It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BART Officer killed by fellow officer raiding empty apartment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

A BART police officer was fatally shot by a colleague while conducting a probation search Tuesday afternoon at an apartment in Dublin

Guessing they couldnt find a dog to shoot?

Schadenfreude aside a few oddities here.

The officers were there to serve a warrant for a suspect who was wanted in connection with several robberies that took place on BART property, Nelson said. Officers knew that the suspect, whose name was not released, was in custody at the time, he added.
link

They knew the suspect was in custody yet they were serving a warrant for said suspect at his empty apartment? The report doesnt say it was a search warrant. Just that it was a warrant for the suspect.

And for the conspiracy minded the fallen officer, Sgt. Tom Smith, Jr, was apparently an investigator on the Oscar Grant case:

The Senior Officer who accidentally shot and killed #BART Police Sgt. Tom Smith was also an investigator on the Oscar Grant case.
Alan Wang Twitter

ETA: that tweet says the officer who took the shot was involved in the Grant case. I read last night the deceased officer was as well but I can't seem to find the quote this morning. Either I dreamed it or it was edited out of the reports I read. I'll keep looking for it.
edit on 22-1-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Weird to hear of two bad judgement calls by emergency services in the Bay Area in such a short period of time. I'd just heard of the girl run over by a fire truck twice and sprayed with foam while still alive a few days ago (even though it happened in July).

www.dailymail.co.uk... urning-plane-run-TWICE-15-minutes-later.html

I'm sure this was purely an accident with this officer. What were they serving a warrant for? What was the empty apartment like - empty of furniture or just people? He may have thought he heard something - maybe it was actually the heater clicking on but with the second officer presenting as a shadow - with a dangerous suspect believed to be there. Was it dark? So many unknowns. I can't see it being on purpose.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Dianec... with a dangerous suspect believed to be there.

They knew the suspect wasn't there apparently.

The suspect was in custody at the time of the incident.
link

The warrant was for that suspect.

Given those two pieces of information: 1)warrant for suspect and 2)suspect was known to be in custody, there doesnt appear to any reason for the BART cops to be in the apartment.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Since they knew he was in custody, the empty apartment was very suspicious. Seems like a cover story, possible they were planting evidence. If one were to speculate, maybe one of the officers didn't agree with the corrupt criminal activities by the police, so he was silenced. But their cover story is a convoluted mess.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I think it's time we consider replacing their bullets with rubber pellets. .......seriously.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well at least there shooting each other now, that's an improvement.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Maybe someone can answer this for me. Why in the hell are BART officers conducting probation raids anyway? Don't they have municipal cops for that sort of thing? I'm just asking.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Battleline

I agree anytime a "Gang member" is killed and its by each other I say let em shoot it out, in the end you'll only have the good left, at least we can hope. Or in this case maybe the more corrupt got the less corrupt. Needless to say till the police change there ways all they are is more "gang members' to me just easily recognizable and with the power to kill at will without consequences....

So no lose especially after what happened and what they were investigating all corrupt P.O.S's in my opinion

SaneThinking

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Oops double post
edit on 22-1-2014 by NewsWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

poloblack
Maybe someone can answer this for me. Why in the hell are BART officers conducting probation raids anyway? Don't they have municipal cops for that sort of thing? I'm just asking.

I can answer this for you... The Bart cops were doing a Probation Search on the inmates residence looking for further evidence and for illegal items he may have possessed in his home before being arrested.
Being that he was on Formal Probation, officers check up on these individuals living situations all the time to make sure they are in Compliance with probationary terms.
An the reason BART cops were checking up on him is because he was being investigated for robberies and other criminal acts that occurred at various BART stations.

Also it's Dublin... I live next to Dublin and work there occasionally. From my experience with the area I can tell you they have a small population/police force so BART officers in Dublin probably do these low risk things to help fill the void in manpower.
Even though they are called BART Police, they are still very much still Police officers. Both these officers are Veterans as well so they probably have experience in this sort of thing.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Also I was on probation like 10years ago for Wreckless Driving so I have a little bit of knowledge how the system works here in the Bay Area.
I was just being an idiot one night when I was young and THANKFULLY didn't hurt anybody. I payed my restitution and did my time then was released on probation. I had never been in trouble before so I figured I was such a minor issue that I'd probably never see my probation officer after my first visit.
Lol boy was I wrong!! I had a home visit once a month by my probation officer and I had to be in his office once a Month for 2years. Which sucked but hey it was better than Jail and I was able to keep my job/apartment. I completed everything an never had another problem but I can tell you they DO NOT PLAY AROUND if you are on Probation here in the Bay Area they do check out your physical address regularly.
Looking back I hated it but now that I'm older with kids I understand it a little better. There is a ton of repeat offenders that get out of jail early on probation then do the same crimes that put em in jail in the first place.

top topics

join