It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coolest Way to Separate Egg Whites from Yolks

page: 1

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Hi, folks!

I don't usually come to this forum, but my mom sent me this cute vid, and I thought I'd post it here for you all. Very cool, very fast, very innovative!

I know how to cook, and am good at it; but as I get older, I keep looking for ways to avoid it. LOL

Anyway - here ya go!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Okay.

Coolest.
trick.
Ever!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I know! Right??

And a lot less messy. Don't know if I'd reuse the 'bottle' though - better to rinse and recycle!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
That was worth a star and flag. Now where in the H will I find a plastic bottle in our house.. I guess I could modify the plastic baster tube to do this, we have two or three of those around....

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

That would probably work! Try it and let us know!!

Or, you could use the baster to suck up the whites...

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
oh maaaaan! Last night i had to separate yoks!
I could have tried it!
Now ill have to look for a good excuse to try it, any recipes youd suggest?
Last night i had a chicken pie, dont feel like eating that again.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by payta

Now ill have to look for a good excuse to try it, any recipes youd suggest?

Omelets?

LOL sorry, that's all I've got at the moment. I don't usually bother with separating them; but I do know of a dish called "Eggs a la Golden Rod" -

Where you hard-boil the whole egg(s), then separate the white from the yolk (keeping the yolk round), chop up the white and stir it into some basic white sauce (made with butter and flour rue, then milk added) - pour the white sauce/egg white mixture (seasoned to your taste) over toast, then crumble or sieve the yolks on top - add paprika for some 'color' -
and...there you go!

Eggs a la Golden Rod!!
(from my childhood)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Sounds tasty! I love trying out american recipes, they are the best. I love the western omellet!
Ill be making them asap!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Wait so why is the traditional way looser?

How is it loose to begin with?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

What???
Sorry, boncho, not following you....

edit on 1/22/14 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Spelled wrong, should be Loser.. Loose = loosen your tight grip. Lose = you lose the game

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Wow, gonna have to try that!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

That is cool!!!

I want to try this when I make a quiche next. I use both parts of the egg but I break open 6 so I could play a little first.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Truly original... applause

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
That's a cool trick.
There are plastic egg seperaters you can buy cheap though ( under $4) and it's faster than this bottle thing. You just crack the egg into Center and the whites drain off into a bowl.
edit on 23-1-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

I do basically the same thing by just using my hand. Cup your hand with fingers slightly spread apart, crack the egg into the cupped hand, and the whites will slip through the slightly opened fingers and the yolk will stay in your hand. Then you just set the yolk aside. Can be done almost as fast as you can crack the eggs.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Bowl... I can do bowl... eggs... I can do eggs... bottle... uhm... crosses the line - j/k

Haha it's a cool method. So what benefits do separating out the yolks and whites do? Scrambled eggs with pure yolk? Mmm!
edit on 23amThu, 23 Jan 2014 03:31:01 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by AprilFooseball

Yes, but then your hand is covered in slimy egg white, and you have to wash them immediately before touching anything else so as not to spread any Salmonella or whatever that might be present all over your kitchen and utensils and cupboards. Plus it's gross, and you waste the white that gets washed down the drain!

See, that's the thing with me and the kitchen. I don't mind cooking, it's the CLEANING UP that I despise. Often, I would rather graze on nuts and cheese and raisins (or go hungry) rather than cook up something that will require cleaning afterward.

Especially after I've got it all spic and span - but that's the same for the rest of the house, too - after I've cleaned it, I don't want anyone (human or animal) going anywhere near anything!!

LOL

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Wow,
So coo l .I have wasted so much time
Thank you for sharing !!!!

new topics

top topics

join