you great news of glad tidings. Hear ye, hear ye, on another thread which I will post honorable access to in a minute, the esteemed user BuzzDengue has found a truly great occurance - ye possible fossil upon the Martian soil. The equally esteemed but loonier user funbox, he of great photo skill, captured yonder possible fossil in patented funbox close up and wrap around, to present it to the world. Feast ye eyes, ladies and gentlemen, upon what may be the Holy Grail of Martian rocks - the Spoke fossil, courtesy of Sir BuzzDengue and Sir funbox:

starteth here, with Buzz's announcement, then wander towards photos, gifs, enthusiastic analysis by yours truly, and finally ye are heartily invited to explain said occurrence in ye own words and in geological tones.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

(my great apologies to the op for posting this broadsheet here, but eyes on this discover have been sorely lacking, and the historical nature of this find may be great and far-reaching, aye)

edit on 22-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

shaneslaughta
It takes smaller pictures that are sent back to NASA that are then stitched into the panorama.

Where did you get that idea?

The images from the Mastcam, for example, are (at most) 1600 × 1200, and we can see them on Curiosity's site. They can make panoramas with the photos after, but the photos are not panoramas.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The two images are from different perspectives, thats all. You are highlighting different areas with your outline. The rover is further away at a more oblique angle and so you need to move the 'window' up and to the right slightly. Rock No 7 is not even IN the second image because the photo crop stops before it would be show.

You only have to look at my other posts to see that I want to find anomalies as much as you guys do, but this is just a perspective difference and lighting difference.

In my opinion, you are pulling our plonkers or just plain mistaken.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
going with the strong wind/ particle displacement. does anyone know what the general make up of said mars "stones' are composed of? I have visited hawaii volcano national park and found engine block size pumice/cinder boulders that one could easily lift. possibly their composition is also lighter as they formed under different gravity conditions than earth.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by super70

You need to not use any photos that are panoramas or images that are "stitched" together before showing something and declaring something "wrong", "edited" or "censored".

The panoramas are great for looking and finding an area of interest. Once you have done that however, your next stop is not here to post that, but to instead track down the RAW images that make up that area of a panorama.

Look and see in those images, which are not stitched together, if what you spotted is still there.

THEN you should come here with those RAW images and links to them and point it out.

Until you do that, all you have show us is: stitching and editing artifacts, and perspective angle changes.

edit on 22-1-2014 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Having spent a few minutes looking at these two images you have posted I have to say that I was mistaken and there are 'rocks' in the second picture which cannot be accounted for in the first picture. If I could do any uploads I could show what 'rocks' appears to be static between the two images, marked with yellow dots, and what appears to have suddenly manifested in different places.

What Eriktheawful says is correct, we need to see two crops from the originals side by side (with links to the individual originals, not panoramas) without any modification so that folks can download and examine carefully for themselves.

I think it is perfectly possible that beings take on the shape and appearance of rocks or use rock-shaped vehicles to move about inside of. It would explain a lot of things in the Mars images.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
These are panorama stitching artifacts, plain and simple.

smurfy
Just give the images and let those who want to, make their own panorama.

Here you go: mars.nasa.gov...
Free panorama-stitching software: research.microsoft.com...
Another one: hugin.sourceforge.net...

If you think NASA did a shoddy work, download the individual images and have a go yourself.

(See the link in my signature for panoramas I made myself in the past)
edit on 23-1-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   

wildespace

I have used both, Microsoft's ICE is much easier to use, as it automates the whole process, but Hugin is more powerful, although much harder to use.

If you think NASA did a shoddy work, download the individual images and have a go yourself.

I will.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   

ArMaP

wildespace

I have used both, Microsoft's ICE is much easier to use, as it automates the whole process, but Hugin is more powerful, although much harder to use.

I will.

Being fully automatic, Microsoft ICE has trouble with images that don't have clear details, such as the sky, or distant shots of the horizon. On the plus side, the assembled panorama can be uploaded to Photosynth, which allows you to "look around" as if you were actually standing there.

I had fun with assembling Curiosity's self-portraits, and witnessing the same disappearance of the robotic arm, and figuring out how it happened. photosynth.net...

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I think there is a very distinct possibility that some of the changes on the surface can be a result of some type of seismic activity.

It wouldn't take much. I have to wonder if NASA has already checked for seismic activity on Mars or if the rover is equipped with instruments to detect if there were Mars-quakes.

Given the sizes of the rocks, the short distance they moved / rolled, it's the only reasonable explanation I can think of because meteors falling, creatures with rocks for shells and prankster aliens aren't cutting it for me.

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

SonOfTheLawOfOne
Given the sizes of the rocks, the short distance they moved / rolled, it's the only reasonable explanation I can think of because meteors falling, creatures with rocks for shells and prankster aliens aren't cutting it for me.
~Namaste

...or giant underground Mars' worms rumbling passed! It has to seismic activity of some sort given the numbered rocks all seem to have moved in the same direction.... or the contunuity guy is rubbish at his job. It's not a change in persepective, bad picture knitting or anything like that. IMHO of course. The key point in all this is that everyone should now check at least 2 shots of anything any of the rovers take just to see how common this is on Mars (or Burbank Studios if it's the continuity guy's fault)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Yes, it seems that a part of the picture is replaced with something simular. In the right upper corner of the last picture I see an object with a 90 degree angle and a straight edge.

It can well be that the object in the first picture has been altered to make it look like an ordinairy rock.

Is that a part of a bigger object 'they' try to cover-up? It looks like a piece of rusted metal...mechanical part of something bigger which lies out of the picture frame.

I'm almost convinced nasa has an algorithm running for straight edges and such and replace it with something more natural.

View Full image 2

Taking in consideration all the other "incidents" in such photo's there is most likely something going on Mars they do not want us to know.

edit on 23/1/2014 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

is it just me or does it look like the ground is wet in those pictures?

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
You're seeing panorama stitching artifacts. Here are the original images of the area that were used in the two panoramas.

One taken on Sol 137:
0137ML0817076000E1_DXXX.jpg

One taken on Sol 138:
0138ML0819066000E1_DXXX.jpg

As you can see, there's not much difference between the two photos (a slight change in perspective due to the rover moving a bit between when the photos were taken, but that's about it).

Any kind of panorama stitching is bound to generate some artifacts. I suggest trying out some panorama software yourself so you can see how such things can be introduced into the final image. That's why it's important to always go to the original images when doing any kind of analysis.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join