It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers develop energy-dense sugar battery... This may actually happen.... wonderful!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
phys.org...

A Virginia Tech research team has developed a battery that runs on sugar and has an unmatched energy density, a development that could replace conventional batteries with ones that are cheaper, refillable, and biodegradable.

Check: Unmatched energy density

In America alone, billions of toxic batteries are thrown away every year, posing a threat to both the environment and human health, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Zhang's development could help keep hundreds of thousands of tons of batteries from ending up in landfills.

Check: Environmentally friendly

Different from hydrogen fuel cells and direct methanol fuel cells, the fuel sugar solution is neither explosive nor flammable and has a higher energy storage density. The enzymes and fuels used to build the device are biodegradable.

Amazing... Just hope they are able to bring it to market

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Sweet!

(second line)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Science is so wonderful these days we live in a golden era. My son is 8 and im pushing him to embrace science. He wants to be a Scientist and I continually do Experiments with him and take him to Museums and Science Fairs. To keep him into it and active as much as possible so he will be driven and excited to be a scientist when he gets older. I make it as fun as I can for him but very educational. He really gets into it he ask me why i didnt become a scientist? I tell him cause daddy did not have the opertunitys in life that he has and will have. I wanted to be a Geologist but could never afford to take but a few night classes a year of college cause my parents were very poor and I had too work full time since age 14.

I cant imagine what kind of new glorious invention the scientist and inventors will come up with by the time he is my age it will be amazing im sure especially in the medical and tech fields
The future is now we live in such a awesome time

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

pez1975
Science is so wonderful these days we live in a golden era. My son is 8 and im pushing him to embrace science. He wants to be a Scientist and I continually do Experiments with him and take him to Museums and Science Fairs. To keep him into it and active as much as possible so he will be driven and excited to be a scientist when he gets older. I make it as fun as I can for him but very educational. He really gets into it he ask me why i didnt become a scientist? I tell him cause daddy did not have the opertunitys in life that he has and will have. I wanted to be a Geologist but could never afford to take but a few night classes a year of college cause my parents were very poor and I had too work full time since age 14.

I cant imagine what kind of new glorious invention the scientist and inventors will come up with by the time he is my age it will be amazing im sure especially in the medical and tech fields
The future is now we live in such a awesome time

Very good sir and very good for your child already knowing what he wants to be or do (he may change his mind several times but at least he is thinking)... I was the same way and there was never a time I did not know what I wanted to do for a living. Many road blocks but the dream I sought was finally fulfilled. To many parents say, "Oh that's nice" and turn their back on their children... A word of encouragement goes along way sometimes.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Amazing... Just hope they are able to bring it to market

Don't hold your breath!

Awesome find either way! Once more and more of these cheap/clean energy sources keep popping up, eventually they will hit the market by storm...Hopefully sooner rather than later though!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Bedlam
Sweet!

(second line)

I see what you did there!

S&F OP

new topics

top topics

join