It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My country and its people are labelled as racists, and i have had enough!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I am sick of stereotypes portraying all Australians as racist.

I am sick of being labelled a racist due to my nationality.

I am sick of being labelled a racist by international citizens, based purely on videos on the internet.

I am sick of being labelled a racist due to the actions of which the British Empire had committed against the indigenous population.

I am sick of being told that Australians cannot celebrate their country's national holiday, as doing so would be racist.

I am sick of being told that Australians cannot fly their country's flag, nor present it publicly, as doing so would be racist.

I am sick of my country being portrayed as one of the most racist in the world, when there is no solid evidence to support that basis.

I am sick and all so tired of being labelled a racist due to international misconceptions of my country and its people.

---

Australia Day is yet again approaching, and so are the countless racism claims against the Australian people. These claims are based on stereotypes which have no foundation in truth. As such, i am sick of being tarred by this brush which affects all of us.

Why can't everyone just get along?

- Daas.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Canadian says, "WTH are you going on about?" This is the first I've heard of this.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

intrepid
Canadian says, "WTH are you going on about?" This is the first I've heard of this.

Agreed, from America. Never heard the rumors.

Paranoid much?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

intrepid

Really???

If you were Australian, this would be a different story

Seriously, we have been told that celebrating the national holiday is racist. We have also been told that flying the nation's flag is racist. We are also told that our country is an extremely racist one, even though there isn't much of a base to go on...

It's just been grinding away at me, and i thought i;d just have a short rant.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Racist?

I always pictured Australians drinking fosters and barbequing lots of shrimp.

but never racist.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yah errr, not sure anyone outside of Australia knows what this is about.

I'm guessing many Australians might not know?

Just throw a shrimp on the barbie, down a Foster's and cue up some good kangaroo boxing.

Everything's gonna be ok.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
must be a new Zealand/Australia thing

Over here Australia is know for their huge beers and poisonous creatures

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Who's been saying this and why do you listen? I've NEVER thought anything but good things about Australia. Except that my Demons have been sucking for a long time. I miss the 80's.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

nugget1

intrepid

Agreed, from America. Never heard the rumors.

Paranoid much?

That's not very nice. I'm not paranoid, lol.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Settle petal, lol.

If you think Australia day is bad, then head to new zealand for waitangi day on feb 6th. It should be renamed angry maori protest day instead things get that heated usually.

You are always going to get whiners and wingers trying to ruin our unity on these types of patriotic days. Just ignore them and fly your flag, barbie your prawns while drinking your beer and watching the cricket proudly. It's their problem, not yours after all.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

intrepid

Who's been saying this and why do you listen? I've NEVER thought anything but good things about Australia. Except that my Demons have been sucking for a long time. I miss the 80's.

A lot of people, ranging from university professors to random people. I try not to listen, but it builds up after hearing it for a fair while.

That's good to know. Thanks.

I wish time travel was real haha.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Are your teams racing at the Olympics this year?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I am sick of stereotypes portraying all Australians as racist.

Everyone gets stereotyped.

I am sick of being labelled a racist due to my nationality.

Again, that is generalization, i never assumed that when i see an aussie that they are racist. Well NZ maybe... but i think they are just ignorant.

I am sick of being labelled a racist by international citizens, based purely on videos on the internet.

Now, this i have heard stories... like Indian(from India) kids getting beat up for going to school?

I am sick of being labelled a racist due to the actions of which the British Empire had committed against the indigenous population.

That is Unfair

I am sick of being told that Australians cannot celebrate their country's national holiday, as doing so would be racist.

Which holiday is that?

I am sick of being told that Australians cannot fly their country's flag, nor present it publicly, as doing so would be racist.

I still see flags flying.

I am sick of my country being portrayed as one of the most racist in the world, when there is no solid evidence to support that basis.

There is lot of evidence for the treatment of International students and native populations.

I am sick and all so tired of being labelled a racist due to international misconceptions of my country and its people.

Same as above.
edit on 1/22/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

markosity1973

Settle petal, lol.

If you think Australia day is bad, then head to new zealand for waitangi day on feb 6th. It should be renamed angry maori protest day instead things get that heated usually.

You are always going to get whiners and wingers trying to ruin our unity on these types of patriotic days. Just ignore them and fly your flag, barbie your prawns while drinking your beer and watching the cricket proudly. It's their problem, not yours after all.

Thanks for the words of reassurance.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I don't view Australians as racist.

Canadians are a bit racist.

British are snobs.

Mexicans are dirty. (but have good food)

French are ...... you know.

Germans are scary.

Russians are homophobes.

I always viewed Australians as pretty laid back.

Maybe you know something we don't know.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
hey how come 2.3% of your populations accounts for 25% of inmates

Indigenous Australians and crime

Maybe there is a little racism after all

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

luciddream

Everyone gets stereotyped.

True.

Now, this i have heard stories... like Indian(from India) kids getting beat up for going to school?

Some isolated incidents do happen, but they are generally carried out by the lower spectrum of society. Such actions are used by a lot of individuals to attack Australia and Australians in general.

That is Unfair

Yeah, i agree.

Which holiday is that?

Australia Day.

I still see flags flying.

As do i. But it isn't stopping people from claiming that those who fly their flags are racist.

There is lot of evidence for the treatment of International students and native populations.

Both a treated fairly well by the majority of Australians, with only those on the lower class of society not approving of specific things. I have no problem with International students, or the indigenous population.

Yes, both groups are sometimes treated bad, but it is definitely not an indicator of the general attitudes of Australians.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

So its Australians being called rasist by Australians? Haven't heard much discriminatory talk about Aussies being bigots. The way I see it; everyone's potentially a "rasist" if they voice their opinion regarding a race other than their own. Or thats the breakdown of what theyre trying to learn us

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Indigent
hey how come 2.3% of your populations accounts for 25% of inmates

Indigenous Australians and crime

Maybe there is a little racism after all

I don't think that is wholly indicative of racism in Australian society.

The government has attempted to rectify the problem of Indigenous Australian incarceration through numerous methods.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

It true people view differently because the only way we know is thru Media, but media is god at exaggerating things.

They make it so we assume, there is also a car burning in middle of Iraq, women getting constantly raped in India, Iran is ready almost ready with a bomb etc etc... one thing get exaggerated and they get stereotyped.

Tho i never heard of Australians that way, but those internet news did turn eyes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join